Questions & Answers for Apple HDMI-to-HDMI Cable 1.8m
232 Questions from the Community
No, this will definitely NOT work with a VCR.
If you want to send video & audio FROM your MacBook Pro TO your VCR, then you need:
1. For video: An adapter for whatever type of external display port is on your MacBook Pro to composite video. Apple has all the various types covered, but you need to know which type was used on your particular MacBook Pro (they've changed over the years).
2. A composite video cable (RCA phono plugs) OR an S-video cable (if your VCR supports S-video).
3. For audio: An audio cable with a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) headphone TRS jack (aka "stereo mini-jack") for the Mac end (connects into your Mac's headphone port), and dual RCA phono plugs (red & white) for the audio in ports on the VCR.
If you're trying to get video FROM your VCR in TO your Mac, then you'll need some sort of video interface for your Mac, since the MacBook Pro doesn't have any built-in video input capability. See the "Elgato Video Capture" product in the "Video" section of the Apple Store for one such example of this.
- Answered by Kenneth D from Ottawa
- 01 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I use this to connect my VCR to my MacBook Pro? If not what do I need to do that?)
will this work with my MacBook Air?
- Asked by Mario C from Valley Stream
- 11 7, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (will this work with my MacBook Air?)
Yes, using a mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter at the mini DisplayPort. Outputs both video and audio through the mini DisplayPort on the recently released MacBook Air.
- Answered by Heather M from Friendswood
- 11 11, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this work with my MacBook Air?)
what cable do I need to connect my iPad 2 to my MacBook?
- Asked by Alyx K from Lincoln
- 09 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (what cable do I need to connect my iPad 2 to my MacBook?)
- Answered by Jonathan P from Port Washington
- 01 14, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use Apple HDMI cable to connect IPOD to DJ turntables? Thank you very much for your advice in advance! BU.)
Do you need this cable for Apple TV to work?
- Asked by Lauren B from Aurora
- 06 19, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you need this cable for Apple TV to work?)
This plugs in to the back of your t.v and apple t.v
- Answered by Henry V from Brisbane
- 07 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do you need this cable for Apple TV to work?)
I have iphone 5. Is hdmi or hdtv. Or audio . Video are right cables to connect my iphone 5. To tv How i can connect iPhone 5 to tv 3 colour pins
- Asked by Harbant A from Adelaide
- 02 5, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I have iphone 5. Is hdmi or hdtv. Or audio . Video are right cables to connect my iphone 5. To tv How i can connect iPhone 5 to tv 3 colour pins)
No answers yet
The 27" iMac has a Mini-Display port, not HDMI. It can accept input from other devices with Mini-Display port (MacBook, MacMini, another iMac) with a Mini-Display Port cable but not from HDMI directly without a converter box to turn HDMI a signal compatible with the MDP
- Answered by Jason B from San Francisco
- 12 4, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Work with iMac?)
This cable works with 3D TVs?
- Asked by Luciano M from Vila Velha
- 10 26, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (This cable works with 3D TVs?)
Yes. This has HDMI 1.4 which is required for 3DTV.
- Answered by Ryan G from Abbotsford
- 11 11, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (This cable works with 3D TVs?)
Yes. Any HDMI cable that supports 1080p is considered 'high speed'.
High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color.
- Answered by James H from Gold Coast
- 07 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is this cable highspeed?)
What gauge is the apple TV HDMI cable is it AWG24 or bigger?
- Asked by Timothy P from Nelson
- 06 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (What gauge is the apple TV HDMI cable is it AWG24 or bigger?)
can I simply use an full hd tv as my monitor just using the hdmi port? Or do I need also to buy: Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support?
- Asked by Cleyde G from Belo Horizonte
- 09 28, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can I simply use an full hd tv as my monitor just using the hdmi port? Or do I need also to buy: Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support?)
Hdmi to hdmi cable transmits both audio as well as video output. If you are using iphone 4S you need to get a digital av adapter for $20.
Is this the correct cable for a Mac Book Pro 5,5 to be connected to an LCD TV and will it provide both audio and visual output to the TV?
No, the iPod touch/iPhone and iPad only support viewing videos on an external display using the Apple Component AV Cable or Apple Composite AV Cable
- Answered by Lachlan W from Narre Warren N.
- 02 5, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I can browsing my files and internet on my iphone and watch there on tv by this cable)
How can I connect a year-old MBP to my Plasma TV and get the picture AND sound on the TV? The TV does not have any HDMI ports.
I have tried so many kits from Radio Shack and the Apple Store. I do not think my MBP can take an HDMI cable so I do not understand how this Apple HDMI to HDMI Cable works for some people. I know my plasma TV does not have any HDMI outlets which surprised me Could I have missed them? I highly doubt it but I thought all the HD LCD/Plasma TVs had HDMI outlets. I was thinking then I need the old fashioned red-white-yellow-black cables that used to come with old stereos. I would be so grateful if someone could help me. I was able to get an adapter kind of cable and that worked for the picture but there was no sound coming out the TV. Any ideas? Any Apple article that helps? With the questions posted here, it sounds so easy, but how do they get the HDMI cable to hook into their MBP? I have another 1.5 year-old MBP and I did not see any port that would take an HDMI cable.
- Asked by Kent T from Salt Lake City
- 12 11, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I connect a year-old MBP to my Plasma TV and get the picture AND sound on the TV? The TV does not have any HDMI ports.)
All MacBook's have something on them called a Mini Display Port, which is the port that allows you to send video out of you MBP to a TV or a display. You have to get an adapter that allows you to get from a Mini DP, to a more universal video cable to connect to an external video source. Assuming your TV had an HDMI port on it, you would be able to connect your MacBook Pro to your TV with the Mini DP to HDMI adapter. Depending on which model MBP you have, it may or may not support audio as well. However, since you do not have a HDMI port available on your TV, you might need to get a different adapter to connect it to your TV. If you have a VGA or DVI port on the back of your TV, then you can get a Mini DP to VGA or Mini DP to DVI adapter, and use a VGA or DVI cable to connect it to your TV. The only issue with this is that audio is not supported by these cables, and you would need to use the headphone jack on your MBP to send audio out to your TV as well.
- Answered by George S from Granada Hills
- 12 15, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How can I connect a year-old MBP to my Plasma TV and get the picture AND sound on the TV? The TV does not have any HDMI ports.)
What is the weight/mass of this cable in grams? (Without the packaging).
- Asked by Dennis B from Toronto
- 08 28, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the weight/mass of this cable in grams? (Without the packaging).)
Last time I checked, this required a converter that on its input side plugs into the video out jack on the macbook AND the 1/8 inch audio out jack on the macbook, and on its output side has an HDMI jack. Then an HDMI cable like this one takes it from there.
At the time, Apple did not make such a converter, but somebody else did, and my local Apple store carried it.
I have not tried this technology yet, but I have done macbook to VGA input on a TV, and that worked fine (given the appropriate converter).
- Answered by Carolyn Z from Denver
- 12 3, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this cable work with a regular 13 inch Macbook? (not a Macbook Pro)? If not, is there a cable that will work?)
Please tell me, if apple digital av adapter and apple hdmi to hdmi cable 1.8 m is alone enough to mirror iphone 4S on LCD Tv.
Accessories required to mirror iphone 4s on LCD TV via only cables without apple TVBest Answer:
It alone works exceptionally very well.Apple products are beyond genious engineering.