Questions & Answers for Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
220 Questions from the Community
The 24" iMac I bought in the fall of 2008 had a mini-DVI. Now the iMac is delivered with a min-Display port. Sometime between then and now they switched. So first you must determine which port you have. I purchased the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and used it with a Samsung SyncMaster T240HD with no problems. However, the adapter is only about 6-8 inches long so I found it necessary to buy a standard DVI cable to reach from the adapter to the 2nd monitor. I would assume from the descriptions and pictures that the mini-display port to DVI adapter is about the same length.
- Answered by Stephen E H from Huntsville
- 03 8, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this adapter plug into my 24 inch imac (2009 model) to add second moniter that is dvi ready?)
how to get hd video from my fios box to 27
I have eyetv from FIOS box to new MAC to watch but not getting HD quality. IS their a cable or two to connect to get video. Audio can be through seperate red/ white.
- Asked by Tom P from Plano
- 02 20, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (how to get hd video from my fios box to 27)
Is this adapter the correct one to connect a new MB Pro Retina to the 20-inch Apple Cinema Display, or do I need the dual link DVI adapter?Answer
I was interested in this question because I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display (DVI) model A1081 connected as an external monitor to my MacBookPro3,1 and was considering what would happen when I upgrade to a Retina MacBookPro model. The connector on the A1081 20" Apple Cinema Display is a Male DVI-D (Single Link) so this adapter would be the correct choice. The dual link DVI adapter would work, because it is mechanically equivalent, however it would be overkill in terms of cost and functionality. Note: I have not actually done this yet, I have simply reviewed the specifications and done some other research. Look up "DVI" on Wikipedia and you can see drawings of the connectors.
- Answered by Bruce T from Long Valley
- 04 26, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this adapter the correct one to connect a new MB Pro Retina to the 20-inch Apple Cinema Display, or do I need the dual link DVI adapter?)
what adapter do I need to connect a 2005 A1082 to my 2009 macbook pro
- Asked by Vincent D from Brooklyn
- 12 9, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (what adapter do I need to connect a 2005 A1082 to my 2009 macbook pro)
I have a imac with the black trim from 08 what output does it have
i am trying to plug it into a 50 inch panasonic tv with dvi
- Asked by Jason S from Livingston
- 11 21, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a imac with the black trim from 08 what output does it have)
First get your serial number by going to Apple Menu->About this Mac->More Info...
Then go to Apple's support page and search using your serial number. You'll probably have to enter your serial number more than once, but you'll eventually get to a page with technical specifications on your computer model.
- Answered by Thomas W from San Jose
- 11 28, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a imac with the black trim from 08 what output does it have)
Will this work good on my samsung led 8000 46 inches tv? will it give the ultimate resolution?
- Asked by Haytham A from Springfield Gardens
- 04 21, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work good on my samsung led 8000 46 inches tv? will it give the ultimate resolution?)
how can I hook up Samsung B2330h monitor to MacBook Pro? does the Mini Display port do the trick?
I need to switch screens between laptop and the monitor.
Told this will be fine...any opinions?
- Asked by Rochelle H F from New York
- 12 26, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (how can I hook up Samsung B2330h monitor to MacBook Pro? does the Mini Display port do the trick?)
What cable do I need to plug my Optiquest Display to my new Mini Mac? One that came in the box is too big.
The cable in the box is too big.
- Asked by Nicole L from Northridge
- 04 20, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (What cable do I need to plug my Optiquest Display to my new Mini Mac? One that came in the box is too big.)
How do you connect a 20" cinema display (through an ADC converter) to a new 17" macbook pro which has a mini display port?
I Have an existing apple 20'' cinema display still in great condition that I wish to connect to a new 17" macbook pro which has a mini display port? What type of cable should I use to connect both devices successfully?
This adapter will only allow you to drive the Apple Cinema 30" display at 1280x800 (see Apple support article HT3571), so you should buy the more expensive Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter if you want to use the maximum resolution of 2560x1600.
The 3840x2160 televisions use *two* dual-link DVI connections because of the increased signal bandwidth so, again, you would not be able to drive them at full resolution. You may be able to use them at a reduced resolution with one dual-link input from the other adapter, and possibly at a much lower resolution using this adapter.
how do i connect hdmi of sony lcd to displayport of mac os x
i have mac os x and sony bravia lcd. my lcd has hdmi input. how i connect to displayport of mac
- Asked by Neel C
- 01 29, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect hdmi of sony lcd to displayport of mac os x)
No!! You need an active video converter.
If you want to enjoy your PS3 on your iMac 27'' at full resolution you need an active video converter with upscaling.. because the 27'' display only support 1280x720 and 2560x1600 resolution
- Answered by Matteo B
- 09 9, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i input PS3 to my new 27-inch iMac with the Mini Display Port to DVI adapter?)
The adaptor supports Single-Link DVI-D. It can support any resolution but only with a maximum pixel clock of 165 MHz. Examples: 1920x1080 at 71 Hz or 2560x1600 at 37 Hz.
The Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter can output twice as many pixels at the same speed to displays that have a Dual-Link DVI connector.
- Answered by Joe V from Fort Langley
- 05 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what max resolution it supports? is it just up to 1080p?)
does the mac book use the dvi adapter?
I bought a dvi adapter and dvi to hdmi adapter to hook up my mac book to our hdtv and i still can't get a picture. Do I need the VGA cord instead?
- Asked by Naomi A from Rexburg
- 01 18, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (does the mac book use the dvi adapter?)
Does my 1.42Ghz ibook G4 have a mini dvi or a mini displayport?
I want to connect to my digital tv (not HD, not large screen, needs S-video or composite video). What cables do I need?
- Asked by Dawn B from Bar Harbor
- 01 23, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Does my 1.42Ghz ibook G4 have a mini dvi or a mini displayport?)
Neither; it has a mini vga port, so you can buy the mini vga to s-video/composite (yellow) adapter from apple.
- Answered by Thomas D from Coeur D'alene
- 10 21, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does my 1.42Ghz ibook G4 have a mini dvi or a mini displayport?)
I have a new MacBook Pro 10/09 and want to connect it to Panasonic which has HDMI 3 connection. Which adapter/cables do I need? Sound cables too?
you need the mini display port to DVI adapter.
you also need a digital cable with DVI male on one end and HDMI on the other.
the only difference between the output of your computer and and the HDMI cable is audio. Most digital sets nowadays serve very well as an external monitor. most have an audio input dedicated to play with a certain HDMI port. you would need an audio cable that has 1/8" mini stereo male on one end with the normal red/white RCA male plugs on the other end.
On the vizio in my office, I think it will play audio over any of the 3 inputs. I believe the Mitsibushi in the living room requires me to use HDMI port # 3 in order to sync up the two inputs.