Questions & Answers for AirPort Extreme
483 Questions from the Community
what is AC iphone in 5s stand for ??
my iphone 5s is Immerses in the water and not working. i put it in rice for two days
after that , i go to maintenance in some store , he said you have to replace the part called AC in order to functioning well
what is AC , and its important to power on the device????
- Asked by Ahmad M from Springfield Gardens
- Flag as inappropriate (what is AC iphone in 5s stand for ??)
DHCP address ranges with NAT.....can they be changed?
By default I believe (correct me if I am wrong here) , you are only allowed IP addresses starting with 10.0, 172.16, and 192.168. I have a need to distribute a different range due to some of the older equipment we have with "pre set" addresses in a different range. Can the ranges offered by this unit be varied to something else that is not "predetermined"?
- Asked by Robert Y from Aiken
- Flag as inappropriate (DHCP address ranges with NAT.....can they be changed?)
Recomendations for a cable modem
Are there any recommendations for the best cable modem to use with Airport Extreme
- Asked by Cindy B from Lexington
- Flag as inappropriate (Recomendations for a cable modem)
You would want to contact your cable company to make sure you have the latest modem. They should upgrade you, if you are renting the modem from them. Also, your download/upload speed is determined by your internet plan with the cable company. The speed of the AE won't mean anything if you are paying for a slower internet connection. It will however help for transferring files between computers, and things like that.
- Answered by Scott P from Sioux Falls
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Recomendations for a cable modem)
What is the range of airport express vs extreme?
- Asked by S B from Advance
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the range of airport express vs extreme?)
what is the maxium range for air port extreme
- Asked by Jude N from Newport News
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the maxium range for air port extreme)
Does this new AirPort Extreme stay cool? My older Extreme gets hot to the touch. It's on a shelf, unobstructed in a room with A/C at about 70 degrees.
as per apple documentation and disclaimer on the bottom of the page:
"Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network"
- Answered by Eric B from Bronx
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If i have an 802.11g device, will that slow down my 802.11N or 802.11AC devices when using this router?)
AE setting up a new network vs extending an existing network is new better? Looking to boost Wifi in low signal places in the house & outside.
I have a 6 mg internet connection with CenturyLink using a Zytel PK-5001Z modem. I have 100 ft ethernet cables ran from modem to ethernet switches TE100-S5 TRENDnet fast ethernet switch to iMacs, Apple Tv's & Roku box through out the house. Of course the iPad's & iPhones use wifi. Wifi strength varies of course depending where in the house you are which is very annoying. We just got Wifi calling with Sprint & if 1 iPhone is using wifi calling you can't stream or down;road anything or the wifi call just becomes impossible to continue. That makes no since because at most per Sprint documentation at most it should use 1mg only 1/6 th of my bandwidth. I totally don't understand adding the AE to an existing network means bridging & other settings I don't feel comfortable with. But if I add a new network it would be for the wifi devices like iPads & iPhones correct. the existing network SSID CenturyLink 8851 would be for all the ethernet connected stuff right? 1 SSID for ethernet thing & SSID AE for all devices Wifi right? CenturyLink has advised me that they will not help with CPE equipment & they know nothing about (is that not insane or what?) with the great community of all of us i hope not to need Apple Supports help.
Since the Modem is in the kitchen kinda of close to a Microwave user manual says 25 ft away I'm going to run a 50ft ethernet cable from back of the modem to the AE in the family room into the Wan Port right? Very excited about the AE because it will be the perfect place to connect the Hue Lights bridge. just waiting on HomeKit & WWDC. And being able to not using Wemo switches. So do I have this right? Have I figured it out correctly? Look forward to your feedback.
No answers yet
My initial network is in my house and have a detached metal shop about 100 yards away. what is the best wireless setup to jump that distance?
- Asked by Clifford B from Polo
- Flag as inappropriate (My initial network is in my house and have a detached metal shop about 100 yards away. what is the best wireless setup to jump that distance?)
No answers yet
Can I use the time capsule as a harddrive instead of back up
- Asked by Mike M from Perth
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the time capsule as a harddrive instead of back up)
can I use this product with a windows computer
- Asked by Amy N from Centerville
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use this product with a windows computer)
Can the 2.4GHz radio be turned off?
I need to use only the 5GHz radio, turn off the 2.4GHz radio to limit interference.
I have submitted this question, now a 4th time! Please post! My first attempt was over the last weekend.
- Asked by Mark D from Ridgeland
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the 2.4GHz radio be turned off?)
what device is best for boosting wireless signal
- Asked by Frederick D from Schererville
- Flag as inappropriate (what device is best for boosting wireless signal)
Does the Airport Extreme work on rooms that normally don't receive wifi? I have a room in the basement that does't receive wifi, could it work?
The room has an electricity box but we have a tv with cable. Wifi reaches in every place in the basement except that room.
- Asked by Natali L from Vienna
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Extreme work on rooms that normally don't receive wifi? I have a room in the basement that does't receive wifi, could it work?)
There are many factors regarding your issue such as "how far is your router?" and "are there many obstructions between the router and your basement?".
Based on my testing however, I got much improved range when as compared to my old Airport Express 5th gen(which was no slouch).
I recommend you try it out first as i have a feeling that this router will work out for you. If not, then consider adding an airport express to extend the network to your basement.
I have the AT&T Uverse with their modem installed, would switching theirs for the Extreme work or no?
I heard that this works best with other companies who don't offer modems.
- Asked by Luis I from Inglewood
- Flag as inappropriate (I have the AT&T Uverse with their modem installed, would switching theirs for the Extreme work or no?)
What is the approximate wifi range for this device?
- Asked by Joseph A from New Haven
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the approximate wifi range for this device?)
Most users observe that it is about 150-200 feet. However, it will very GREATLY, depending upon obstructions, buildings, walls/floors in between devices, thick metal objects, ETC. I will say however, with many of the WIFI routers I've used, none come close to the range and speed of this one yet. If you have a lot of WIFI networks in your neighborhood, this one really seems to help cut down on interference too.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the approximate wifi range for this device?)