Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
706 Questions from the Community
How to put airport express into bridge mode
- Asked by Dan M from Rockville
- 12 24, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (How to put airport express into bridge mode)
Using the AirPort Utility, click on the Network tab, then in Router Mode: select Off (Bridge Mode)
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- 04 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How to put airport express into bridge mode)
Yes this is a wifi router it works with all wifi devices such as roku.
- Answered by Jack E from Sierra Madre
- 01 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Roku work on it?)
Can I use the airport express as an audio transmitter?
I want to connect audio from a non-wifi unit to an airport express to broadcast that audio to another airport express for audio output to powered speakers.
If this can work, I want to know if I can have multiple receiving expresses.
If there is no way to input audio to the airport express, does anyone have a recommendation for a wifi audio transmitter that would be compatible with say two airport express units for a stereo signal?
- Asked by Ken W from Mesquite
- 09 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the airport express as an audio transmitter?)
Is this router considered a MIMO router?
- Asked by Kelly H from Beaver
- 06 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this router considered a MIMO router?)
Yes it is MIMO. MIMO technology is somewhat "elusive". Typically, people think that a MIMO device has to have numerous antenna. Which, is true in the respect that a TRUE mimo device can separate signals or data streams into prioritized bandwidths. The airport is capable of 802.11 (a,b,g,n). It doesn't have nasty looking antennae arrays like some routers.
The only thing about the express is it tends to be a bit directional, in my experiences. So you may have to try different locations. And, it is a "wall wart". I do not use mine as wall warts. I have them on power strips, hidden out of sight on shelves.
Typically, the higher up in the house, the more omni directional it will be.
It tends to run "warm" to the touch. More-so than it's big brothers, the Airport Extreme and Time Machine. I think they run WARM because they have so many features packed into such a SMALL package.
It gives great service, plug and play for CHEAP. Less than $100 usually. Extremely versatile and is a tiny little thing.
I have two. And use them constantly. With no issues.
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- 04 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this router considered a MIMO router?)
Apple doesn't recommend specific ADSL modems for use with the base station. Any standard ADSL modem with an Ethernet port should be compatible (you cannot connect the modem to the base station via USB). If you're not able to use the AirPort Express Base Station with a particular ADSL modem/configuration, it is unlikely that you would be able to use any other wireless base station with that modem and configuration.
- Answered by Zach L from San Francisco
- 09 19, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (which ADSL modem is recommended for the Airport Express base station?)
Can apple tv connect to AirPort Express Base Station ?
it does not show on the description. therefore, i am wondering if it works.
- Asked by Wilson L from Plainsboro
- 08 7, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can apple tv connect to AirPort Express Base Station ?)
Will definitely work. It's a standard ethernet LAN port connecting to an accessory ethernet port.
- Answered by Daniel L from San Mateo
- 05 6, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can apple tv connect to AirPort Express Base Station ?)
Does it basically just make your own wifi network that you can take anywhere and do you need to add anything to it or do you jut get an app connect it
Do you need any ad dons
Can you take it around
can I set up the airport extreme through my PC?
- Asked by Eric F from Eau Claire
- 10 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can I set up the airport extreme through my PC?)
If I plugged an external hard drive into this, would I be able to access media on it via Apple TV and do time machine backups from my Mac?Best Answer:
No. You would need the Airport Extreme to share a disk over USB, or a Time Capsule if you want to do over-the-air Time Machine backups.
- Answered by Thomas D from San Francisco
- 06 14, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I plugged an external hard drive into this, would I be able to access media on it via Apple TV and do time machine backups from my Mac?)
Can I use it as a ethernet repeater for my airport extreme?
- Asked by Paulo Roberto G from Itu
- 07 30, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use it as a ethernet repeater for my airport extreme?)
No this is not a personal "Mi-Fi" device. Typically you'll get one of those from a cellular provider with a cellular plan. Alternatively, if you have an iPhone and your carrier and plan support it, you could use the personal hotspot feature.
- Answered by Jack A from Brooklyn
- 08 4, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (So is the AirPort Express a portable wifi unit that I can travel on a bus with and use to access the internet?)
Does the Airport express base station work as a internet router?
- Asked by Michael E from Nixa
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport express base station work as a internet router?)
- Answered by Michael H from Arlington Heights
- 06 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Airport express base station work as a internet router?)
Can music be streamed from sources other than iTunes like Pandora?
My current set up is using a stereo Fm transmitter. I am able to listen to music all over my property wherever i have a sound system equiped with a tuner. With my IPhone plugged in, I can listen to Pandora, Internet radio stations or iTunes. I can also listen to XM radio when plugged in.
The only thing I do not like is the sound quality; there is a constant low frequency hum in the background.
I am willing to purchase an Extreme for each sound system but if i am limited to itunes and cannot steam Pandora, XM or Internet radio, it is not worth it.
- Asked by Joey G from Beebe Plain
- 08 2, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can music be streamed from sources other than iTunes like Pandora?)
Can audio from iMac music library be played through my iPad?
Wireless audio from iMac itunes library to play on iPad?
- Asked by David D from Toronto
- 10 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can audio from iMac music library be played through my iPad?)
Can i use 2 airport express, the other one as a repeater or extender?
- Asked by Jerson C from Wood Village
- 01 2, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use 2 airport express, the other one as a repeater or extender?)
Can you join two airport expresses together to extend wifi coverage?
I would like to have more than one airport express in the house to ensure decent coverage throughout, can these be joined together to act as one network across the property?
- Asked by Cliff W from Brighton
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you join two airport expresses together to extend wifi coverage?)
Can I play audio from samsung TV via airport express to built in surround system
i have airport express hard wired to built in surround speakers to pick up music from iPad, iPhone etc. can I output sound from my samsung smart TV to the surround speakers via airport express over wifi? Do I need software on tv?
- Asked by Alex D
- 01 26, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I play audio from samsung TV via airport express to built in surround system)
Can I use this airport to extend the range of a third party wifi network (non apple)?
I have a Thomson Tg585 v8 modem/router. Although at one end of the house the signal is weak. Could I place the airport at the weak end of the house to extend the range?