Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
520 Questions from the Community
I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?
We just purchased a new router, so I do not need wi-fi ... I do however need extra space for dvds that I have loaded on my mac. Am I able to use the Time Capsule for storage? will my apple tv be able to play my movies?
- Asked by Brandon K from Pewaukee
- Flag as inappropriate (I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?)
Yes you can. When you go to set up AirPort Utility it will ask you whether you want to use Time Capsule as a router, it will have several options. And you can select no to the router and choose to just make it a wireless hard drive.
- Answered by Tristan T from North Port
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?)
It backs up everything stored locally inside your computer.
- Answered by David C
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Airport Time Capsule-2TB back-up all data located on the hard drive (Email, Photos, etc.))
Yes you always need an external hard drive! iCloud/iTunes Match does NOT back up your uploaded music you've imported into iTunes (CDs...). It only backs up iTunes music that's available in the iTunes store available in your country. Be advised, your "purchased" iTunes music is NOT yours to own, but yours to manage. Back it up so you can always import it again in the future if that music has been deleted from the iTunes store. Happens too frequently. I found this out the hard way. I say have a plan, then have a back up plan.
- Answered by Graham S from Columbus
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am backing up my MacBook pro and my iphone etc. to the Apple cloud. Do I need The Time Capsule also?)
Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone
- Asked by Michael P from Valley Park
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone)
Yes you can backup your iOS device, but only through your Mac. Backup your iOS device to your Mac regularly and backup your Mac to your Time Machine regularly. That is also free as opposed to buying iCloud storage for backups.
- Answered by Buford N from Renton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone)
is the output ethernet signal from the time capsule slower than the input
The Input ethernet signal is over 50Mb/sec but the output signal from any of the three output jacks is around 10Mb/sec
- Asked by George S from Aptos
- Flag as inappropriate (is the output ethernet signal from the time capsule slower than the input)
Can I use my time capsule for wifi and cancel my cable wifi?
- Asked by Wendy D from Woodbury
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my time capsule for wifi and cancel my cable wifi?)
Can I back my MacBook onto two separate Airport Time Capsules via Time Machine: one TC used as wireless router, the second TC to extend the WiFi?
I already have an Airport Time Capsule, which I use as my wireless router, as well as backing my MacBook on it via Time Machine.
If I got a second Time Capsule which I would use to extend the WiFi, could I set Time Machine to back my MacBook onto both Time Capsules?
Why is the yellow light blinking on my time capsule?
- Asked by Linda E from Mpls
- Flag as inappropriate (Why is the yellow light blinking on my time capsule?)
Could be a few things. If you have an iPhone, you can download the Airport Utility app and it will tell you what the problem is.
If your wifi is still functioning correctly, more than likely you just need to update the firmware. So far I've encountered the blinking yellow light when there's an update, no internet connection, and the occasional random automatic reset. (Not sure if the automatic reset is an intentional thing or a glitch, but either way, the light blinks while it is resetting and then goes off once it is done.)
- Answered by Britni W from Mobile
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Why is the yellow light blinking on my time capsule?)
is this good for a late 2013 iMac 21.5 inch
- Asked by Cathy C from Southport
- Flag as inappropriate (is this good for a late 2013 iMac 21.5 inch)
Does the Time capsule have an active PFC?
I am looking for an uninterruptible power supply to keep my network up during power outages. One of the units will not work with Active PFC's - which the author notes is the type of power supply in newer computers.
Does anyone know what type of power supply unit the Time Capsule has (I have the 2 Tb unit - it is about 1 year old). model a1470
- Asked by Phil S from Worthington
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time capsule have an active PFC?)
You could but unless you need some feature in the newer Time Capsule then that's probably not the most economical solution. You can add an external hard drive to your 1TB Time Capsule via the USB port.
- Answered by Colin L from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I own a 1TB time capsule and need more capacity. Do I buy the airport time capsule?)
I would like to use two time capsules as wireless hard drives only. Can I transfer the same data to two time capsules at the same time? (Raid System)?
No answers yet
can I use this to backup my MacBook Pro and iPad and store my 24000 photos that are currently in iPhoto and are syncing on both my phone and computer?
No answers yet
can i use my old time capsule on my new time capsule network as a network storage device?
I just purchased a new Time Capsule and plan to use it as my wireless router. I would like to use my old time capsule as a network storage device to archive photos, for example. How do I set it up properly?
- Asked by John C from Lake Oswego
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my old time capsule on my new time capsule network as a network storage device?)
I have a PC. Will this backup Quicken
- Asked by Sue C from Peoria
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a PC. Will this backup Quicken)
Can I daisy chain two airport time capsules?
- Asked by Patti K from Ventura
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I daisy chain two airport time capsules?)
Can a Time Capsule, take a backup of both, MacBook Pro and Windows PC 8.1?
- Asked by Rohant K from Abu Dhabi
- Flag as inappropriate (Can a Time Capsule, take a backup of both, MacBook Pro and Windows PC 8.1?)