I have os 10.6.8 what is my next OS?
I'm on a Macbook Pro 2.4ghz intel core duo, 4GB memory.
What OS should I go on to from here and how do I do that?
- Asked by Kay H
- Flag as inappropriate (I have os 10.6.8 what is my next OS?)
2 Answers from the Community
Your MacBook Pro model will determine which OS you can go to.
(From OS 10.6.8 you can go directly to OS 10.7, OS 10.8, or OS 10.9 but that depends on your hardware.)
Go to "About This Mac" under the "Apple" menu. Select "More Info" and then select "System Report". In "Hardware Overview" make note of the Model Identifier.
If the Model Identifier is MacBookPro1,1 or MacBookPro1,2 the maximum OS that can be installed is OS 10.6 (which you have).
If the Model Identifier is MacBookPro2,1 or MacBookPro2,2 the maximum OS is OS 10.7.
If the Model Identifier is MacBookPro3,1 or later the current maximum OS is OS 10.9.
(You probably have a MacBookPro3,1 or MacBookPro4,1 model since you have a 2.4ghz processor.)
All OS versions after OS 10.6 are installed through the App Store app (which you have on your Mac with OS 10.6.8). OS 10.9 is free and easy to find in the App Store app by typing "OS X Mavericks" in the search box at the top right of the App Store app window. To get OS 10.7 or OS 10.8 you need to first purchase a redemption code from the online Apple Store which will give you access to these OS versions in the App Store app.
Links to purchase redemption code for OS 10.7 and OS 10.8 can be found on these pages:
Canada: storeDOTappleDOTcom/ca/help/downloadable_software#MacOSX (replace "DOT" with ".")
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
From 10.6.8 you can upgrade to 10.7, 10.8 or 10.9. Unless you have a good reason to install an older version, you might as well go for 10.9 (Mavericks).
Open the Mac App Store, search for Mavericks and attempt to install it. If your Mac doesn't support Mavericks it will tell you that it can't install it. If it does, you just have to wait for it to download and install, which can take a long time depending on the speed of your internet connection.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
does it work with os 10.6.8
- Asked by Robert S from Oakley
- 11 23, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (does it work with os 10.6.8)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
does it work with mac os 10.6.8
- Asked by Clare M from Kelowna
- 09 15, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (does it work with mac os 10.6.8)
- Asked about: Magic Mouse 2
how do I update my browser , I have os x 10.6.8 what do I need to do?
- Asked by Crystal H from Spokane
- 10 9, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (how do I update my browser , I have os x 10.6.8 what do I need to do?)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)