Questions & Answers for Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro with Retina display)
57 Questions + 97 Answers
57 Questions from the Community
Is a MacBook Pro 2012 (Silver) 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter compatible to a MacBook 1,1 (2006) (White) computer?
I have a MacBook (2006), the Power Adapter cord from the base in fried. I have being using the Power Adapter from my MacBook Pro to recharge the battery for the MacBook. Is this safe? Will there be damage to the MackBook or the Macbook Pro; long term? Will this effect the use of the MagSafe Adapter that is being used between two different computers?
- Asked by Disraeli E from North Hollywood
- 08 14, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is a MacBook Pro 2012 (Silver) 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter compatible to a MacBook 1,1 (2006) (White) computer?)
Is it possible to pre-order a 220 Volt Magsafe 2 in one of your Apple Stores together with the new Macbook Pro?
I'm traveling to USA, from Sweden, and I'm wondering if it's possible to pre-order a 220 Volt Magsafe 2 in one of your Apple Stores together with the new Macbook Pro?
- Asked by Johnie H from Sigtuna
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to pre-order a 220 Volt Magsafe 2 in one of your Apple Stores together with the new Macbook Pro?)
So far, every MagSafe Power Adapter has been able to automatically handle 100V-240V. I would assume that this one is the same. That said, you should always check the adapter's input voltage information (which is usually printed on the power adapter itself or on the accompanying documentation) before plugging it in to any power source.
- Answered by Jarrett A from Vancouver
- 06 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it possible to pre-order a 220 Volt Magsafe 2 in one of your Apple Stores together with the new Macbook Pro?)
Is it o.k. to swap a.c plugs (duckheads), from one adapter to another?
I have a 85w megasafe2 adapter and a magasafe 60w adapter, and I am not sure if the a.c. plug I am using is from my 60w, or my 85w adapter, and I am using the plug on my 85w adapter.
- Asked by Michael A from Novato
- 08 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it o.k. to swap a.c plugs (duckheads), from one adapter to another?)
Yes. Looking at mine the print says 100-240V 50-60Hz.
- Answered by Michael Z from Fresh Meadows
- 05 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the adapter that comes with the American macbook pros work with 220/230 volt and 60Hz currents?)
No a 85W MagSafe 2 power adaptor is not compatible with a 15" Macbook Pro Late 2008, only a 85W MagSafe 1 Power adaptor. If you're looking for a 85W MagSafe power adaptor go to the apple store or apple.com. MagSafe 1 and 2 power adaptors are 2 different sizes.
Source: Mac Tracker App from the app store.
- Answered by Tyson H
- 06 24, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Hi, I'd like to know if this is compatible with a 15'' Macbook Pro Late 2008? Thank you)
No, it can not
This charger is to charge charge the macbook pro with retina display, the iPhone requires a 32 pin connector (gen 1-4S) et the new adapter for gen 5. Those chargers are not compatible at all.
I suppose you are bringing a computer since you talk about two charger, I therefore recommend charging the iPhone in the computer (with the usb cable) while the computer is charging if you want to bring less chargers.
Also, I am pretty sure there are travel kits sold on this website. You may want to check them especially if you are travelling in Europe since they don't have the same wall plugs as here in America. But even those travels kits would have a different connector for the iPhone et the mac.
- Answered by Gabriel P from Pierrefond
- 09 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this charger be used to recharge an iPhone 4s. I am travelling and do not want to bring two chargers)
What is the WARRENTY for the replacements AC Power Cord for the Apple MC556LL/B 85w MagSafe Power Adapter for the Mac Book Pro for 15-17" screen?
Question has sufficient details of product.
No answers yet
Will this work with MBP 1,1?
I have a MBP 15" (Model 1,1). I have a power adapter / cord which looks similar to this (MagSafe2) adaptor; My system Prefs/Tech specs mention it as 85W. Have seen other responses that this is not compatible with older MBP models - so getting confused if this is what I should buy... Can anybody confirm?
- Asked by Chandrasekar R from Chennai
- 09 10, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with MBP 1,1?)
No it will not. MagSafe 2 is skinnier than MagSafe and will not fit your machine.
- Answered by Larry W from Clay Center
- 05 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work with MBP 1,1?)
WHich is the best for an extra charger for Mac pro retina display 13 inches: the new 80w or the old 60w with an adapter?
Will the new Magsafe2 charger 60w for Mac pro retina display 13" be available?
- Asked by Chutaphant P from Bangkok
- 11 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (WHich is the best for an extra charger for Mac pro retina display 13 inches: the new 80w or the old 60w with an adapter?)
Old Mac will work with MagSafe 2 ???
My old macBook Pro 15 " Power Supply does not charge the battery but the LED is green and computer works when plugged in electric outlet.
Tested 2 different batteries and the result is the same!
Please advise which Adapter I do have to get
- Asked by Oswaldo N from Colleyville
- 06 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Old Mac will work with MagSafe 2 ???)
No, this is only for the newer MBP. The connector is different. You need to get the original MagSafe charger (Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter (for 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro)).
- Answered by Dj P from Duvall
- 06 25, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Old Mac will work with MagSafe 2 ???)
It should work the same. The charger doesn't "force" current into the computer, the computer draws what it needs from the charger. The MBA will only draw 45W max so the 85w charger will easily provide the needed current. The problem happens when you try and use the 45w charger with the 85w computer. It will try to draw more current than the charger will deliver and that can cause problems.
- Answered by Mitchell P from Carson City
- 01 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will the 85w magsafe 2 charger works better than 45w magsafe 2 for macbook air?)
What colors does it come in
- Asked by Arthur M from New York
- 10 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What colors does it come in)
White, of course.
- Answered by Jennifer C from Shipman
- 10 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What colors does it come in)