From the moment you pick up iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, you know how to use it. That’s because iOS was designed to be easy to understand. The simple-yet-beautiful Home screen invites you to discover each of the built-in apps. So right away, you’re browsing your favourite websites, capturing a few candids or texting your friends. And no matter what you’re doing or what app you’re using, everything feels easy, intuitive and even fun.
Because Apple makes both the hardware and the operating system for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, everything is designed to work together. So apps take full advantage of hardware features such as the dual-core processor, accelerated graphics, wireless antennas and more. Multitasking is a perfect example. iOS learns when you like to use your apps and updates the content in them at power-efficient times, like when your device is already in use and connected to Wi-Fi. So the content in your favourite apps stays up to date without a major drain on your battery.
iOS is the platform for over a million mobile apps — and counting.1 And every app starts with the right DNA. So we’ve made iOS 8 the biggest release for developers since the introduction of the App Store. It offers new APIs to enable even more amazing features and bold new technologies for game development. And the App Store makes all of these apps easy to access, easy to search and easy to buy using the same account you use for iTunes. Just browse the App Store on your iOS device and download them with a tap.
iCloud Drive lets you access all your files from any device. iCloud also stores your music, apps, mail, contacts, calendars, documents and more, and wirelessly pushes them to all of your devices.
With Family Sharing, all of your photos, videos, music and iTunes purchases can be shared easily with your family across multiple Apple devices. Find My iPhone helps you locate your lost iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac. And iCloud Keychain securely remembers your user names, passwords and credit card information so you don’t have to.2 Learn more about iCloud
iOS updates are free. And they’re available to download wirelessly on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch the moment they’re released. Your device even alerts you when it’s time to get the latest version. So you won’t miss out on all the amazing features in new updates.
iOS includes a variety of accessibility features that help people with disabilities experience more of what iPhone, iPad and iPod touch have to offer. The built-in VoiceOver screen reader allows those who are blind or have low vision to hear a description of the item they’re touching on the screen. Made for iPhone Hearing Aids are Bluetooth devices that allow you to experience clearer phone conversations and music, while managing it directly from your iOS device. With Guided Access, you can restrict an iOS device to one app by disabling the Home button, and even limit touch input to certain areas of the screen depending on the amount of time spent in an app. Which can be helpful to people with autism or other attention and sensory challenges. And Switch Control gives individuals with limited physical or motor skills complete control of their device through switch access. iOS also offers many other beneficial accessibility features, such as dynamic screen magnification, playback of closed-captioned video, mono audio, simplified screen gestures and more. Learn more about accessibility in iOS
iPhone, iPad and iPod touch support keyboard and dictionary functions for multiple languages and dialects.
iOS lets you take your pick of over 35 system languages and easily switch between them. Because the keyboard is software based, you can select from over 55 different layouts with support for diacritic marks on characters and contextual character options for Japanese. VoiceOver reads screens in more than 35 languages, and Voice Control understands over 20 languages.
- Refers to the total number worldwide. Not all content is available in all countries.
- Family Sharing requires a personal Apple ID signed in to iCloud and iTunes. Music, movies, TV shows and books can be downloaded on up to 10 devices per account, five of which can be computers. iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite are required to set up or join a Family Sharing group and are recommended for full functionality. Not all content is eligible for Family Sharing. Content can be hidden by family members; hidden content is not available for download. Content downloaded from family members or acquired via redemption codes is not subject to Ask to Buy.
- iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later), iPad or iPad mini; a Mac computer with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later; or a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Outlook 2007 or later or an up‑to‑date browser is required for accessing email, contacts and calendars). Some features require iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. Some features require a Wi‑Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
- Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. Click here to see complete list.
- X-Men: First Class is available on iTunes. X-Men: First Class © 2011 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and Dune Entertainment III LLC. © 2013 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. All rights reserved. Marvel TM and © 2011 Marvel & Subs.