Questions & Answers for Apple USB Ethernet Adapter
104 Questions from the Community
- Answered by Sergei M from Mount Kisco
- 05 6, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (dos it work abroad??)
If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to plug this adapter into your TV and use it to connect to your wireless network?
If so, then no, you can't.
The USB port on your TV is usually for either firmware updates or playing music, photos, etc, off of a thumb drive. It's not used to connect devices. And even if it were, it's very unlikely your TV would have the drivers to USE a networking cable.
And even if it COULD, it's extraordinarily doubtful that it'd have the configuration utilities to be able to configure a network.
And lastly, this is a wired ethernet adapter. You can't use it to connect to a wireless network, only a hard-wire network.
- Answered by J N from Northbridge
- 12 2, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use this to connect to my mac wireless in my house to a LG TV whic has a USB to sream movies,music, etc.)
Could I use this to connect my old PowerMac 9500 to my imac?
- Asked by Susan L from Sequim
- 01 9, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Could I use this to connect my old PowerMac 9500 to my imac?)
Print to an HP5000DN via it's ethernet connection.
I have a MacBook Pro 17 that prints fine to the printer via the printers own IP address, but I want to print from the ethernet challenged Retina MBP 15. I tried using it on the already working MBP 17, but it didn't recognize the printer. Will it work? And do I need different settings when using the adapter versus the built-in ethernet?
- Asked by Bill F from Rancho Mirage
- 02 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Print to an HP5000DN via it's ethernet connection.)
Will this adapter continue working with the new MacBook Air 2012?
I have one of these. I bought it for my old Air. Apple promotes the Thunderbold to Ethernet adapter but no mention whether this is still supported in the new one.
I'd hate to lose the Thunderbold port for this as I need to use the VGA adapter AND the Ethernet adapter simultaneously.
- Asked by Raúl Cristián A from Barcelona
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter continue working with the new MacBook Air 2012?)
Yes, it will still work with the latest MacBook Air models. There is an option to use the new Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter, but either will work.
- Answered by Eric S from Nampa
- 06 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this adapter continue working with the new MacBook Air 2012?)
Yes, it is always better to use a hardwired connection for video streaming. However, there are many possible reasons for a video stream to freeze/buffer so this may not solve your problem.
- Answered by Dan W from Brooklyn
- 02 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this adapter work better than the wifi connection eliminating or minimizing video streaming freezes?)
Can this be used on a PowerBook G4?
One of the ethernet plug wire connectors (inside the plug-in port) is bent, so the ethernet cable does not connect up correctly (and there is no wireless in the work area). Can this adapter work on my PowerBook G4 so that I can get back my ethernet connection to the network? The description for this item indicates that it works on MacBooks (and MacBook Pros), but does it just require a USB 2.0 port?
- Asked by Jonathan M from Farmington
- 03 10, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used on a PowerBook G4?)
It will work on any Mac OS 10.4.0 Mac and up. There are some drivers on other sites or this site that will give you the drivers for Mac OS 10.3.9 and under. I would suggest upgrading first and research just to be sure. If you have the usb port, then all you need is Mac OS 10.4.0 and up or the driver for Mac OS 10.3.9 and under.
- Answered by Joshua R
- 03 13, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this be used on a PowerBook G4?)
This works under VMWare Fusion, but as it's virtual you don't really need a driver for the virtual OS. So I assume this would be the same for Parallels.
- Answered by Paul B from Coventry
- 10 29, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is there a driver for Windows XP using Parrallels)
Can i use it to transfer data from Powerbook G4 to MacBook Air?
- Asked by Michael E from Cararra
- 03 14, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use it to transfer data from Powerbook G4 to MacBook Air?)
Yes, there is a way to use Ethernet to transfer data between Macs using the Migration Assistant.
- Answered by Phil V from Reston
- 07 30, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i use it to transfer data from Powerbook G4 to MacBook Air?)
so is there a port that you can plug into a SIM to constant internet access anywhere like ipad? or do i need something else, i m getting macbook air.
so is there a port that you can plug into a SIM to constant internet access anywhere like ipad? or do i need something else, i m getting macbook air.Best Answer:
How about using a MiFi unit? Its a stand alone unit that you plug your sim into and it produces it's own WiFi network that you could connect to with you Air.
what is the purpose of the usb ethernet adapter
- Asked by Sheryl J from Farmington Hills
- 06 22, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the purpose of the usb ethernet adapter)
It's made to give the MacBook Air an Ethernet port, because it doesn't have one built in.
- Answered by Derek K from Hanover
- 07 19, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what is the purpose of the usb ethernet adapter)
After seeing this done on youtube, i tried this and was able to connect this apple usb ethernet adaptor via a powered usb hub, to the apple usb camera adapter and finally to my iPad 4. It works. It mean faster internet for the security conscious out there.
It helps to test this set up by pluging the main usb lead from the hub into my 'mac'. Once i saw the IP address, it was a simple matter to unplug that main usb lead from the mac, and place it instead into the ipad's usb adaptor.
I'm told there are other uses for the usb camera adaptor besides importing pictures, midi keyboards etc, but this has to be done via he powered usb hub.
This works with OS 7.1
- Answered by Christopher H
- 10 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Could this be used with an iPad using the USB adapter that's included with the Apple Camera connection kit?)
Does the apple usb ethernet adapter work with iMac 21.5" (late 2009 model) and Lion OS installed?
Asking because I have read quite a few reviews about the adapter not working with Lion OS...
how can I plug into a wired internet connection using my iPad 2?
- Asked by Kimberly C from Mckinney
- 08 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (how can I plug into a wired internet connection using my iPad 2?)
Apple makes a small portable device called a airport express that can turn a wired connection into a wifi connection for iPads.
- Answered by William B from Maryville
- 10 24, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how can I plug into a wired internet connection using my iPad 2?)
Does the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter work on Windows8 64bit ?
- Asked by Mamunur Rashid R from Sharjah
- 09 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter work on Windows8 64bit ?)