I have a FW 400 device that I would love to use with my MacBook Air. Does anyone know if a FW 800 to FW 400 adapter will work with this adapter?
5 Answers from the Community
I tested such a device with this adapter, and it worked well.
I plugged an audio interface, called the PreSonus FireBox, into a MacBook's Thunderbolt port. It's a FireWire 400 device.
I already had a FW 800 to FW 400 adapter cable, and I plugged that into Apple's FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter.
- Answered by James P from Decatur
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes, FireWire 800 is backwards compatible with FireWire 400. You will need a 9 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable (FW 800 to FW 400).
- Answered by Richard H from Chesterfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Yes. You have to buy a Moshi Firewire 800 to 400 adapter sold in the Apple store. If you have a new Macbook Air, you also have to buy the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 cable and hook them in series to work the Firewire 400 device. I had the same issue with my daughters old iPod with firewire and now everything is fine.
- Answered by Thomas J C from Deer Park
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
I used it with the Belkin FireWire 800 9-Pin to 9-Pin Cable (from Apple Store) to connect my new MacBook Pro Retina display with PowerBook G4 (OS X 10.4) and Power Mac G4 (OS 9.0) in a target disk mode. No problem.
- Answered by 登 花 from 八王子市
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
There's no reason that it would not work it's simply an adapter to an older connection and data transfer rate.
- Answered by John Jay W from Ardmore
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
what adapter do i need to connect a 23' cinema display (fw400) to a 2010 mac pro?
- Asked by Joseph R from Fort Washington
- Flag as inappropriate (what adapter do i need to connect a 23' cinema display (fw400) to a 2010 mac pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?
- Asked by Markos A from Carss Park
- Flag as inappropriate (How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…
Will this SSD work for MacBook Air?
- Asked by Mauricio D from Fairview
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this SSD work for MacBook Air?)
- Asked about: 512GB Solid-State Drive Kit for Mac…
No answers yet