What is life expectancy?
Some competitors advertise that their hard disk will keep photos for a 100 years, how long will the AirPort Time Capsule keep my precious photos?
- Asked by Lise T from Alexandria
- Flag as inappropriate (What is life expectancy?)
1 Answer from the Community
No hard drive will last for 100 years. It is probably flash memory that you are seeing that quoted on, but that will come in much smaller capacities (typically 8GB-64GB) and a much higher cost-per-gigabyte than the Time Capsule, and of course, do not include a fairly high end wireless router.
Hard drives have an average lifespan of approximately 5 years, but there are plenty of outliers, with some lasting 10 years and some only 10 minutes. And of course, the Time Capsule also contains a wireless router, which in itself will probably only last 3-5 years of continuous usage. That is why the recommendation for backups is always to have multiple backups, and preferably, to have at least one backup "offsite" (that is, not in the same physical location as your other backups), as the odds of multiple backups failing simultaneously is vanishingly small.
- Answered by Andrew R from Victoria
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
What's the Life Expectancy of an AirPort Extreme router
- Asked by Juan A. A from San Antonio
- Flag as inappropriate (What's the Life Expectancy of an AirPort Extreme router)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
What is the life expectancy of the batteries? What is the indication that the batteries are low/need replacement?
- Asked by Jay S from New Bern
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the life expectancy of the batteries? What is the indication that the batteries are low/need replacement?)
- Asked about: Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with C…
What is the life of the bulbs
- Asked by Karen L from Old Bridge
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the life of the bulbs)
- Asked about: Philips Hue Connected Bulb - Single…
No answers yet