Can you use this as a normal USB Keyboard on Windows/Linux if you use the included lightning cable? Or does it only work over Bluetooth?
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, it works in both cases.
I use mine on a Windows 10 box I built myself (not via Bootcamp on my Mac) and I've tried it via USB and Bluetooth. All good in both cases.
FYI the basic functions of the keyboard work - I am typing this on my Magic Keyboard on a Windows 10 machine.
There are a few caveats:
1. The function keys work as function keys - no volume control, no brightness adjustment, etc.
2. The "fn" key simply does not work - which is very problematic as you can't ctrl-alt-delete on Windows with this keyboard (delete for Windows is actually is fn-delete on this keyboard).
I even installed the Bootcamp driver for a previous Apple keyboard (AppleKeyboardInstaller64) which did nothing.
- Answered by Matthew P from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will the Magic Trackpad 2 work through the USB/Lightning cable without Bluetooth functionality.
- Asked by Michael A from Fair Oaks
- 03 7, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Magic Trackpad 2 work through the USB/Lightning cable without Bluetooth functionality.)
- Asked about: Magic Trackpad 2
No lightning cable included?
- Asked by Luke H
- 05 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (No lightning cable included?)
- Asked about: iPhone Lightning Dock - White
No answers yet