Questions & Answers for Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
412 Questions from the Community
Does the USB feature allow you to transfer more then Photo type Files? Like presentations from Keynotes, or documents created on the ipad?
- Asked by Ariel F from Lake Helen
- 05 27, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the USB feature allow you to transfer more then Photo type Files? Like presentations from Keynotes, or documents created on the ipad?)
Can I plug the iPad camera connection kit into the iPad and then plug the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter into that to access internet without wifi??
No answers yet
can I transfer a .gpx file that I would have received as an attachment in an e-mail to a Garmin GPS unit (via a USB cable)?
- Asked by Neil M from Vernon
- 09 14, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (can I transfer a .gpx file that I would have received as an attachment in an e-mail to a Garmin GPS unit (via a USB cable)?)
Can I use the SD card to import document including PFD and MS doc.
- Asked by Edward O from Glen Innes
- 07 4, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the SD card to import document including PFD and MS doc.)
can ipad/ipad camera connection kit be a good alternative to using a laptop on photoshoots
im a photographer and im looking to buy an ipad and camera connection kit to take on location shoots as replacement to my laptop.
when i finish photographing i back up the images taking them off the camera and straight onto a laptop..from there i'll take the images onto my mac as soon as im back at my machine..
the files are raw files and very large - taken from canon mark 5d ii ........ what is data transfer speed like? on 4gb amount of data, is it compatible with raw files and any photographer out there using it on there photoshoots? -what do you think
I hasten to add that I won't have my ipad and connection kit for just under 2 weeks but as a fellow UK photographer here is how I'm thinking just now.
1) For a 5d I'm assuming you are using UDMA CF cards. That means to connect you will use a direct connection via the USB adapter.
2) It is known that USB headphone/microphone set can be successfully connected to the USB adapter, as can a USB keyboard.
3) It is known that the USB adapter won't recognise external drives, only cameras. It might be that all external drives tested were USB bus powered and it might work with an external powered drive, we'll have to see.
4) It is known that while you can copy images and videos from the SD card reader to the iPad, you can't copy them from the iPad to the SD card reader.
5) It is known that the iPad shows reasonable images with Canon and Nikon raw files but terrible images with Leica DNG files which hold much smaller previews. This indicates that the iPad is not really reading the raw file but the jpeg previews inside the file package. Leica users are getting round that issue by shooting DNG+Jpeg and then the iPad works on the jpeg instead of the DNG file.
As such, right now, I think the answer is that you will still need the laptop for in-field editing unless you restrict your workflow to jpegs. However I'd expect that the demand for a fully raw capable iPad app will be high from photographers and if it doesn't appear in the form of an app with this itteration of the iPad, I'd think it will with a more powerfull 2nd generation iPad.
- Answered by William Noel H
- 05 18, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can ipad/ipad camera connection kit be a good alternative to using a laptop on photoshoots)
Sd compatible images to iPad.
I save digital Xrays of injured animals onto a SD card from my laptop in the field. My iPad will not recognise these images as compatible although it will take camera jpegs from the same SD card through the Camera Connection kit. Is there a specific file type or converter that will allow me to do this. The screen on the iPad is good enough to allow assessment of the images and this saves time rather than returning to the clinic. Thank you.
- Asked by Shane F
- 06 18, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Sd compatible images to iPad.)
Can I transfer images from my sony 'boogie, to my iPad
- Asked by Glenn A from Nhulunbuy
- 02 2, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I transfer images from my sony 'boogie, to my iPad)
No, iOS (iPad) dons't have printer drivers but you can add aIrplay support for any printer. Just google "how to add airplay to any printer"
- Answered by Michael M from Myrtle
- 01 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this connect to printer via USB cable? My printer isn't supported by AirPrint.)
Can you connect the iPod Touch 4th generation, to the iPad camera connection kit?
Like, plug the USB cord into the USB slot and upload photo's you have taken from your iPod Touch 4th generation.
- Asked by Caleb J from Hamilton
- 10 5, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you connect the iPod Touch 4th generation, to the iPad camera connection kit?)
No. The iPod Touch reports 'This accessory is not supported by iPod Touch'
- Answered by Phil A
- 11 12, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you connect the iPod Touch 4th generation, to the iPad camera connection kit?)
I transfer pictures from SD to iPad then iPad to iPhoto or Aperture, my camera is 14MP, are the photos coming in to iPhoto full 14MP resolution?
I take pictures and transfer them from my Camera to my iPad and then delete them off the SD card. I am not concerned with how the pictures show up on the ipad as much as I am with the final result of the pictures. I then transfer the pictures from the iPad to iPhoto or Aperture. Are my pictures on iPhoto/Aperture going to be full resolution or are they downsized because of the intermediate iPad transfer. If they are downsized, how much are we talking here in terms of megapixels. THANKS!Answer
Yes, they come through at the full resolution. They are not altered.
- Answered by John W from Ann Arbor
- 12 17, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I transfer pictures from SD to iPad then iPad to iPhoto or Aperture, my camera is 14MP, are the photos coming in to iPhoto full 14MP resolution?)
Yes, I just did this with my iPad, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 2G via the special cable, which was the 30 pin dock on one side to component video, stereo audio plus USB connector on the other side. I have a Samsung 40 inch LCD TV which has a USB port, call Wiselink, I think, and this actually charged my devices while using as well.
BUT!!!!! It did not display everything I saw on my native screen, but rather select apps. What worked for me: Youtube videos, Netflix movies and photo/video slideshow. Some apps support external video, some do not.
Bottom line: if you have specific needs, look into whether that app is compatible or not first, and save yourself the disappointment if it does not work.
I believe that cable comes in two varieties: dock connector to component video ( 3 individual colors, high res video) and composite video (RCA style connector, lower res video.)
With all iPad CAN do, limited functionality in certain areas is not a dealbreaker for me. It is a great device that runs so much wonderful and affordable content by way of the app store.
BTW, this question does not pertain to the iPad camera connection kit, as you would need the video cable to accomplish this particular task.
- Answered by Michael N from Runnemede
- 01 17, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will ipad connect to tv)
Does does the SD connector hold the longer Memory Cards such as the Sony Pro?
The Sony Memory Card is longer that most and I was just wondering if the SD Connector will hold it?
- Asked by Jamie T from Lancaster
- 05 9, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Does does the SD connector hold the longer Memory Cards such as the Sony Pro?)
The length of the card, for example the converter for DuoPro to SD, has no effect on its ability to be put in the adaptor. It should fit without any difficulties, but it will just stick out farther...
- Answered by Peter S from Surrey
- 06 2, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does does the SD connector hold the longer Memory Cards such as the Sony Pro?)
You can import .m4v files that are synched onto the raw hard drive of your ipod. You cannot play files -of any type- that you loaded through iTunes.
So you could use an iPod for an iPad video hard drive, you can't watch the same file on your ipod and ipad
- Answered by John M from Brooklyn
- 04 28, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Using this Kit can you show videos that are on your Ipod to your Ipad screen?)
Does the camera connection kit it work with the iOS 4.2
- Asked by Joanna K from Irvine
- 12 12, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the camera connection kit it work with the iOS 4.2)
Yes but only iPad
- Answered by Drew B from Calgary
- 01 31, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the camera connection kit it work with the iOS 4.2)
Yes you can. I just did so and they automatically uploaded into the photos app. Looking now how to handle video. It uploaded the video but may need an app to play.
- Answered by James M from Dripping Springs
- 07 14, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I download pictures from a Kodak Zi8 using the IPad camera connection kit?)
will sd card reader play hd videos
Will the SD card connecter play videos from a JVC HD camcorder?
- Asked by Nigel V from Melbourne
- 02 17, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (will sd card reader play hd videos)