Similar questions from the community
Will The Apple Extreme replace the BT Home Hub (Black one)
I am on BT Infinity and have a Home Hub (think it is HH3 - the black one) and I am having major issues using my Apple TV's (ATV 2 and ATV3) with the HH due to constant network drop outs. Will The Extreme replace my HH ) I have a BT modem connected to the Hh which I could connect to the extreme).
- Asked by Jason F
- Flag as inappropriate (Will The Apple Extreme replace the BT Home Hub (Black one))
Is the new Extreme totally Windows 8 compatible? My current extreme keeps dropping my wifi signal on an HP Windows 8 machine...?
- Asked by Monte S from Chicago
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the new Extreme totally Windows 8 compatible? My current extreme keeps dropping my wifi signal on an HP Windows 8 machine...?)
USB hub connected to Airport Extreme. Can you suggest an auto switching usb hub?
I have a USB printer & backup HDD connected to my Airport Extreme & the printer keeps going off line as the HDD is being accessed & have to reboot the hub each time.
- Asked by John O from Rozelle
- Flag as inappropriate (USB hub connected to Airport Extreme. Can you suggest an auto switching usb hub?)
Is an Airport Express is good enough to extend a network from a Airport Extreme in a 3000sq ft home?
I own a 5th generation Airport Extreme but the signal never gets through to the second floor. Many people have suggested getting the Airport Express to extend the network, but I have also been told that by replacing my Airport Extreme with the new version (which I have been told is much better) would fix my problem.
- Asked by Ana R from North Miami Beach
- Flag as inappropriate (Is an Airport Express is good enough to extend a network from a Airport Extreme in a 3000sq ft home?)
Can I use multiple airport extremes to improve connectivity in a house?
I live in a 70 year old townhouse that is constructed of poured concrete. We currently have our cable modem and (older than 5 year) airport extreme router in the basement with our computers. The signal strength to the main floor is weak, even with a booster. The signal strength on the top floor is terrible. Can I improve wireless reception throughout the house if I upgrade the basement router to a new airport extreme and also install airport extreme routers on the main and top floors as signal boosters? Can I leave the cable modem in the basement or should I move it to the first floor where there is a cable connection? Is there a better solution to improve wireless connectivity in this home situation?
- Asked by Steven P from Chicago
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use multiple airport extremes to improve connectivity in a house?)
Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?
At present I have a Time Capsule next to my router and an Airport Express elsewhere in the house to extend the range. However I still have areas where I cannot receive WiFi. If I replace the Express with an Extreme will I get a better and more far reaching signal? Or should I just buy another Express?
- Asked by Margaret S from Tiverton
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?)
How is the Airport Extreme more secure than other routers?
I have a neighbor who is a determined wi-fi hacker who has been able to hack into my network no matter how difficult the passwords. Can I turn down the power on the extreme so his signal is weak? What features on this unit will help me thwart his efforts? I've already turned off WPS on my current router, UPnP and all that other stuff. I know MAC filtering is useless as is hiding the SSID. What can I do to make the router secure?
- Asked by Karen E from Santa Rosa
- Flag as inappropriate (How is the Airport Extreme more secure than other routers?)
If I have a windows laptop, do I have to/ can I set the airport extreme 2013 up with my ipad? Or will Airport utility be available for Windows 7?
I have a Windows 7 laptop, and my current router, a Linksys WRT110, isn't cutting it. It constantly drops signals/ crashes, and I will need my own router (the linksys is my parents') when I move out. I am trying to decide between this, and the new Asus router, but I heard that Airport utility 6.0 and later aren't compatible with Windows.
Is it going to be compatible in the future?
Can I use Utility 5.6.1 with the 2013 Airport extreme?
Can I setup the airport extreme with the Utility app on my iPad?
- Asked by Jordan H from Archbold
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have a windows laptop, do I have to/ can I set the airport extreme 2013 up with my ipad? Or will Airport utility be available for Windows 7?)
would the airport extreme replace a lynksys router
We live in an apartment that is 180 square meters, and currently re using a lynksys router. I was reading about the Airport Extreme and was wondering if I can replace the router. Currently the signal comes and goes and it is difficult in certain areas of the apartment
We have an ethernet connection with the internet supplier at 25 mg speed. How will this product improve what we already have?
- Asked by Victoria C from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate (would the airport extreme replace a lynksys router)
Can one Airport Extreme (802.11ac) improve the performance of a new iMac (802.11ac) in a small Airport network?
I’m swapping out my 5 year old iMac for a new 27” iMac, which supports 802.11ac. If I purchase just one Apple Airport Extreme (which supports 802.11ac) will it improve the new iMac’s performance, given the network configuration in my house? Here are the details.
My ISP is Comcast and I have an xfinity modem. I have an older Apple Airport Extreme as my network “hub”. It is cabled to the Comcast modem. Both are located in upstairs bedroom.
Also upstairs, in the office (down the hall from the bedroom) I have an Apple Airport Express, the old iMac and my wireless printer. The new iMac will replace the old iMac in the office.
Downstairs is a second Apple Airport Express, cabled directly to WiFi stereo speakers. Also downstairs, but in a different room, is an Apple TV connected to an HDTV.
1. If I purchase a new Extreme, but use it to replace the Express that sits adjacent to the iMac, am I correct to presume that I won’t see any improvement in the new iMac's performance over the performance I'd get with my existing Airport equipment? (In this scenareo the “hub” of my network would remain the old Extreme located in the bedroom.) The new Extreme (802.11ac) and new iMac (both located in the office) would have a fast 802.11ac link between them, but slower links would exist between the Extreme and everything else. Correct?
2. If I use a new Extreme to replace the old “hub” Extreme in the bedroom (that connects directly to my Comcast modem) it will be about 45 ft from the new iMac with many walls in between (some of which are tiled).
- Am I correct to assume that it is too far away to reliably support the iMac in the office?
- If I continue to use the old Express in the office, with a new Extreme in the bedroom, I would maintain the same signal reliability that I have now, but would have no increase in throughput speed performance. Correct?
- Would a second Extreme be needed in the office, in clear range of the new iMac?
- Asked by Dennis H from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate (Can one Airport Extreme (802.11ac) improve the performance of a new iMac (802.11ac) in a small Airport network?)
what is a airport extreme/express. Does it make wifi faster, if so would it work with a clear in home wireless router
- Asked by Nolan B from Arlington
- Flag as inappropriate (what is a airport extreme/express. Does it make wifi faster, if so would it work with a clear in home wireless router)
Can the Airport Extreme signal travel through household appliances?
- Asked by Roseann F from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Extreme signal travel through household appliances?)
Does Airport Express or Airport Extreme Time Capsule allow me to use iTunes HomeSharing on my Apple TV without using an internet connection?
The Reason I ask is because I am using Home Sharing over my Wi-Fi and it is extremely slow to upload a movie and I am not sure if it uses up my data?
- Asked by Cameron Kyle S from Johannesburg
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Airport Express or Airport Extreme Time Capsule allow me to use iTunes HomeSharing on my Apple TV without using an internet connection?)
Airport Extreme with Wifi Broadband Stick
Currently, I am using a wifi stick attached to my router with USB (for 3G) to share my unlimited internet to all my device. I would like to know if I can extend or improve my connection by using Airport Extreme, aside from the features already mentioned e.g. HD sharing, printer sharing etc.
- Asked by Eric P from Beverly Hills
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport Extreme with Wifi Broadband Stick)
No answers yet
i have an airport extreme, can i add an airport express in another room to boost signal?
- Asked by Alejandro G from San Antonio
- Flag as inappropriate (i have an airport extreme, can i add an airport express in another room to boost signal?)
I need to be able to secure my Airport & Express to keep employees from stealing them. Any suggestions?
AirPort Extreme & Express are in a high traffic area. I am afraid that employees will steal them and need to be able secure them so that they don't "walk" off. I've searched online for security locks but I'm not having much luck. I found one by a UK company but I am hoping to find a US based company. Any referrals will be appreciated.
- Asked by Ayman A from Jackson
- Flag as inappropriate (I need to be able to secure my Airport & Express to keep employees from stealing them. Any suggestions?)
Can this AirPort Extreme support uPnP required by my home server?
- Asked by Howard L from Fremont
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this AirPort Extreme support uPnP required by my home server?)