Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1837 Questions from the Community
I have a 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo 3GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM for memory. Is that enough to download 10.6 from 10.4 Tiger or do I need to upgrade memory?
The plan is to upgrade to 10.6. I guess I will have to use a remote drive since I don't have a cd-drive? Then go from that to Lion 10.7. Do I need more memory?
can i install snow leopard on a macbook pro and an imac?
I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. Can I install Snow Leopard on both using one disk? Or do I have to purchase two versions of Snow Leopard?
- Asked by Jarrod S from Mount Vernon
- 02 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can i install snow leopard on a macbook pro and an imac?)
The same disk will work on both (as long as both have Intel-processors).
However, you should have a license for both, and that is obtained by buying the disk. Currently Snow Leopard only comes as a single license package, but it used to also come as a Family Pack, with licenses for up to 5 macs in household.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 02 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i install snow leopard on a macbook pro and an imac?)
Can you update multiple computers to Snow Leopard using the same box?
My school just sold me my old MacBook for $50.00 and none of the software is up to date and I've never had to update my software before, so I want to be able to update my other MacBook as well.
- Asked by Ellen K from Bernard
- 08 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you update multiple computers to Snow Leopard using the same box?)
The same retail "box" of Snow Leopard can be used on multiple Macs.
However, you are supposed to have a license for each Mac, and therefore purchase Snow Leopard for each Mac.
A few years ago, Snow Leopard was available in a Family Pack, which included licenses for 5 Macs in a household but a single disk. It cost $49 while the single license Snow Leopard cost $29 at that time. The disk was the same in both packages, and the same disk is sold today.
When Family Pack was discontinued, the price of the single license Snow Leopard dropped to $19. This is unbelievably cheap when considering that the previous version of Mac OS (OS 10.5 Leopard) could not be purchased for less than $129.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 08 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you update multiple computers to Snow Leopard using the same box?)
I have OS X 10.4.11, Can I upgrade with Snow leopard OS X 10.6? I want to upgrade so that I can use Photoshop Elements, will this be enough for that?
- Asked by Jennifer M from St.albert
- 01 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (I have OS X 10.4.11, Can I upgrade with Snow leopard OS X 10.6? I want to upgrade so that I can use Photoshop Elements, will this be enough for that?)
To upgrade to OS X 10.6 you will need an Intel based Mac with at least 1GB RAM, 5GB hard disk space and a DVD drive.
If your Mac doesn't meet those specifications... it is time to upgrade your hardware (which will come with Lion).
If you have a Core 2 Duo Mac with 2GB RAM or greater, then you can upgrade all the way to Lion. My 2007 MacBook runs Lion acceptably well, which is quite impressive for a 5 year old machine!
Can Time Machine backup to multiple disk on a daliy rotation?
I want to have two external hard disk on a backup rotation. So:
Day 1 - Disk 1 attached and backing up. Disk 1 removed at end of Day
Day 2 - Disk 2 attached and backing up. Disk 2 removed at end of Day
Day 3 - Disk 1 attached and backing up. Disk 1 removed at end of Day
and so on in a continuing cycle. If I assign each of the HDs to Time Machine, will this process work.
BTW, I am also using Time Machine to back up to an internal HD
- Asked by Peter H
- 03 4, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Time Machine backup to multiple disk on a daliy rotation?)
i have purchased the update in france but is the language going to change on my computer because of this. It is written in french on the box.Answer
You should be able to change the language of your operating system anytime by going to "System Preferences" and then going to "Language & Text." Also, if you haven't installed it yet, you can chose the language during setup.
- Answered by Jerry P from Fayetteville
- 11 5, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have purchased the update in france but is the language going to change on my computer because of this. It is written in french on the box.)
What Graphic Cards are supported
- Asked by Greg D from Clark
- 04 2, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What Graphic Cards are supported)
I have G5 PowerMac - powerpc 970 (2.2) - OS 10.4.11, so I can't update to snow leopard?
- Asked by Elizabeth J. C from Fern Glen
- 11 22, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I have G5 PowerMac - powerpc 970 (2.2) - OS 10.4.11, so I can't update to snow leopard?)
No you need an Intel based Mac for it to work.
- Answered by Stephen C from Birmingham
- 11 24, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have G5 PowerMac - powerpc 970 (2.2) - OS 10.4.11, so I can't update to snow leopard?)
No. The space that you gain will be from trimming down the operating system itself. Your files remain untouched. That said, take it from a professional network administrator: I've never seen a backup cause data loss.
- Answered by Kevin M from Greenwood
- 10 29, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I installed the new Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard does it delete all my files and stuff in the laptop ?)
Can I run VectorWorks 12.5 on Snow Leopard. Is it possible to import all data from Entourage (microsoft office 2008) to Mail, iCal and Address book?
No answers yet
what upgrade from mac osx 10.5.8 is best? Do I just purchase 10.6 snow leopard or should I get a later os x? I have 2GHz intel and 2GB memory.
No answers yet
my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software
my dvd is not reading disk and would like to upgrade to snow leopard. do I have any other options besides replacing my dvd superdrive?
- Asked by Jeffrey P from Westerville
- 10 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software)
Replacing your internal drive is usually ~$300.
With newer Macs, you can install software from a DVD in another computer via Wi-Fi. Really cool! With all Macs that have Firewire, you can boot your Mac with the "T" key held down, connect it to a Mac that has a working DVD drive, and install Snow Leopard to your Mac. Your Mac is seen as an external hard drive by the Mac with the working DVD drive.
Lastly, the Genius Bar has done software installs for me. They either use external hard drives with the Operating System on them or they do it from a server. Just bring your Snow Leopard disc as a proof of purchase.
- Answered by Steven M from Durham
- 10 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software)
Here is what I have. Can I download snow leopard? Hardware Overview: Machine Name: iMac G5 Machine Model: PowerMac8,2 CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.
want to copy pictures and music to the iPad.
I upgraded an iMac directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard and have had no issues whatsoever.
- Answered by Michael K from Falls Church
- 10 22, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have Tiger on an Intel Macbook. Can I purchase the $30 upgrade, or am I now forced to purchase a full dvd?)