Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1852 Questions from the Community
I have Mac OS 10.4.11 and need to upgrade to 10.6 to install Airport Extreme. I have already purchased iLife. What are my options
- Asked by Jack S from Wellesley
- 01 31, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (I have Mac OS 10.4.11 and need to upgrade to 10.6 to install Airport Extreme. I have already purchased iLife. What are my options)
Speaking in terms of upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard Apple only meant Snow Leopard to be able to upgrade from Leopard installs, but from experience upgrading for tiger to snow leopard is possible. Apple did not recommend it because at the launch of Snow Leopard because a lot of the powerpc based applications out at the time that where designed to run on tiger either did not work or worked but had compatibility problems. You want to make sure that after you upgrade your OS you update all your commonly used applications (browsers, media applications, productivity applications, etc) that way you get a stable experience. Hope this helps!
- Answered by Ryan T from Naples
- 05 14, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have Mac OS 10.4.11 and need to upgrade to 10.6 to install Airport Extreme. I have already purchased iLife. What are my options)
Is hp photosmart c3180 compatible with snow leopard?
I am planning to update from OS10.4.11 to Snow Leopard. Will Snow Leopard support my HP Photosmart c3180 printer?
- Asked by Ralph N from Lavale
- 01 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is hp photosmart c3180 compatible with snow leopard?)
I have a macbook and want to upgrade. How far can I go without having problems with previous installed programs. In the worst case, can I go back?
Mac OS 10.4.11 2.16 GHz Intel core duo
production June 2006
No answers yet
what software/upgrade modifies my i mac OS X 10.5.8 to run windows also
I had a mac 9.1 . IT OPENED BOTH FILES FOR SCHOOL (WINDOWS&MAC). NOW I MOVED TO A CITY THAT DOES NOT SELL ANYTHING BUT WINDOWS. I RECENTLY BOUGHT ¡MAC OSX 10.5.8 . WHAT SOFTWARE CAN I INSIALL SO I CAN OPEN WINDOWS & MAC
- Asked by Frank S from Laughlin
- 11 7, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (what software/upgrade modifies my i mac OS X 10.5.8 to run windows also)
I just bought an IPD Touch and an IPad both 32 GB. I have OS X 10.4.11 2.4 GH Intel Core Processor and 2 GB Memory.
What do I need to do to upgrade my computer so I can use the IPod and IPad. Right now my IPod Touch will not even charge the battery when I connect it to the MAC. HELP!!!
- Asked by Stephen T from Pittsford
- 11 8, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (I just bought an IPD Touch and an IPad both 32 GB. I have OS X 10.4.11 2.4 GH Intel Core Processor and 2 GB Memory.)
The previous response is correct, but you'll need to buy the Box Set to upgrade from 10.4, which is $129. Lion (10.7) is slated to come out this summer, so I assume you can't wait that long! You could buy Snow Leopard now ($129), then upgrade to Lion (I guess another $29) this summer.
Don't you love it when you buy new Apple products and have to upgrade your OS to use them?!!!!
Is Snow Leopard compatible with AVCHD format videocamera footage?
- Asked by Karen B from Beaufort
- 11 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Snow Leopard compatible with AVCHD format videocamera footage?)
I have erased accidentally programs on my Mac. If I buy the upgrade, will the missing programs be re-installed?
I have erased Photobooth, Ichat, etc.
I wanted to reinstall my computer, but when I bought my Mac (10.5.8), I don't think it came with a software, so I couldn't re-install my computer.
Thanks in Advance
Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion are all operating systems used to run the Mac. They are also called OS 10.6, OS 10.7, and OS 10.8 respectively.
To see which operating system is currently on your Mac, go to the Apple Menu and select "About This Mac". The version of the Operating System is shown in the second line (directly under the large "OS X" type).
If you bought your Mac brand new this year, it most likely has Mountain Lion already installed (OS 10.8). The most current version of Mountain Lion is OS 10.8.5.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 09 30, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i bought a mac pro this year does that have 10.6 snow leopard or what is that.)
will it delete the current version, or will it permanently take up 5GB of space?
i am running low on hard drive space and would like to know if it will delete the current version.
- Asked by Joel S from Zionsville
- 10 22, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (will it delete the current version, or will it permanently take up 5GB of space?)
When you install Snow Leopard, it should actually free up a lot of space. At least, that's what everyone's experience has been so far. One of the improvements of Leopard is the boost in efficiency. That's why they chose the word "snow" -- it's lighter.
- Answered by Kevin M from Greenwood
- 10 29, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will it delete the current version, or will it permanently take up 5GB of space?)
Is HughesNet compatible with Mac OS X 10.6?
Info on Snow Leopard indicates some features of Snow Leopard are dependent on compatible ISP. Is HughesNet fully compatible?
- Asked by Kathy B from Clarksville
- 04 29, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is HughesNet compatible with Mac OS X 10.6?)
We have bought the family pack, but we have 6 macs to upgrade. Can we get an extra licence added to the family pack somehow?
would it be worth it to upgrade to snow leopard for $30 even though i have leopard 10.5.8? what are the major new feature that im missing?Best Answer:
Yes, because the snow leopard is the best one out there for 2 reasons #1 it is faster with ur mac since it is 64bit and takes all the advantiges of it, #2 alot of new apps like quicktime x and alot of better things that are faster
- Answered by Paula N from North Vancouver
- 10 27, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (would it be worth it to upgrade to snow leopard for $30 even though i have leopard 10.5.8? what are the major new feature that im missing?)
I m concerned that Snow leopard may alter the performance of Office Mac (entourage, word, power point) installed in my lap top..is this an issue?Best Answer:
I've been using Office Mac 2008 with Snow Leopard since its release, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and limited Entourage usage, all work exceptionally well. I've also received a few updates from MS for Office with good results.
I have a 2007 black Macbook 2.0gHz, 4GB ram, Core 2 Duo. Hopefully this answers your question.
I am running a windows vista instance with bootcamp on a partition that was made by boot camp.. will upgrading to 10.6 wipe my windows partition?
Also will the data on the apple partition be preserved or erased when I upgrade to 10.6.
No answers yet
Yes - provided that you have 1GB RAM (minimum), a few GB of disk space and access to a functioning DVD drive
- Answered by Rodney W from Niddrie
- 03 18, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have Mac OSX 10.5.8, processor 2GHz intel core 2 duo. Can I install OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard?)
Do I have to update iPhoto with an upgrade to Snow Leopard or can I leave it as version 9.2.1 safely ?
I have an iPhoto Library of over 70,000 images and there have been a couple of times where some weird stuff has happened and I lost photos. I want to take advantage of a system update but have not updated iPhoto since 9.2.1 for fear of the whole thing crashing.
- Asked by Chris J from Port Douglas
- 04 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I have to update iPhoto with an upgrade to Snow Leopard or can I leave it as version 9.2.1 safely ?)
I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger and I have a Intel processor, Would it be necessary to buy the Mac Box Set or the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?Best Answer:
IF you are trying to go to OSX 10.7 then you will need to purchase the box set as you can not jump past an OS upgrade