Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
697 Questions from the Community
Does anyone know if roaming/handover performance is improved on this new model?
The old Airport Express had a tendency to 'cling' to wireless clients, particularly iOS clients, when roaming between more than one Airport Express on a network. I've found other access points 'hand over' much better than the old Airport Express (such as the Ubiquiti Unifi) - does anyone know if this has been addressed on this new model?
- Asked by James R
- 06 15, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Does anyone know if roaming/handover performance is improved on this new model?)
Yes. I just connected to two second generation Airport Express's and they now handover seamlessly (tested on a on an iPad & iPhone). My old Airport Express used to cling to them like mad so I ended up having to run it as a separate SSID.
- Answered by Jack G
- 09 19, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does anyone know if roaming/handover performance is improved on this new model?)
Can I use this as my wireless router when I travel abroad? By just plug in the Phone line in it?
I'm planning to bring it abroad during my travel to Japan. My hotel room has provided wired Internet. So can I just plug the Internet cable to it instead of plug in to my laptop to create wireless for my IPad .
I want to stream music to different areas of my house, simultaneously from 1 apple device. (macbook or iphone)
I have been able to stream music from itunes and spotify through a hifi connected to my TV through apple TV.
I've also been able to send sound to 2 outputs from my mac. The 3.5mm output on it and apple TV however the sound is out of sync by half a second or so.
If I bought an apple airport express, could I use this and apple TV to play music (from spotify OR itunes) at the same time and remain in sync?
Or is there a way to correct the output time lapse between my mac's 3.5mm out and apple tv?
What are the dimensions of the new AirPort Express Base Station?
- Asked by Matthew W from Easton
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the dimensions of the new AirPort Express Base Station?)
It's the same size as the Apple TV. The tech specs page will give you the exact size to be sure.
- Answered by Rob E
- 06 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What are the dimensions of the new AirPort Express Base Station?)
Will it play music from my itunes to my bose wave system wirelessly?
- Asked by Kathy W from Phillips
- 11 24, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it play music from my itunes to my bose wave system wirelessly?)
Play Videos, Play YouTube, Use Quick Time, Or Use VLC?
I understand that this can wirelessly stream audio using the iTunes airplay feature...
BUT can it also stream other forms of audio (when watching a movie in VLC, when watching a movie in quicktime, or when surfing the internet).
Can't wait for your response!
- Asked by Tyler P
- 06 14, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Play Videos, Play YouTube, Use Quick Time, Or Use VLC?)
Yes. Some Apps have the Airplay audio selection of iPad, Airport Express or Apple TV etc whichever you have available, integrated into the app, for others, you can change the output in iTunes, and the audio from whatever app you are using is redirected from the iPad speakers to the selected output.
For example, I watch some TV shows in bed using the iPad and a TV Network's own App, and direct the surround sound to my receiver for terrific audio.
- Answered by Rod N from Surrey
- 07 1, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Play Videos, Play YouTube, Use Quick Time, Or Use VLC?)
Can the Airport Express use a cell phone "hotspot"?
While sailing in Puget Sound, I use my cell phone "hot Spot" for a wireless access point. However the range is limited. Could an Airport Express use the hotspot as the "Source" network and extend it?
- Asked by Arnie H from Bremerton
- 11 28, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Express use a cell phone "hotspot"?)
I want wi-fi access for my 2010 2.8Ghz mac pro. Should I buy Airport Extreme base station?
I do not have the following:
1) An AirPort card fitted - really expensive call-out charge and part
2) Would rather not run a cable throughout house to the router downstairs, as it is rented accomodation.
Will the Airport Extreme base station, pick up the wi-fi from downstairs?
Or do i definately need an ethernet cable draped all over the house to the Virgin Media router for a cheaper option?
(Have tried using a usb ralink but it has stopped working and want something more substantial)
What's the best option?
Thanks for any advice! It's such a headache knowing what to do!
can I use airport express with a tv without wifi built in. I am not sure how to connect airport express. I get wifi on my laptop and I use a ROKU w/tv
No answers yet
does it connect to cable internet
- Asked by Sheila C from Jamestown
- 11 25, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (does it connect to cable internet)
AirPlayer and Wifi Extender?
Can this be used for both use as a connection for air play while also extending the range of my TimeCapsule?
- Asked by Carlos M from Forney
- 05 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (AirPlayer and Wifi Extender?)
Can I use AirPort Express in my vehicle?
is this a mobile device or does it have to be plugged in to the wall outlet?
- Asked by Michael S from Summerville
- 07 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use AirPort Express in my vehicle?)
It does work with a iPhone 4 and IPad 1.
- Answered by Kris B from Phoenix
- 10 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I create a network between just the iPhone and Airport Express Base Station to stream music to a amplifier.)
can it extend my wifi network if this is my only airport base station?
I have a netgear router that may have he same type of thing as an airport extreme but im not completely sure...
- Asked by Melissa E from Olathe
- 06 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can it extend my wifi network if this is my only airport base station?)
Sorry but it cannot. Apple says that the "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, or Time Capsule wireless network."
- Answered by Dean S from Encino
- 06 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can it extend my wifi network if this is my only airport base station?)
Is it faster and better then Netgear?
- Asked by Ceyhun O from Duncanville
- 03 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it faster and better then Netgear?)