Do I need to have leopard installed on my computer to install snow leopard ?
- Asked by Jorge C from S.m
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need to have leopard installed on my computer to install snow leopard ?)
1 Answer from the Community
No. You can have earlier versions of the OS installed. (Or no OS installed: Snow Leopard will do a full, "clean" install.)
Following are the steps I took to upgrade from OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) to Snow Leopard. (Some people install Snow Leopard directly on top of their old OS. I prefer to use the following method.)
1) Do a clean install of Snow Leopard to a new partition. If necessary, clone your old OS partition to a temporary, bootable external hard drive.
2) All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your hard drive (or partition) that Snow Leopard is going on to. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files.)
3) At some point during the installation, the installer will search all other partitions for an older OS, and if found, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition. Do this for a very smooth transition.
4) All my apps from OS 10.4 continued to work in Snow Leopard, but some of my printer drivers and scanner utility needed upgrades. Until I could find the upgrades, I was still able to Start Up from my OS 10.4 partition (press Option during start up) in order to use my printers and scanner in the meantime.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have a Mac with Snow Leopard installed.I would like to upgrade to Lion. Would I still be able to use Adobe CS3 that is on my computer
- Asked by Bettina G from Jupiter
- 05 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Mac with Snow Leopard installed.I would like to upgrade to Lion. Would I still be able to use Adobe CS3 that is on my computer)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
i have snow leopard 10.6.8. what do I need in order to add airport extreme?
- Asked by Michele M from Bear Creek Township
- 12 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (i have snow leopard 10.6.8. what do I need in order to add airport extreme?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
I have an early 2006 I mac core 2 duo (512MB of RAM) running OS10 tiger can I upgrade the memory for more RAM to install snow Leopard?
- Asked by James B from Prince George
- 09 26, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an early 2006 I mac core 2 duo (512MB of RAM) running OS10 tiger can I upgrade the memory for more RAM to install snow Leopard?)
- Asked about: Apple Memory Module 4GB 1866MHz DDR…