- Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.
- 2GB of RAM (4GB of RAM recommended).
- OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later.
- 256MB of VRAM (512MB of VRAM recommended).
- Display with 1280x768 resolution or higher.
- OS X v10.6.8 or OS X v10.7.5 or OS X v10.8.3 or later.
- 3.4GB of disk space (2.2GB app, 1.2GB supplemental content).
- Dark look to enhance colour perception.
- Single-window layout for all user interface panes.
- Onscreen controls for selected filters.
- Keyframe editor pane with a streamlined timeline view for intuitive time-based control.
- Centre toolbar for tools; colour-coded objects and inspector keyframe controls for easy identification.
- Unlimited tracks of movie clips, graphics, text and particles.
- Project sizes up to 16K (8K resolution requires a graphics card with 512MB of VRAM; 1GB or more recommended; 16K resolution requires a graphics card with 1GB of VRAM).
- Open multiple projects simultaneously to easily switch, copy and paste between them.
- Colour bits per channel: 16-bit float for GPU rendering; 32-bit float for background software rendering of Motion projects in Final Cut Pro (float processing requires a graphics card with 256MB of VRAM; 512MB or more recommended).
- Customisable non-square-pixel support.
- Semi-transparent heads-up display with onscreen controls for layers, behaviours and filters.
- Onscreen controls for 3D position, 3D rotation, 3D anchor point, skew, four-corner pin, crop and text glyph manipulations.
- Enable/Disable viewing and rendering of Lighting, Shadows, Reflections and Depth of Field.
- Support for dual monitor display.
- View colour channels and alpha channels independently
- Canvas alignment tools including dynamic alignment guides, 3D grid and rulers
- Pen-and-tablet gesture-based interface
- 3D mouse support
- Integrated File Browser for fast access to Finder content
- RAM Previews for viewing complex animations at full frame rate
- Save favourite settings, customised effects, gradients, text styles and more in the Library
- Over 1,900 pieces of Apple-designed, royalty-free vector artwork, high-resolution images and animated design elements
- Instantly display and access all layers in the project using a single keystroke.
- Create, save and remap custom keyboard shortcuts.
- Show images outside the visible frame boundary for easily adjusting offscreen objects.
- Automatically collect media used in a project for easy backup or moving to other locations.
- Use Spotlight in OS X to locate Motion projects by searching on any layer name or text string created in the project.
- Position, rotate and intersect multiple layers in 3D space.
- Combine multiple layers into 3D groups for hierarchical 3D animations.
- Add, animate and cut between multiple cameras.
- Walk-Camera intuitively operates like a first-person video game.
- Adjust the camera’s near and far soft clipping planes to avoid object “popping”.
- Apply Camera behaviours for easily creating and modifying complex camera moves.
- Quad split view for displaying multiple orthographic and perspective views
- Inset viewer for quickly checking alternative views while making adjustments
- Multiple light sources including ambient, directional, point and spot
- Enable shadows for selected point or spot lights, define objects to receive or cast shadows, and control the shadow colours and softness.
- Enable Reflectivity on most objects, movies, paint strokes and more.
- Activate depth of field to enhance realism and control focus.
- Enable particles, Replicator elements and paint strokes to animate in 3D space.
- Create 3D text behaviours for character-by-character animations with full 3D position and rotation control.
- Create 3D motion paths for layers, cameras and light sources.
- Apply behaviours like throw, orbit and vortex with 3D attributes.
- Isolate any layer to a Front view for easily modifying masks or editing text.
- Layer list view makes it easy to change the stacking order of any layer, group, filter or animation behaviour.
- Grouping for applying compound transformations and filters
- Common “bring to front” and “send to back” functions
- Opacity and blend mode display for quick access on every layer and group
- Create drop zones for easy drag-and-drop image replacement.
- Clone layers for linking instances of images that inherit properties automatically.
- Solo tracks for easier viewing and refinements
- Isolate selection for temporary framing and solo of an object to facilitate editing of an object in a 3D composition.
- Composite with premultiplied or non-premultiplied Alpha channels.
- Mini-timeline built into the Canvas that displays a single track for the currently selected layer, group, filter or behaviour
- Trim, slip, slide and retime audio and video clips via the mini-timeline.
- Retime clips using frame blending, motion blur blending or optical flow.
- Cache optical flow retiming analysis to change speed at any time without reanalyzing.
- Full timeline with drag-and-drop editing to choose between compositing and assembling multiple clips.
- Insert and overwrite editing directly into the timeline
- Markers that can be placed in the timeline or on a specific clip with notes
- Unique behaviour animations for creating natural phenomena like wind, gravity and vortex
- Sophisticated simulations like attract, repel and orbit, which create multilayered 3D animations
- Text sequencing for automating complex title animations in 3D space
- Auto-animated Parameter controls like oscillate, wriggle and more
- Parameter linking for driving secondary animations
- Retiming behaviours automate ramping in and out of speed changes.
- Audio behaviour for syncing animations with audio tracks
- MIDI behaviour for triggering parameter changes via any MIDI device
- Shape behaviours allow for tracking points on a shape or creating random wriggling animated shapes.
- Complete keyframe-based animation tools
- Keyframe editor with Bezier, Linear, Constant and Ease In/Ease Out curve interpolations
- Keyframe edit tool, keyframe sketch tool and a keyframe box manipulation tool
- Copy and paste keyframes from different tracks and parameters
- Keyframe settings for ping pong, repeat and progressive
- Record animations and thin keyframes in real time.
- Draw keyframes in the Keyframe editor using a freehand pen tool.
- Squish, stretch and move groups of keyframes using a transform box.
- Save curve sets for quick access to common parameters.
- View animated curves for easier navigation.
- View keyframes in the timeline for quick positioning.
- Enable/Disable keyframe and behaviour-based animations to easily compare different results.
- Sprite-based particle engine with accelerated performance
- Over 200 particle presets for easy access to sparkles, fire, smoke and more
- Animate particles in 3D space with Face-Camera control.
- Apply multiple objects or video clips as emitters.
- Apply additive blend mode for intense glowing results.
- Animate emitters and cells independently.
- Save newly created particles in the Library for reuse in other projects.
- Choose between point, line, rectangle, circle, box, sphere and more for emitter shapes.
- Control birth rate, life, speed, angle, spin, scale and gradient colours for particle cells.
- Scale particles over their life or add behaviours like orbit and vortex for amazing 3D results with little effort.
- Paint with pressure-sensitive vector-based brushstrokes.
- Select from over 140 customisable brush styles from traditional to abstract.
- Modify brush width, colour, opacity and jitter over the stroke path.
- Automatically draw on and draw off with full customisation.
- Edit brushstrokes as Bezier or advanced B-spline paths.
- Rotate the stroke in 3D space with Face-Camera control for volumetric 3D strokes.
- Assign pressure and speed to brush properties when using a pen and tablet.
- Enable dynamics on paint dabs for particle paint type effects.
- Apply Replicator-like sequencing animations that can cause the paint stroke to ripple through 3D space.
- Automatic replication of any graphic, text object or movie file along defined patterns
- Over 200 Replicator presets that can be completely customised and resaved
- Animate replicated patterns in 3D space with Face-Camera control.
- Save newly created Replicators in the Library for reuse in other projects.
- Choose between line, rectangle, circle, burst, spiral, wave, box, sphere and more for Replicator patterns.
- Define the number of rows, columns and 3D ranks that fill or outline the pattern.
- Control pattern size, cell size, angle, scale and gradient colours for Replicator cells.
- Change the offset for rows and columns, causing them to shift position across the defined pattern.
- Control origin of animation from various points of the pattern.
- Add random scale and angle setting for more natural replications.
- Apply additive blend mode for intense glowing results.
- Set colour of replicated objects from a single tint to a user-defined range.
- Add Replicator Sequence behaviour for wavelike animations over various patterns.
- Vector-based text engine for creating clean type at any size
- Import capability supporting Text and RTF files to create Motion text objects
- Format text using size, rotation, slant, tracking, kerning and more.
- Animate individual text characters in 3D space using customisable text behaviours.
- Transform single characters with the Adjust Glyph tool.
- Select from a common set of blend modes, including normal, multiply, screen and add.
- Customise text styles with control over the face, outline, glow and drop shadow.
- Type-on and text-on-a-path layout/animation options
- Scroll and Crawl layouts and animation options that support large amounts of text
- Text field parameter in Inspector makes it easy to edit text even if text is obscured in the Canvas.
- Fill text with solid or multipoint gradients.
- Apply static images or video clips as textures to text faces.
- Control textures using hold frame, offset, wrap modes and opacity.
- Support for Asian, Cyrillic and other Unicode system fonts
- Right-to-left and vertical text support for non-Roman languages like Japanese, Chinese and Arabic
- Search-and-replace function to find and modify specific text throughout a project
- Shrink-to-fit option that automatically resizes text to fit into a given area
- Match move using single-point tracking or four-corner pinning
- Create tracking data that can be referenced by multiple objects.
- Track a filter’s onscreen position controls.
- Offset tracking for creating a single track from multiple offsets
- Tracking behaviour highlights best potential tracking points, eliminating guesswork.
- Advanced tracking algorithm maintains accurate analysis when patterns rotate or skew.
- Smart retry feature resets the search region automatically for less user intervention.
- Provide directional hints for fast-moving regions by using the look-ahead feature.
- Stabilise using traditional point stabiliser or optical flow analysis.
- Automated optical flow stabiliser bypasses selecting points and time-consuming setup.
- SmoothCam optical flow analysis removes jitter and rocking from handheld shots while retaining overall camera moves.
- Adjust amount of smoothing applied to transforms, rotation and scaling in real time.
- Over 110 accelerated filters for real-time interactivity
- More than 10 blur filters, including Gaussian, Channel Blur, Radial Blur and Defocus
- Simple and bevel borders
- More than 15 colour correction filters, including Color Balance, Gradient Colorize, Color Reduce and Threshold
- More than 25 distortion filters, including Refraction, Insect Eye, Glass Distortion, Ripple, Scrape and Polar
- Stunning glow effects for Light Rays, Bloom, Aura and more
- Keying filter that automatically analyses the dominant colour of the visible frame and presents onscreen controls for refining the sample colour and edges of the key
- Keying controls for filing holes, adjusting edge distance, spill level and light wrap
- Advanced keying colour-wheel control for adjusting the tolerance and softness in the chroma and luma channels of the keyed region
- Stylise filters like Vignette, Bad TV, Bad Film, Color Emboss, Halftone, Line Art and Slit Tunnel
- Unique kaleidoscope and tiling filters
- Time-based filters for echo and strobe effects
- Video filters for deinterlacing and broadcast-safe colours and luminance
- Generators that automatically generate patterns, noise, colours, caustics, and concentric shapes and spirals
- Text generators that create and animate text elements like numbers, currency, dates and timecode, or can generate text using the contents of a text file
- Bezier or advanced B-spline masking tools
- Create ovals, rectangles and arbitrary freehand shapes.
- Control opacity, rounding and edge feathering.
- Combine masks using mathematical operations.
- Track entire shapes or control points using tracking behaviours.
- Create image masks from alpha, luminance or RGB values of a second image.
- Support for AIFF, WAV, MP3, VBR MP3 and AAC (MPEG-4 Audio)
- Edit audio tracks in the timeline with trim, slip and move.
- Retime audio tracks with pitch change.
- Scrub audio tracks for frame-accurate positioning.
- Control balance, gain, mute and solo individually.
- Use master audio controls for global audio adjustments.
- Trigger parameter changes based on audio frequencies or transient hits.
Final Cut Pro
- Create and save Smart Templates in Motion for titles, effects, transitions and generators to make them available in Final Cut Pro for drag-and-drop application without rendering.
- Rigs allow multiple parameters to be controlled with simplified sliders, pop-up menus or tickboxes.
- Predefined aspect-ratio snapshots make templates automatically fit the Final Cut Pro project frame size.
- Define fixed durations for intro and outro sections in templates; Final Cut Pro adjusts the title body to fit the timing in the middle.
- Rigs and parameters can be published in a template for simplified control in Final Cut Pro.
- Import vector PDF graphics, Photoshop layered documents, BMP, GIF, JPEG, PICT, PNG, TIFF, TGA or Open EXR files.
- FxPlug 2 for GPU-accelerated third-party filters and effects, including support for shapes, paths, cameras and lights
- Support for Image Unit plug-ins
- Share feature to export and deliver content automatically to devices like iPod and Apple TV or to services like Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube in a few clicks.
- Export to ProRes, H.264, MPEG-4 and other QuickTime-supported codecs.
- Export as movies or image sequences.
- Export as OpenEXR format.
- Export to uncompressed 8-bit and 10-bit 4:2:2.
- Support for progressive and field-based rendering
- Accelerated motion blur with customisable shutter
- Save custom export settings for easier selection.
- Settings created in Compressor can be accessed directly from the Share feature in Motion 5 and Final Cut Pro X.
- Send a whole project to Compressor for advanced encoding requirements.
- Export Selection can render out selected objects.