Ready to boost your productivity to a new level? Dual-core PowerPC G5 processors, a modern PCI Express architecture, and fast workstation graphics combine with core capabilities in Mac OS X to unlock opportunities for video and audio producers, scientists, researchers, and 2D and 3D designers resulting in application performance thats up to three times faster than the fastest Power Mac G4.
Learn more about how the new Power Mac G5 can streamline your work and deliver results that exceed your grandest expectations. Or go ahead and upgrade now.
Film and Video
Any Project in Any Format
No matter what the format DV, SD, HDV, HD, or even film the Power Mac G5 gives film and video professionals the freedom and power to create studio-quality projects.
- Dual-core and quad-core Power Mac G5 systems speed up editing and enhance multistream and multicam production using Final Cut Studio supporting more simultaneous streams and real-time effects, as well as accelerating video processing and rendering.
- PCI Express graphics, such as the optional GeForce 7800 GT and Quadro FX 4500 from NVIDIA, boost motion graphics and animation performance in applications such as Motion, After Effects, Maya, and Modo.
- A host of integrated technologies allow you to customise a state-of-the-art studio: fast DDR2 memory expandable to 16GB, support for multiple displays, PCI Express expansion for Fibre Channel and video acquisition cards, and FireWire 800 for high-performance decks and devices.
- Fast encoding and a SuperDrive with double-layer support make it easy to author commercial-grade DVDs in record time using DVD Studio Pro.
- A workflow based on Mac OS X and QuickTime gives you the flexibility to author in any format, while XML extensibility lets you share projects between applications.
- Final Cut Pro Encoding
- Final Cut Pro Rendering
- After Effects
- LightWave 3D
Find out more about how to customise the Power Mac G5 for film and video.
Science and Technology
Faster Time to Discovery
The Power Mac G5 gives scientific researchers the ability to achieve fast results. Whether youre doing molecular modeling with PyMOL, searching for DNA alignments with BLAST, analyzing statistics with SPSS, or modeling equations with Mathematica, youll make discoveries in record time.
- With four 64-bit processor cores, four Velocity Engines, and eight double-precision floating-point units, youll see dramatic acceleration of processor-intensive applications such as HMMER and BLAST.
- The optional NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 graphics card supports stereo 3D visualisation in a window for complex data analysis.
- Up to 16GB of main memory with an ECC option makes light work of enormous tasks.
- PCI Express expansion supports Fibre Channel interconnects, the latest data collection devices, and multiple graphics cards for an array of up to eight Apple Cinema Displays.(2)
- Bioinformatics Benchmark
Design and Print
Perfect 2D, 3D, and Color
Bring your ideas to life with the new Power Mac G5 and publishing tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, QuarkXPress, and Macromedia Studio. Whether youre designing for print or for the web, you can realize your ideas as fast as you can imagine them.
- New dual- and quad-core Power Mac G5 systems crunch through huge images and layouts. With symmetric multiprocessing, you can burn DVDs, generate PDFs, or print in the background while you continue to create.
- Up to 16GB of RAM enables fast manipulation of massive media files.
- Fast PCI Express graphics cards and 3D-savvy applications like Maya, Modo, Motion and After Effects allow you to add movement and dimension to your designs.
- With four PCI Express slots and two DVI ports on each graphics card, the new Power Mac G5 can connect to up to eight Apple Cinema Displays, so your imagination has an ultralarge playground.(2)
- Integrated dual Gigabit Ethernet and high-speed I/O provide high-bandwidth connections to networks, printers, scanners, cameras and storage devices.
- The Quartz graphics engine in Mac OS X renders breathtaking content across mediums, while ColorSync ensures perfect color from capture to edit to output. Mac OS X Tiger also includes Automator, which allows you to automate repetitive tasks to streamline your workflow.
Find out how to customise the Power Mac G5 for a creative studio.
Music and Audio
Create Without Limits
Innovative tools for the Mac platform such as Logic Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Digidesign Pro Tools, MOTU Digital Performer, and Steinberg Cubase SX and Nuendo provide composers and sound designers with a wealth of software for capturing every inspiration. With the new Power Mac G5, youll have even more power at your fingertips to compose, record, edit, mix, and perform.
- Dual-core PowerPC G5 processors allow you to synthesise instruments and apply effects effortlessly.
- Up to 16GB of memory provides ample bandwidth to compose using an unprecedented number of tracks.
- A modern PCI Express expansion architecture supports state-of-the-art audio DSP and I/O solutions.
- Built-in optical digital and analog audio ports support both new and legacy hardware, and convenient FireWire and USB ports let you connect to virtually any audio, MIDI, and storage devices.
- Multiple displays enable you to spread out your tools and timelines.
- Mac OS X with Core Audio allows you to run several applications simultaneously, while Audio Units provide a robust plug-in protocol designed to work seamlessly across host applications.
- Also integrated are MIDI Services for increased stability and performance, as well as Audio MIDI Setup for managing your MIDI needs and defining a systemwide MIDI configuration thats available to all of your applications.
Got PCI-X devices? Consider purchasing the dual-2.7GHz Power Mac G5 with PCI-X expansion.
Find out more about using the Power Mac G5 for music and audio production.
- Testing conducted by Apple in September 2005 using preproduction 2.5GHz Power Mac G5 Quad units; all other systems tested were shipping units. For complete test information, download the Technology Overview.
- Eight 20-inch or 23-inch Apple Cinema Displays can be connected to the Power Mac G5 using four NVIDIA GeForce 6600 graphics cards.
- Stereo-in-a-window requires an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 graphics card, a CRT display and stereo goggles (sold separately). The NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 graphics card occupies the 16-lane PCI Express slot and adjacent PCI Express slot.