Similar questions from the community
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- Nov 16, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
Will having a printer in the USB port of the AirPort Express allow me to print?
I have an HP printer that is not AirPrint capable. The printer does have wireless capability as I can print using my laptop PC but not my iPad or iPhone. If I hook it up to the USB port on the AirPort Express will I be able to print from my iPad or iPhones?
- Asked by Adrian K from Spartanburg
- Jul 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will having a printer in the USB port of the AirPort Express allow me to print?)
Can i use my airport express to both extend my network and connect a printer for wireless printing at the same time or do i need two airport expresses
I have an airport express hooked up to a printer in my office which is located a considerable distance from my base station and I have an IMac in my office as well. I was hoping that the airport express could be configured to extend my network as well as be used to connect the printer to the network. When I go to configure it it is more of an either one or the other proposition by asking me if I want to do one or the other during the set up. Do I need two airport expresses if I want to do both things?
- Asked by Kevin M from Ridgewood
- Jun 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use my airport express to both extend my network and connect a printer for wireless printing at the same time or do i need two airport expresses)
can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express
I have a Brother Laser printer that is wireless 2270DW and an epson wireless printer that students are using in an dorm. I have set secure wireless network but need to know if these two printers can print wirelessly or do they need to be connected via printer cable to Airport Express to perform wireless printing? Last but not least you us a spliter on the USB outlet on the Airport express and hardwire the two printers via printer cables?
- Asked by Chris P from Sandy Springs
- Aug 7, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express)
Can I connect a network printer to the airport express using the Eathernet port and then print from my ipad or iPhone using AirPrint .
- Asked by Marcus M from Seattle
- Dec 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a network printer to the airport express using the Eathernet port and then print from my ipad or iPhone using AirPrint .)
Using Airport Express with a windows pc/and spotify
Is there a way to play music through my Pc's Spotify app to my Airport Express?
- Asked by Kathryn G from Spring
- Dec 19, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Using Airport Express with a windows pc/and spotify)
Do I need a fast internet connection if I plan to use AirPort Express only to stream music from my iOS device to AirPort Express-connected speakers?
What I'm trying to set up is this: I have a primary router in one room, and then I'll have AirPort Express in another room. The AirPort Express will have speakers attached to it. I also plan to move AirPort Express around the house for the times I want to take music to another room. My iOS devices and my AirPort Express will always be in the same room.
My concern is: if I stream music from my iOS device to my AirPort Express speakers, will the music have to be streamed first to my primary router in the other room before being relayed back to AirPort Express? Or will my iOS device have a direct connection? The reason I'm wondering this is that I've noticed that with iTunes wifi sync, I'm actually required to be online, even if my Mac and iOS device are in the same room. I believe that's the same for the iOS remote app as well. So it seems that I have to go through the cloud first anytime my iOS and Mac communicate wirelessly with each other. My concern now is, is that going to be required for streaming music to the AirPort Express that is just a few feet away from me? Because I hope not. I have thick walls in my house and my AirPort Express will probably at times be far from the main router. Additionally, I only have a 1 mbps connection (there are no faster connections in my area). So if I have to go through the cloud first before being able to stream music, there could be significant skipping.
No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?
My wife and I live in a very rural area without internet. We have a mobile share plan (with tethering) for out Iphone 4s'. I want to setup a wireless speaker network to play my itunes music around the house. Will the airport express allow this?
If I understand correctly, I will need to purchase multiple airport expresses. Let's say, 4 total, 1 for each room I want speakers in and one connected to my PC with my Itunes library? I connect each airport to a set of speakers in said rooms and I can control the itunes library from my iphone via an app from anywhere in the house, and it's all completed wireless save the connections from airport ex to speakers and pc.
please help me make sure this is clear before I go and spend $400 bucks on these pups.
- Asked by Susan M from Monroe
- Jan 18, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?)
how many airport express are needed for home network
I have a motorola router from my cable provider plus an airport express. I just bought apple tv and get a slow and poor signal. what do i need to do?
- Asked by Karen H from New Berlin
- Dec 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (how many airport express are needed for home network)
Can you print using a usb printer via the airport express in your iPad?
- Asked by Angelo Roleo B from Legazpi
- Dec 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you print using a usb printer via the airport express in your iPad?)
If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?
I'm moving, and will be getting a Comcast modem/router combo for cable and internet. Can my Mac be set up wi-fi without connecting it to an ethernet cable?
- Asked by Denise W from Roseville
- Aug 26, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?)
can I air play music from my Iphone to two Airport Express conected to two diferent amps at the same time ?
I want to air play the same music form my IPhone to two diferent areas in my home where I have two diferent amps conected to a set of speakers.
I allready have one area conected to a 4 years old Aiport Express. I need to conect it to a new area.
- Asked by Ignacio M from Hermosillo
- Jan 19, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can I air play music from my Iphone to two Airport Express conected to two diferent amps at the same time ?)
what is the airport Express for ?
im going to buy an macbook air and i see the airport express so i want to know for what it is it for so i know if need it or not
- Asked by Sandra N from Tampa
- Jul 28, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the airport Express for ?)
Can I play audio from samsung TV via airport express to built in surround system
i have airport express hard wired to built in surround speakers to pick up music from iPad, iPhone etc. can I output sound from my samsung smart TV to the surround speakers via airport express over wifi? Do I need software on tv?
- Asked by Alex D
- Jan 26, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I play audio from samsung TV via airport express to built in surround system)
so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?
i'm trying to add a printer for printing, and it sounds like the airport express will allow me to print wireless, but if i already have wi fi installed will i still need the airport express to print wireless, and what does this device do different than what i already have?
- Asked by Melvin T from Westchester
- Oct 6, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?)
Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?
The only limitation I have with the current generation of Airport Express is the fact that I can only plug in one wired device when using it to extend or join a current network. If someone gets one of these and has an existing network, could you please find out if both ports are usable or if you need to buy an external hub to connect 2 wired devices to the network.
- Asked by Julian A from Gilbert
- Jun 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?)
Is this what is needed to connect to the internet with my MacBook Air via an ISP?
I have a MacBook Air with Airport Utility 6.3....
I want to connect to the internet when I move next week.
The ISP is called GreenLight in Wilson,NC which uses fiber optic cable.
Do I need to get only an Airport Express in order to connect using this service?
- Asked by Deborah C B from Raleigh
- Nov 6, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this what is needed to connect to the internet with my MacBook Air via an ISP?)
Is Airport Express what I need to make my iMac 11.2 wireless (currently DSL) and also use an iPad? or do I need an Airport Extreme ?
- Asked by Jane K from Atchison
- May 7, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Airport Express what I need to make my iMac 11.2 wireless (currently DSL) and also use an iPad? or do I need an Airport Extreme ?)