Can I use this to connect an (old) iMac via its ethernet port to an external thunderbolt hard drive?
3 Answers from the Community
No you can't do that. The adaptor is designed to be used the other way around as it doesn't convert the signal but instead passes it on the the PCI controller to do. There currently isn't any way that i know of to connect a thunderbolt accessory to a non thunderbolt mac.
- Answered by Tomm A from Christchurch
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No, the adapter is only for connection to the internet, and connection to another Mac without Thunderbolt for Migration Assistant.
- Answered by Joshua G from Ft Lauderdale
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
- Answered by Thomas M from Redmond
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Will I be able to access all ports and devices connected to the ports on the back of my Apple Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Oscar V from Houston
- 11 4, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I be able to access all ports and devices connected to the ports on the back of my Apple Thunderbolt Display?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…
External storage via ethernet?
- Asked by Devon S from Richmond
- 11 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (External storage via ethernet?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
No answers yet
Which external hard drives have Thunderbolt connections?
- Asked by Robert L from Laguna Hills
- 04 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Which external hard drives have Thunderbolt connections?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Blac…