Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
434 Questions from the Community
Will it work with windows 7 and samsung
- Asked by Brian H from Keighley
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it work with windows 7 and samsung)
Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?
So, I have this old macbook and would buy this time capsule if I can use it to transfer everything from my old computer to a brand new one that I just ordered. Does this work? Will I be able to keep all my programs such as Word, Powerpoint, even my games without having to RE-BUY them?
- Asked by John B from Astoria
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?)
Yes, do a normal Time Machine back to the Time Capsule and use the documented procedure to restore on your new device. Using a new Time Capsule, transfer rate are awesome, took 3 hours on my wife's MacBook Pro.
- Answered by Frederic L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?)
Would i be able to move my iTunes library on to this and have a wired connection between this and my iMac then also have it wirelessly to my macbook?
Would i be able to move my iTunes library on to this and have a wired connection between this and my iMac then also have a wireless connection to my macbook. In theory i would be able to import a CD to my iMac (the master for iTunes) and then have it also on my macbook in iTunes.
No answers yet
Is the AirPort Time Capsule a server also? I now pay a monthly fee for a router and server. Can I get rid of this other company ?
- Asked by Jeffery W from Drakesboro
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the AirPort Time Capsule a server also? I now pay a monthly fee for a router and server. Can I get rid of this other company ?)
Does the time capsule work with my existing wireless network
I have a existing dual band wireless network through Bright house . Can I use the Apple time capsule or should I simply use a network compatible memory storage device.
- Asked by Lois H from Heathrow
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the time capsule work with my existing wireless network)
Yes you can use the time capsule.
You can also use a network compatible memory storag if your existing wireless device support it. But you will not get the advantage of automatic backups offered by the timecapsule.
- Answered by Shathish H from Segamat
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the time capsule work with my existing wireless network)
Does the Time Capsule router create a physical firewall?
- Asked by Raymond A B from Myrtle Beach
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule router create a physical firewall?)
Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?
- Asked by Ben M from O'connor
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?)
Yes. In AirPort Utility go to the Internet tab and click on the dropdown menu that has DHCP selected. Select PPPoE and fill out the form with your ISP's supplied information.
- Answered by Jared B from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?)
Can I put the Airport Time Capsule on a physical LAN (wired) in my house which has one other Wireless router on it (Netgear)?
My goal is to get an extended wireless network through a large house. i have CAT5 cabling through the house and can physically connect the two devices with one being the gateway DHCP router and connection to the cable modem. My other device is a newer Netgear WNDR 3400 which I'm fairly sure can be setup in what is called a "Bridge Mode" which I understand sets it up as a repeater. Thanks of your help.
I have Apple TV, many iDevices, an iMAC workstation and several laptops in the house. Would love to share common storage and extend the network.
- Asked by R Lee P from Morrisville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I put the Airport Time Capsule on a physical LAN (wired) in my house which has one other Wireless router on it (Netgear)?)
We are a family of 6 all with apple devices. Is the time capsule multi user capable? Specifically around the backup and sharing areas?Answer
Not sure about 6, but multi-user yes. When setting up Time Machine, it will present you all and any available drives on your network. Simply use it for each as long as the name of the computer is not the same.
Does the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) allow USB or Ethernet-connected drive to be used as part of the Time Capsule functionality?
Would like to explore connecting a USB-drive-enclosure and/or an Ethernet-drive-enclosure to allow more backup space to be available to users on my home network. Even if this would supercede the internal drive, I would find it preferable to other options like SLUG or FreeNAS which can be cheaper but potentially less-reliable.
For example, an Ethernet-capable NAS of, say, 10TB could be connected to one of the Gigabit ports, but would the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) recognize it as an extension of the internal storage, and therefore part of the Time Capsule storage media used for native Mac backups?
If there's not a way to do that, how arduous or risky is it to move the existing backups from the Time Capsule's internal drive to an external drive (ex: Ethernet-connected NAS) to free-up space on the 2TB/3TB internal drive, without corrupting the contents of that internal drive? Is there a way to initiate the move from within the Time Capsule itself, and thereby avoiding downloading/uploading all of that content over-the-network (to/from the PC) unnecessarily?
- Asked by Harlan H from Mequon
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) allow USB or Ethernet-connected drive to be used as part of the Time Capsule functionality?)
Can I access my iTunes content that is stored on the time capsule using homesharing on iPad/iphone without my mac being turned on?
I currently use home sharing to access iTunes content on my iPad/iphone when at home. My mac has to be turned on to do this. If I purchase an airport time capsule will this mean I can access the content using homesharing on ipad/iphone that is backed up on the time capsule drive without the mac being turned on?Answer
I'm using File Browser app,wich give me access from my iphone to the content on my time capsule wireless.hope to be helpfull.
how does it work with i tunes ? is it seamless
- Asked by Andrew W from Bonbeach
- Flag as inappropriate (how does it work with i tunes ? is it seamless)
Can you wirelessly backup your iphone photos?
- Asked by Joseph P from Wakefield
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you wirelessly backup your iphone photos?)
Unfortunately the iphone cannot back up directly to the timecapsule, there must be an intermediate step of a computer.
With the iPhone you have two options for backing up photos (and other things on the device). First, is to back up over your local network to your computer (I am assuming for both of these options your iPhone is a 3GS or newer) . This option requires the computer to be on and connected to the same wireless network for backup to occur. The second, and preferable option is to set up iCloud. This will backup all your iPhone data to the cloud, however this only works for 30 most recent days of photos, so you would need to pull them to the computer before the 30 days.
Either way, you need to get your photos onto a computer then backup the computer.
The only other option I have found that works really well is Dropbox camera upload, so that might be something to investigate.
I hope this all makes sense, and feel free to ask follow up questions.
- Answered by Thomas A
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you wirelessly backup your iphone photos?)
Assuming I set my iPad to back up to my Mac (using iTunes) and then the Airport Express backs up my Mac then I should be covered ? Does this work ?Answer
Yes, as long as you are backing up you entire mac hard drive. If not, then just make sure that you're backing up the location where your iPad backups reside. By default this folder is - /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ (where USERNAME is your specified login name).
- Answered by Jorge L from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Assuming I set my iPad to back up to my Mac (using iTunes) and then the Airport Express backs up my Mac then I should be covered ? Does this work ?)
- Answered by Christopher B from San Antonio
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do the new Airport Extreme and Time Capsule have a security slot for a cable lock?)
In previous models the broadcast power level can be changed. Can the power level be changed to a lower level on This model (10% - 100%)?
I live in an area w/ a large number of units. The power level variance is valuable as it will limit the reception area and potential interference and my maximum exposure.
- Asked by Adric M from Fairfax
- Flag as inappropriate (In previous models the broadcast power level can be changed. Can the power level be changed to a lower level on This model (10% - 100%)?)
Multiple WAN addresses
My ISP allowed me a /30 subnet, so I can use multiple static IPs.
Is it possible to configure the WAN interface on this Airport capsule with multiple IP adresses ?
- Asked by Thierry M from Longueuill
- Flag as inappropriate (Multiple WAN addresses)
is Radio output power: 32.5 dBm safe to use in a child's bedroom. 32.5dBm is the power output of a class1 3G mobile phone.