Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1837 Questions from the Community
Does Snow Leopard come with a free Fax program
- Asked by Wilfredo A from Chicago
- 12 28, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Snow Leopard come with a free Fax program)
Is quick time pro included on snow leopard
- Asked by Daniel B from Wasilla
- 12 8, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Is quick time pro included on snow leopard)
Do I have to buy the Box Set Snow Leopard if I have a Mac Book with OSX 10.4.11. or can I just get the Snow Leopard Upgrade for 29$, too ???
Is there a disadvantage if I do not have i Life and i Work '09?Answer
You would have to find Leopard in a store, and then upgrade to Snow Leopard without using the Mac set. The thing is that Snow Leopard isn't compatible with the old iPhoto, etc.
- Answered by Teanna M from Carlsbad
- 04 5, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I have to buy the Box Set Snow Leopard if I have a Mac Book with OSX 10.4.11. or can I just get the Snow Leopard Upgrade for 29$, too ???)
Hard drive crashed on my 08 MacBook Pro that ran Leopard. can I install 10.6 on the new bare hard drive without issues? Any advice at all? Thanks!Answer
If you have an Intel-based Mac, you can install Snow Leopard.
All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your new hard drive. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files. Also, if you have another partition with an older OS on it, at some point during the installation, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition.)
can i run snow leopard on a itouch?
i had a old shuffle connected to my laptop and was using disk utility and saw the utility recognized the shuffle as a 1GB hard disk and i could partition it like any other hard disk. i also have a old iTouch and if i were to install snow leopard or even lion to it, would it work or even just boot? and is that technically jail breaking an iTouch even though i'm putting apple software onto the device?
- Asked by Diane H from Fairfax
- 11 27, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (can i run snow leopard on a itouch?)
Will Quark 6.1 run with Snow Leopard
- Asked by Heather S from Metairie
- 07 25, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Quark 6.1 run with Snow Leopard)
My Mac has a GHz PowerPC G4 processor. Can I upgrade with that?
- Asked by Kimberly P from Avon Lake
- 02 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (My Mac has a GHz PowerPC G4 processor. Can I upgrade with that?)
The furthest you can upgrade is to OS 10.5. Snow Leopard MUST have an Intel process (which the PowerPC processor is not).
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 02 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (My Mac has a GHz PowerPC G4 processor. Can I upgrade with that?)
Most printers say compatible with 10.5x. Will they work on 10.6?
- Asked by Rutherford B from Cleveland
- 10 19, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Most printers say compatible with 10.5x. Will they work on 10.6?)
Can this OS split into sperate uses ?
Like in Windows?
- Asked by Adam M
- 12 29, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this OS split into sperate uses ?)
I have Mac OS 10.4.11 and need to upgrade to 10.6 to install Airport Extreme. I have already purchased iLife. What are my options
- Asked by Jack S from Wellesley
- 01 31, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (I have Mac OS 10.4.11 and need to upgrade to 10.6 to install Airport Extreme. I have already purchased iLife. What are my options)
Speaking in terms of upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard Apple only meant Snow Leopard to be able to upgrade from Leopard installs, but from experience upgrading for tiger to snow leopard is possible. Apple did not recommend it because at the launch of Snow Leopard because a lot of the powerpc based applications out at the time that where designed to run on tiger either did not work or worked but had compatibility problems. You want to make sure that after you upgrade your OS you update all your commonly used applications (browsers, media applications, productivity applications, etc) that way you get a stable experience. Hope this helps!
- Answered by Ryan T from Naples
- 05 14, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have Mac OS 10.4.11 and need to upgrade to 10.6 to install Airport Extreme. I have already purchased iLife. What are my options)
Is hp photosmart c3180 compatible with snow leopard?
I am planning to update from OS10.4.11 to Snow Leopard. Will Snow Leopard support my HP Photosmart c3180 printer?
- Asked by Ralph N from Lavale
- 01 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is hp photosmart c3180 compatible with snow leopard?)
I have a macbook and want to upgrade. How far can I go without having problems with previous installed programs. In the worst case, can I go back?
Mac OS 10.4.11 2.16 GHz Intel core duo
production June 2006
No answers yet
what software/upgrade modifies my i mac OS X 10.5.8 to run windows also
I had a mac 9.1 . IT OPENED BOTH FILES FOR SCHOOL (WINDOWS&MAC). NOW I MOVED TO A CITY THAT DOES NOT SELL ANYTHING BUT WINDOWS. I RECENTLY BOUGHT ¡MAC OSX 10.5.8 . WHAT SOFTWARE CAN I INSIALL SO I CAN OPEN WINDOWS & MAC
- Asked by Frank S from Laughlin
- 11 7, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (what software/upgrade modifies my i mac OS X 10.5.8 to run windows also)
I just bought an IPD Touch and an IPad both 32 GB. I have OS X 10.4.11 2.4 GH Intel Core Processor and 2 GB Memory.
What do I need to do to upgrade my computer so I can use the IPod and IPad. Right now my IPod Touch will not even charge the battery when I connect it to the MAC. HELP!!!
- Asked by Stephen T from Pittsford
- 11 8, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (I just bought an IPD Touch and an IPad both 32 GB. I have OS X 10.4.11 2.4 GH Intel Core Processor and 2 GB Memory.)
The previous response is correct, but you'll need to buy the Box Set to upgrade from 10.4, which is $129. Lion (10.7) is slated to come out this summer, so I assume you can't wait that long! You could buy Snow Leopard now ($129), then upgrade to Lion (I guess another $29) this summer.
Don't you love it when you buy new Apple products and have to upgrade your OS to use them?!!!!
Is Snow Leopard compatible with AVCHD format videocamera footage?
- Asked by Karen B from Beaufort
- 11 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Snow Leopard compatible with AVCHD format videocamera footage?)
I have erased accidentally programs on my Mac. If I buy the upgrade, will the missing programs be re-installed?
I have erased Photobooth, Ichat, etc.
I wanted to reinstall my computer, but when I bought my Mac (10.5.8), I don't think it came with a software, so I couldn't re-install my computer.
Thanks in Advance
Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion are all operating systems used to run the Mac. They are also called OS 10.6, OS 10.7, and OS 10.8 respectively.
To see which operating system is currently on your Mac, go to the Apple Menu and select "About This Mac". The version of the Operating System is shown in the second line (directly under the large "OS X" type).
If you bought your Mac brand new this year, it most likely has Mountain Lion already installed (OS 10.8). The most current version of Mountain Lion is OS 10.8.5.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 09 30, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i bought a mac pro this year does that have 10.6 snow leopard or what is that.)
will it delete the current version, or will it permanently take up 5GB of space?
i am running low on hard drive space and would like to know if it will delete the current version.
- Asked by Joel S from Zionsville
- 10 22, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (will it delete the current version, or will it permanently take up 5GB of space?)
When you install Snow Leopard, it should actually free up a lot of space. At least, that's what everyone's experience has been so far. One of the improvements of Leopard is the boost in efficiency. That's why they chose the word "snow" -- it's lighter.
- Answered by Kevin M from Greenwood
- 10 29, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will it delete the current version, or will it permanently take up 5GB of space?)