i have 10.4.11 i am trying to buy an iphoto book i've built but the software will no longer support that system. what's the best way to do this?
1 Answer from the Community
You don't say which OS you need to have for the iphoto book.
If you have an Intel-based Mac, with 1GB of memory, you can buy the US$29 Snow Leopard DVD. Although, it supposedly does not "automatically" upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.6, all the tools to upgrade are on the DVD. I "upgraded" my OS 10.4.11 iMac using this DVD. Here are the steps I used:
1) First, keep (or clone to an external bootable drive) your old bootable partition with the old OS on it. This allows you to have a backup and still be able to start up with OS 10.4.11, if you wish to, after Snow Leopard is installed.
2) Start doing a clean install of Snow Leopard to a fresh partition. In order to do a clean install with the $29 DVD, you will have two options when you start up from the DVD... "Utilities" or "Continue". Select "Utilities" and when the Mac restarts, select "Disk Utilities" from the "Utilities" menu. Do a format of your "fresh" partition and then QUIT "Disk Utilities".
3) Now Snow Leopard will begin installing. During the install, it will search your Mac for all other partitions with an older OS and then ask you if you want to import your OS Settings, Applications and Files from one of those other partitions. Do this for a very smooth upgrade transition to the new OS. (If you decide to not import, then you will end up with a clean install of Snow Leopard instead.)
4) After restarting with the newly installed Snow Leopard, go to the Apple Menu and do Software Updates to bring your system up to OS 10.6.8.
5) All my Apps from OS 10.4.11 continue to work in Snow Leopard, but some of my printer drivers and scanner utility did not. Until I found those upgrades, I was still able to start up from the OS 10.4.11 partition to use my printers and scanner. To change the Start Up partition, either use the Start Up Disk in System Preferences... or press and hold "option" while your Mac starts up.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
can i use this on 10.4.11 operating system
- Asked by Kenneth M from Hopewell Junction
- 03 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use this on 10.4.11 operating system)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
No answers yet
What is the least expensive & Best way to Project iPhotos to canvas for tracing and what cables will be needed?
- Asked by Nancy M from Austin
- 07 2, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the least expensive & Best way to Project iPhotos to canvas for tracing and what cables will be needed?)
- Asked about: Apple HDMI-to-HDMI Cable 1.8m
Can I use the same Apple router for both my iMAC 10.4.11 with airport extreme card and new iMAC OS X Lion?
- Asked by Dona Or Bill B from Kansas City
- 12 10, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the same Apple router for both my iMAC 10.4.11 with airport extreme card and new iMAC OS X Lion?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express