Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1853 Questions from the Community
Typically, a clean install is the best path, regardless of platform. It has no effect on the Apple Care warranty. Unfortunately, this is not always an option. There are multiple options for installing OS X; upgrade (which erases your data and software completely, then re-installs it), dual-boot, or perform an upgrade (which may cause compatibility issues, depending on your software, required libraries, etc).
- Answered by Robert E from Lebanon
- 12 23, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is it good to do clean install or just upgrade?? does clean install make any harm to apple care protection?)
I doubt it. Snow Leopard was released in August 2009 at the same time you bought your MacBook, so you may have had an offer from a vendor that was available back then. But that was 3.5 years ago. (And even it the offer was still available, you will likely need your receipt with the date of purchase.)
There was also a program to upgrade to Snow Leopard for free in order to entice Mac owners to move to Lion. However, this free upgrade program expired on June 15, 2012. Do an internet search for "upgrade-your-old-mac-to-snow-leopard-for-free" for more details.
So your alternative is to buy Snow Leopard. The price has dropped. Instead of costing $30, it is now only $20. (A far cry from the $130 of previous versions such as Leopard.)
At $20, it is a very good price.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 02 14, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I bought a Macbook Pro 15" in August 2009. Am I eligible for a free upgrade to Snow Leopard?)
No. All your files will remain intact.
But if you want to be extra safe in case of power outage during installation, etc, then do the following:
1) create a new partition on your hard drive and install Snow Leopard to it.
2) during install the installer will look for all other partitions with another (older) OS. If found, it will ask you if you want to import OS settings, files and apps from the other partition. Do this.
3) In end you have a dual system Mac, and can start up from either OS by selecting StartUp Disk in System Preferences (or pressing the Option key at StartUp.)
4) Make sure you only update files on the new partition, and don't receive email in your old partition.
5) The advantage of the dual boot Mac, is if you have special drivers for printers or scanners that only work in the older OS, you can still use the printers and scanners until you find a solution in the new OS. Once you are happy that everything is just the way you want in the new OS, you can delete the partition with the old OS.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 08 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does snow leopard os x delete all files on your mac, including music and documents?)
Yes, all Macs with Intel processors support Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Because your Mac mini is still running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, you will need to purchase the Mac Box Set for $169, which includes Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, iLife '09, and iWork '09.
- Answered by Mike B from Roswell
- 10 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (My Mini Max has 10.4.11 and a 1.66 Hz. Intel core duo can I upgrade to snow leopard??)
I want to to create a snow leopard partition on an iMac running Lion. Can I use a MacBook Pro 10.6 install disc on an iMac?
Can the MacBook Pro Install Disc be used to install the OS on an iMac?
- Asked by Dr. Irving L from Naples
- 11 18, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (I want to to create a snow leopard partition on an iMac running Lion. Can I use a MacBook Pro 10.6 install disc on an iMac?)
Can I downaload Mountain Lion from the Apple Store here? I don't need another CD or DVD lying around.
Thanks for reading my question.
All i want to do is update my software so i can run my new (gifted) iPod. It requires 10.7 iTunes and such.
I am running on OS X 10.5.8 and meet all the hardware requirements for Mountain lion, but I really don't want another CD or DVD gathering dust just so i can use my device.
Is there a way to purchase Mountain Lion for download instead of purchasing a disc?
- Asked by Alexandre G from Courtenay
- 07 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I downaload Mountain Lion from the Apple Store here? I don't need another CD or DVD lying around.)
Mountain Lion is only available as a download from the App Store. Mountain Lion is OS 10.8 (not to be confused with Lion OS 10.7). Mountain Lion does not run on Macs older than 2007 - 2009.
However, to have access the App Store in order to download Mountain Lion, you have to have Snow Leopard OS 10.6.6 or later (preferably OS 10.6.8). The only way to obtain Snow Leopard is to have the DVD.
Once Snow Leopard is installed, go to Apple Menu and do Software Update to get to OS 10.6.8.
BTW: iTunes 10.7 will run under Snow Leopard OS 10.6.8. You do not need Mountain Lion to run iTunes 10.7.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 07 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I downaload Mountain Lion from the Apple Store here? I don't need another CD or DVD lying around.)
I have Imac 10.1 w/Intel Core 2 Duo Processor can I upgrade to SL??? G.C. from Auburn CA
Modle Identifier-iMac 10.1
Processor Speed-3.06 GHz
# of Processors-1
Total # of Cores -2
- Asked by Tatheer F C from Auburn
- 01 14, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (I have Imac 10.1 w/Intel Core 2 Duo Processor can I upgrade to SL??? G.C. from Auburn CA)
will mac osx work on windows xp
- Asked by Cambra C from Aguanga
- 04 20, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (will mac osx work on windows xp)
- Answered by Ollie N
- 04 25, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will mac osx work on windows xp)
Upgrading your operating system does not affect your personal files (pictures, music, applications, etc.), but only the system files that you probably never even see. I have the same files from Snow Leopard (10.6), and I'm currently running Mavericks (10.9).
- Answered by Patrick S from Mineville
- 12 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (if upgrading to snow leopard will i be able to use my pictures music ect. from leopard?)
discount on snow leopard
At the time we purchased our iMac with Leopard we were told we would be able to purchase the Snow Leopard upgrade for $9.99. It has been a bit over a year since we bought the iMac. Is it too late to pay the discounted rate to get Snow leopard. If not, how do I find that rate (I have been unable to find it in the Apple store). Thank you.
- Asked by Michael S from Chicago
- 01 27, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (discount on snow leopard)
Does all versions of VMWare work with snow leopard?
- Asked by Brian G from Aliso Viejo
- 11 5, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Does all versions of VMWare work with snow leopard?)
If I buy the 10.6 family pack, will it work on two Macbooks in the same family but under seperate roofs?
I am looking to upgrade to OS X 10.6, but the other macbook that I wish to update to 10.6 is in Brisbane, whereas I am in Sydney. Will the software allow both Macbooks to upgrade?
- Asked by Greg D from Sydney
- 08 7, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (If I buy the 10.6 family pack, will it work on two Macbooks in the same family but under seperate roofs?)
No. Snow leopard requires an Intel processor.
- Answered by Nicholas S from Santa Clara
- 10 7, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is this working with ibook g4(1.2 ghz)(OSX 10.5 Leopard))
will i be able to upgrade my MBPRO 10.5.8 to the soon to be released lion?
- Asked by Roland M from San Francisco
- 12 10, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (will i be able to upgrade my MBPRO 10.5.8 to the soon to be released lion?)
It took a while but I found the answer to my own question:
"If you have purchased a Family Pack license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited nonexclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-branded computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. The Family Pack License does not extend to business or commercial users."
- Answered by Denis M from Fredericktown
- 08 13, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (We have 4 MacBooks and 1 iMac (six kids). Will the family pack be enough to cover all our Macs?)
i have a mac g5 osx 10.4.11 and am running pro tools le 7 7.1 i want to get to pro tools 8.1 i was told that i could upgrade to leopard to do this
which leopard (10.5 ? )
can i order it online
is this information correct?
- Asked by Jon M from Hendersonville
- 07 28, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (i have a mac g5 osx 10.4.11 and am running pro tools le 7 7.1 i want to get to pro tools 8.1 i was told that i could upgrade to leopard to do this)
No answers yet