Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1855 Questions from the Community
Does my 2.26 intel processor can handle 64 bit aplications that Snow Leopard comes up with???
I have a13 inch MacBook Pro I have Leopard installed and I would like to update to Snow Leopard. So I would like to know if my intel 2.26 procesor can handle 64 bit aplications???
As long as you have the Intel processor, yes you can run Snow Leopard (10.6) with 4 gigs of RAM. That's more than enough.
HOWEVER, if you are still running the the PowerPC processor (G3, G4, G5 processors) I'm afraid you are stuck at Tiger (10.4). That was the final Operating System for that series of processor. No further upgrades are possible, no matter the the amount of RAM you have.
- Answered by Geoffery Dean J from Edmonton
- 09 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I run the mac OS 10.6 on a mac that has 4GB?)
Will installing 10.6, write over and correct my badly running 10.5.8? Safari is now really bad, having to use Firefox. I really hate that beachball!
No answers yet
will word and excel 2004 work with leopard snow?
- Asked by Michael B from Charlotte
- 10 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (will word and excel 2004 work with leopard snow?)
Microsoft Office 2004 will work with Mac OS X Snow Leopard through Rosetta, which allows older PowerPC-only apps to work on Macs with Intel processors.
Rosetta is not installed by default with Snow Leopard, but you will be given the option to install it the first time you attempt to run a PowerPC-only app. Keep in mind that the application may run slower due to the older code that must be translated on-the-fly.
- Answered by Mike B from Roswell
- 10 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will word and excel 2004 work with leopard snow?)
Do I need a previous version of the family pack in order to buy and install the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Family Pack?
- Asked by Langis G from Orleans
- 07 6, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need a previous version of the family pack in order to buy and install the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Family Pack?)
The Family Pack simply gives you licenses to install on up to 5 Macs in a household.
If you are wanting to upgrade a Mac installed previously with a license from a Family Pack, you can upgrade with a single license purchase.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 07 8, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I need a previous version of the family pack in order to buy and install the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Family Pack?)
I have OSX 10.4.11 and I don't think that it is Tiger (or at least I'm not sure. Can I upgrade to the $29.99 Snow Leopard?
- Asked by James M from West Haven
- 11 5, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I have OSX 10.4.11 and I don't think that it is Tiger (or at least I'm not sure. Can I upgrade to the $29.99 Snow Leopard?)
Hi,Your OSX 10.4.11 is a tiger as i have one myself and yes you can upgrade to snow leopard which i have also done and i can totally recommend it.I hope this as been some use to you.
Nope. You must install it from the installation disk included with the box, available at any Apple Retail Store, or at the Apple Online Store.
- Answered by Tanner H from Salt Lake City
- 10 10, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i wish to buy macos x snow leopard and to download it on my mac book pro. Can I do it without shiping installation disk?)
I use road runner and outlook. Will this combination work with mac os x 10.6 snow leopard
I currently use road runner (Time Warner) for ISP. I can receive emails on my Mac Outlook, but I cannot send email. I currently have MAC OS on my iMAC. If I upgrade to MAC OS X 10.6, will this solve my problem.?
- Asked by Keith M from Austin
- 08 3, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (I use road runner and outlook. Will this combination work with mac os x 10.6 snow leopard)
No, it won't erase your existing software and documents.
However, I'm always nervous installing directly over an old system, so here is what I did:
1) Clone the partition with the old OS to a partition on an external "bootable" hard drive (I'm using an iMac).
2) Test that the external hard drive will Start Up your Mac and your old OS functions as normal (hold down the OPTION key during Start Up to choose which partition/hard drive you want to Start Up from).
3) Use the Snow Leopard install disk to erase the partition on the INTERNAL hard drive that has the old OS and install Snow Leopard (I used the $29 DVD.)
4) During installation, you will be asked if you want to transfer your settings, files and/or applications from the partition with the old OS. Do this.
5) When done, Start Up from the Snow Leopard partition and make sure everything running smoothly.
Using this method, you have your old OS and all your old files ready to Start Up from in case, for some odd reason, something does not work quite right in Snow Leopard. In my case, I upgraded from OS10.4.11 and some printer drivers and a scanner utility needed special upgrading before they would work in Snow Leopard. While I was figuring this out, I could jump back and start up from OS10.4.11 and use the printers and scanner until I could implement the solutions.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- 01 8, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (would it erase all my existing software and documents when upgrading to snow leopard?)
I have purchased a new imac with snow leopard on it. Can I use the restore disc to upgrade my older imac? Or do I need to purchase new discs?
No answers yet
I have an old MacBook (OS X 10.4.11) and a new Macbook Pro (OS X 10.6.8). Do I need to get both the Snow Leopard and the Snow Leopard Box Set?Answer
- Answered by Josh W from Devonport
- 08 11, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have an old MacBook (OS X 10.4.11) and a new Macbook Pro (OS X 10.6.8). Do I need to get both the Snow Leopard and the Snow Leopard Box Set?)
Does Snow Leopard come with a free Fax program
- Asked by Wilfredo A from Chicago
- 12 28, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Snow Leopard come with a free Fax program)
Is quick time pro included on snow leopard
- Asked by Daniel B from Wasilla
- 12 8, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Is quick time pro included on snow leopard)
Do I have to buy the Box Set Snow Leopard if I have a Mac Book with OSX 10.4.11. or can I just get the Snow Leopard Upgrade for 29$, too ???
Is there a disadvantage if I do not have i Life and i Work '09?Answer
You would have to find Leopard in a store, and then upgrade to Snow Leopard without using the Mac set. The thing is that Snow Leopard isn't compatible with the old iPhoto, etc.
- Answered by Teanna M from Carlsbad
- 04 5, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I have to buy the Box Set Snow Leopard if I have a Mac Book with OSX 10.4.11. or can I just get the Snow Leopard Upgrade for 29$, too ???)
Hard drive crashed on my 08 MacBook Pro that ran Leopard. can I install 10.6 on the new bare hard drive without issues? Any advice at all? Thanks!Answer
If you have an Intel-based Mac, you can install Snow Leopard.
All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your new hard drive. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files. Also, if you have another partition with an older OS on it, at some point during the installation, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition.)
can i run snow leopard on a itouch?
i had a old shuffle connected to my laptop and was using disk utility and saw the utility recognized the shuffle as a 1GB hard disk and i could partition it like any other hard disk. i also have a old iTouch and if i were to install snow leopard or even lion to it, would it work or even just boot? and is that technically jail breaking an iTouch even though i'm putting apple software onto the device?
- Asked by Diane H from Fairfax
- 11 27, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (can i run snow leopard on a itouch?)
Will Quark 6.1 run with Snow Leopard
- Asked by Heather S from Metairie
- 07 25, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Quark 6.1 run with Snow Leopard)
My Mac has a GHz PowerPC G4 processor. Can I upgrade with that?
- Asked by Kimberly P from Avon Lake
- 02 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (My Mac has a GHz PowerPC G4 processor. Can I upgrade with that?)
The furthest you can upgrade is to OS 10.5. Snow Leopard MUST have an Intel process (which the PowerPC processor is not).
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 02 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (My Mac has a GHz PowerPC G4 processor. Can I upgrade with that?)