Can I use this adapter to connect an Apple Cinema Display (with a Mini DisplayPort connector) to a 2016 MacBook Pro?
6 Answers from the Community
I have to disagree with the answers above. I have succefully connected an old Cinema Display to a current 2016 MacBook Pro 15" (touchbar). The path is DVI (from monitor) to HDMI adaptor, into the HDMI input of a USB C hub. Works without problem, including sleep/wake, mirroring and dual display.
- Answered by Arnim F
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
you will not be able to use an apple cinema display with the 2016 macbook pro if your current display connects via a mini display port connector - even with a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. you need at minimum a thunderbolt display, which was introduced later than the one you currently own.
apple's support page states:
"Note that although it uses a Mini DisplayPort connector, the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't support connections to Mini DisplayPort displays. Also, this adapter supports only one powered Thunderbolt 2 device on a USB-C equipped Mac."
i can't include the link to the support page here bc apple's bots flag their own link as having inappropriate text. brilliant.
- Answered by Stu F from Burlingame
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
No, the display has to itself be Thunderbolt-aware. Even though you could directly connect a Mini DisplayPort cable to a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 port on a computer and then to the monitor and have that work, there is intelligence in the computer bearing those ports to choose the correct protocol for displays. This adapter is recognized as a Thunderbolt device on the computer, so the Mini DisplayPort protocol mode cannot be selected on the computer itself, and the adapter has no substitute protocol support for the case where you try to hook up such a display. The display on the other end of this adapter must understand Thunderbolt.
- Answered by David H from Cotati
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
According to Apple, no. See KB article HT207266.
- Answered by Edward K from Oakland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Sadly no. According to HT207266 support article:
The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't support connections to these devices:
Apple DisplayPort display
DisplayPort devices or accessories, such as Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapters
4K Mini DisplayPort displays that don’t have Thunderbolt
- Answered by Simon J
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
No. Source: apple support document HT207266 "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter".
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Paul J from Boulder
- 10 31, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Will this connector work to attach my Apple 20 inch Cinema Display to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)?
- Asked by Nathan T
- 12 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this connector work to attach my Apple 20 inch Cinema Display to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)?)
- Asked about: Apple HDMI to DVI Adapter
can I combine the mini display-to-DVI adapter with my Apple DVI-to-ADC Adapter so that I can use my old apple cinema display with my new macbook pro?
- Asked by Felice N from Oakland
- 11 8, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (can I combine the mini display-to-DVI adapter with my Apple DVI-to-ADC Adapter so that I can use my old apple cinema display with my new macbook pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter