Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
706 Questions from the Community
Can this be used in my schools common room?
We have several enthernet ports but no wifi and I am trying to get internet acess on my ipad.The other isue is that we have content filtering, would this be a isssue? Thanks!
- Asked by Karl L
- 01 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used in my schools common room?)
Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?
If I buy the Airport Express Base station will it replace the airport card which was removed from my Imac as it was causing problem and let me use the Wifi. At the moment I am using a wired connection to me modem.
I am running OS 10.6.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.1f5
Serial Number (system): CK62106MU2S
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB861618
- Asked by Paul R
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?)
Well if you connect it say using the Ethernet cable directly then yes, you mac will assign an address, you can expect the modem and apex to work together. Actually it should perform better than regular apex card
- Answered by Keneth W
- 06 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?)
Does the Airport Express steam your pictures as well as music?
- Asked by Thomas T from Bartlett
- 04 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Express steam your pictures as well as music?)
how do i set up as bridge to printer
need to use airport express bridge mode to printer (will use ethernet cable to connect printer to airport express) in existing airport extreme network.
Where are instructions to set this up?
- Asked by Paul S from Buffalo
- 12 16, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i set up as bridge to printer)
Yes. An airport express can be used independently for Airplay. Set it up to create its own wireless network. The limitation is that the device managing airplay must then be connected to that same network.
- Answered by Duke S from Hingham
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (To use airplay)
What is the gain of the antenna in this version (in dBi)? I have a wifi router that has a 5 dBi antenna, will AP Express have better signal?
No answers yet
can you use it as a hotspot when out of the house?
Can you take this with you when you leave the house and instead of using a facilities wifi you can just use this?
- Asked by Thomas M from Niagara Falls
- 10 25, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can you use it as a hotspot when out of the house?)
This is for home use only. You have to have a DSL/Cable Modem plugged in for this to work, or you can use it as a signal repeater/extender on a WDS network with other Apple Routers/Time Capsule.
The best option that you are looking for is to use an iPhone (assuming that you have) as a personal WiFi hotspot.
- Answered by Jason N from Auburn
- 10 28, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you use it as a hotspot when out of the house?)
Will the Airport Express Base Station work with AT&T DSL?
- Asked by Allison W from Brackettville
- 11 23, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express Base Station work with AT&T DSL?)
Is airport express compatible with Motorola phones
- Asked by Eileen I from Snohomish
- 11 20, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is airport express compatible with Motorola phones)
print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?
Can I connect 2 different printers, one into USB and the other through Ethernet cable and be able to print to both? AND can I use this to extend my current wireless network so the printers can connect wirelessly instead of long cables?
- Asked by Robert H from Elk Grove
- 08 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
first of all you need to consider 2 things, one if you are using a pc or a mac. if you are using a pc you have to download 2 programs form the apple web site: the first one called: bonjour for windows and the other one called: airport utility for windows, just make sure you're using the latest versions.
airport utility is used to config the settings in your airport express, the latter program is going to be used to discover and config the printer in your windows system.
on the other hand macs are a totally different world, you don't have to install any of those programs because both applications are already in the OS. there are plenty of tutorials on the web that can give you a very clear and detailed idea on how you can install a printer and set your airport express in a windows system.
thirdly, you have to install the second printer, so as to do this you need to check if your printer has got an internal Lan card or it doesn't have any. if your printer does have one, just connect the printer into the lan port of your airport express, read the instructions that comes with the printer or visit the manufacture's web site for further details on this topic.
but if your printer does not have any internal lan card, don't worry about that just plug in the printer to the USB port in your airport extreme then use the bonjour utility to discover the device and then installed it in your windows pc.
To install a printer on a mac just go to system preferences, then make click on the icon named print and scan, there are plenty of info on the web about this. I hope this can give you an idea.
- Answered by Charles I from Lake Hopatcong
- 08 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
What cable/s are needed to connect it to a stereo?
- Asked by Stewart F from Fremont
- 06 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What cable/s are needed to connect it to a stereo?)
I had the same question and was surprised no one had answered yours, so I went looking for the answer. Here's the information from the set-up guide in the support section for the Airport Express:
If you connect AirPort Express to your stereo or powered speakers, you can use AirPlay to play music from iTunes on any computer or from an iOS device on your network.
To set it up:
Connect the Audio Out port on your AirPort Express to your home stereo or powered speakers. Use a digital fiber optic cable, an analog mini-stereo-to dual-RCA cable, or a mini-stereo to mini-stereo cable, depending on what type of connectors your stereo uses.
Note: You cannot use USB speakers with your AirPort Express. Use powered speakers with a stereo mini-jack connector.
- Answered by Dr David H from Severn
- 09 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What cable/s are needed to connect it to a stereo?)
can the air port express take high temperatures?
- Asked by Gordon T from Reedley
- 07 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can the air port express take high temperatures?)
Would this device work with B&W Zeppelin 1st generation?
I would like to stream my music from an iPad or iPhone
- Asked by Oded O
- 11 8, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Would this device work with B&W Zeppelin 1st generation?)
looking the best solution for WiFi booster for Mac any suggestion??
I would like to get signal from WiFi for about twi miles of distance (in the sea)
- Asked by Michail S
- 06 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (looking the best solution for WiFi booster for Mac any suggestion??)