Questions & Answers for Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter
257 Questions from the Community
Will the 30 pin adapter work with iphone 4s ios 9.3.4??
- Asked by Paul Anthony D from Obando
- 08 5, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the 30 pin adapter work with iphone 4s ios 9.3.4??)
Is it possible to listen to the sound on the iPad with earphones while the video is mirrored on my tv using the 30 Pin Digital AV connector?Answer
I just tried exactly that with the iPad 2 on iOS 9.2.1 with Philips over-ear headphones and it worked very well.
Hope this helps.
What is a dongle?
I see people asking if they could use a "dongle" with an iPad or iPad 2 WiFi (which I have). I did not understand the conversations, but I would like to know what is a dongle and if it might be of interest for me for my iPad 2.
- Asked by Judy R from Bronx
- 08 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What is a dongle?)
A dongle is used to access wifi anywhere.
- Answered by Margaret P
- 11 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is a dongle?)
Can i acces audio files from a flash drive to my generation 2 ipad with the 30 pin digital AV adapter?
I have recorded music stored on flash drives that I would like to listen to through my ipad and subsequently through a Bluetooth remote speaker.
Looking for the appropriate accessories to facilitate this.
- Asked by Dug M from Medicine Hat
- 09 3, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i acces audio files from a flash drive to my generation 2 ipad with the 30 pin digital AV adapter?)
This is made for this iPhone. Your iPhone has a 30pin dock connector still, no matter what firmware
- Answered by Jamie B
- 03 28, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this product work for my iPhone 4 operating with iOS 7.0.6?)
Does direct tv app work either AV cable
- Asked by Cheryl K from Pasadena
- 08 30, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Does direct tv app work either AV cable)
Does it support charging to iPad/iPhone with Power from HDMI while playing movie? If yes, it will be very good for long playing movie.Best Answer:
It will charge your iPad/iPhone, but not through the HDMI cable. A second 30-pin socket (like the one on the bottom of the iPad) is provided on the adapter which is where you would plug your charging cord in to.
What are the supported audio out formats?
If an iTunes movie is purchased with Dolby 5.1, could this be used to play Dolby 5.1 through a HDMI receiver
Dolby 5.1,DTS-MA, Dolby TruHD or stereo, etc?
- Asked by Robert B from Cincinnati
- 03 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the supported audio out formats?)
I was delighted to find it output LPCM 5.1, as I only have 5.1 implemented - I can see no reason why 7.1 will not work as well.
LPCM IS THE Purest Lossless format!
It's how I play All the latest codecs. SOUNDS FANTASTIC FOR AN iPhone!
- Answered by Peter L
- 12 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What are the supported audio out formats?)
can I connect my IPAD to my TV
I want to watch NETFLIX on my tv throught my Ipad2
- Asked by Gerrilyn S from Kailua
- 07 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can I connect my IPAD to my TV)
Yes, you need an iPad audio/video cable.
- Answered by Dan T from North Las Vegas
- 07 24, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I connect my IPAD to my TV)
Will the 30 pin adapter work with iPad 2 running iOS 9
- Asked by Sara K from Kinston
- 02 6, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the 30 pin adapter work with iPad 2 running iOS 9)
Yes, it works with my iPad 2 with iOS 9.2.1.
- Answered by Leonardo A
- 02 6, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will the 30 pin adapter work with iPad 2 running iOS 9)
How long is the Warranty Period for this HDMI Adapter?
- Asked by William H from Orlando
- 06 27, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (How long is the Warranty Period for this HDMI Adapter?)
- Answered by Bill J from Shelby Township
- 09 25, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How long is the Warranty Period for this HDMI Adapter?)
What is the difference between composite cable, VGA adapter and Apple Digital AV Adapter? I just want to display movies eg in iTunes on my iPad via TV
I am not sure of the difference between all these cables - I just want to show a movie I have bought eg on iTunes and downloaded to my iPad 1 on my quite ordinary TV. I have a composite cable and it works in conjunction with the cable supplied with the TV. But I see there is also a VGA slot on the TV so I wonder if the VGA adaptor would work ok in the same way - and then I also see there is the Apple digital AV adapter. What does that do? Would it achieve the same purpose? It certainly looks more portable!Best Answer:
This adaptor will support higher resolution video. It also supports HDCP. The other adaptors do not and some copy protected video content will not play on external screens or TV's if HDCP is not supported.
If your TV has HDMI, you should definitely get the Digital AV Adaptor.
- Answered by Taylor L from San Francisco
- 03 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the difference between composite cable, VGA adapter and Apple Digital AV Adapter? I just want to display movies eg in iTunes on my iPad via TV)
No, the lightning to 30-pin adapter only supports charging and audio, but not video. I'm sorry to say that you will need to purchase Apple's overpriced lightning digital av adapter for $49. You can find it at most stores. I would consider looking into an Apple TV. It is $99 and you can wirelessly stream video and audio from any apple device. You can find it in most stores.
- Answered by Evan S from Shelby Township
- 02 1, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use Lightning to 30‑pin Adapter on the Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter to connect my iPad mini ?)
No because the ipad air has a lightning connector port so you need to get the lightning av adapter.
- Answered by Cameron F
- 12 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does apple 30-pin digital av adapter work with iPad air?)
Does this work with sling box
Can I connect via this adapter and use the sling box app on the iPad to view it on the tv
- Asked by Ross P
- 01 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with sling box)
- Answered by Patrick W from Brentwood
- 07 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this work with sling box)
Best guess no the hdmi socket on your freeview box is for a output to a tv not a input from a device
- Answered by Glen C from Stanley
- 06 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will it work through my HDMI sock on my freeview box as my t.v is old and only has scart lead connections)
What exactly does this do and not do?
In the description it says that this adapter:
"mirrors whatever’s on your iPad or iPhone 4S screen".
Then a little further down it states that you can:
"Watch slideshows and films on the big screen in up to 720p by connecting your iPad, iPhone 4 or iPod touch (4th generation)."
But then over to the side there is a footnote that states:
"* Video mirroring is available with iPad 2 or later and iPhone 4S."
So what is the difference?
Also it states:
"The Apple Digital AV Adapter routes digital audio to screens that support it."
How do I know if my screen supports it?
I have an iPhone 4 and have ordered a "New" iPad. So I would like a few more specifics so that I know what I can expect it to do for each.
- Asked by Juanita L from Cape Coral
- 03 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What exactly does this do and not do?)
This adapter exports audio/video through HDMI.
For the iPhone 4S, the iPad 2 and the "new" iPad, virtually everything can be mirrored to another display. This means it will display exactly what you see on both the iPad/iPhone and the monitor.
For the iPhone 4 and the 1st generation iPad, it will not mirror the screen (the processor isn't equipped for multiple display outputs.)
All of these devices will allow you to watch videos/pictures/slideshows on your tv using the adapter.
If the display device you are hooking it up to accepts audio through hdmi, then the audio will also be sent. Some older stereo receivers only pass through video (especially older Onkyo receivers) via hdmi.
- Answered by William B from Babylon
- 04 5, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What exactly does this do and not do?)
Is this a new HDMI AV Adapter ?
Previously I have also purchased a HDMI AV Adapter from Apple. Is there any difference ?
- Asked by Goh C from Middletown
- 03 9, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this a new HDMI AV Adapter ?)
Using one HDMI adapter that I think is the old version, I get the message ("This accessory is not supported") on a Verizon gen 3 iPad, but not an AT&T gen 3 iPad.
Using a newer HDMI adapter (on this one you have to pinch it to unlock), I don't get the message on either iPad.
Both iPads are updated to 5.1.1.
- Answered by Michael P from Palo Alto
- 05 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this a new HDMI AV Adapter ?)
Is it possible to watch live tv via the digital av adapter connected to my television with the hdmi cable?.
I have connected my Iphone4 to my television with the apple AV adapter and a HDMI cable and want to watch live TV from my Film on App?. I can play videos from my Iphone without a problem but when I try to watch live TV from Film on I get the sound but no Picture.Best Answer:
This is up to the app developers if they include or exclude video out on their app. Try an alternative, I personally use the TVCatchUp app which does allow for TV Out.
Hope this helps.
- Answered by Marc W from Borehamwood
- 10 15, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it possible to watch live tv via the digital av adapter connected to my television with the hdmi cable?.)