Questions & Answers for Lightning Digital AV Adapter
283 Questions from the Community
Do is transport sound and video?
iPod mini video connector...
- Asked by Benjamin G from Minneapolis
- 11 9, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Do is transport sound and video?)
Yes. HDMI will pass both video and sound to your TV.
- Answered by Shai Z from Hoboken
- 12 27, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do is transport sound and video?)
Are all HDMI slots on a TV the same size? My firiend said I needed to check which version this is before ordering it or it might now worlk.Answer
Yes, all TV HDMI ports are standard HDMI interfaces which use a standard HDMI cable.
- Answered by Gaven W from Redwood City
- 11 27, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Are all HDMI slots on a TV the same size? My firiend said I needed to check which version this is before ordering it or it might now worlk.)
Will this crazy setup work?
I've planned quite the complicated setup for the iPad Mini in my car for video and audio. First, I plug the Lightning to HDMI Adapter into the iPad.
From the HDMI branch of the adapter:
A1. HDMI cable
A2. HDMI to composite converter (ViewHD)
A3. Composite cable
I'll be using these for video output only – not sound. I'm assuming the display mirroring will work; however, I'm concerned about interfacing the different resolutions of the iPad Mini and the car head unit. Also, would it be a better idea to go with VGA stuff instead of HDMI?
From the Lightning branch of the adapter:
B1. Lightning to 30-pin adapter, 0.2 m
B2. 30-pin car-integrated iPod cable
I'm looking to get audio, charge, and music control from this branch. I get all three currently from just the 30-pin car-integrated iPod cable; I wonder if any of the functions will be lost along the way.
Please let me know if this will all work!
- Asked by Alexander K from Rockville Centre
- 05 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this crazy setup work?)
Lightening digital AV adapter necessary for Mac Book Air?
- Asked by Joan H from London
- 01 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Lightening digital AV adapter necessary for Mac Book Air?)
No, the Mac Book Air does not have a Lightning port. The recent Mac Book Air models use the Thunderbolt port to output to a display - you need the MiniDisplayport to VGA or DVI (depending on the display) adapter. (MiniDisplayport is supported by the Thunderbolt port on any Mac that has Thunderbolt.)
- Answered by Ryan R from Portland
- 03 16, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Lightening digital AV adapter necessary for Mac Book Air?)
do you just plug direct into your tv from your ipad
i am just about to buy the AV adapator to plug my Ipad retina into my HD TV is that all i need to show movies etc
- Asked by Roger S
- 12 10, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (do you just plug direct into your tv from your ipad)
Does it work with an iPhone with IOS 8
I've seen lots of reviews that say it doesn't work well with IOS 8 but I just wanted to see if it has started to work better with the minor updates to IOS 8 like IOS 8.1.3. If there's anyone who still uses one with an iPhone and has IOS 8 could u plz just tell me how it is, Thx. (Also specifically iPhone 5c)
- Asked by Connor W
- 01 30, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it work with an iPhone with IOS 8)
Yes, it works with IOS 8.1.3.
- Answered by Emad E from Goleta
- 02 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it work with an iPhone with IOS 8)
Can I use the Lightning Digital AV Adapter to connect my iPad mini to a big-screen TV and watch iPlayer etc? I saw one comment suggesting I couldn't.
This is the only reason I want to buy the Lightning Digital AV Adapter, and was about to purchase until I saw someone saying you couldn't watch on-demand TV using this cable. That's the first I've heard of this though, so not sure if this is true or not.
I actually subscribe to Eurosport Player which is great on the iPad, but would be good to have the option to watch on a big TV, without going down the AirPlay route.Best Answer:
It is up to the app publisher to include support for video-out. For instance, I had attempted to stream HBO2GO to my AppleTV, only to find out it would pass audio but not video. HBO issued an update for the app just today allowing the video out (for both Airplay and AV ou,t like this product) to work from the app.
- Answered by Mark H from San Antonio
- 02 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the Lightning Digital AV Adapter to connect my iPad mini to a big-screen TV and watch iPlayer etc? I saw one comment suggesting I couldn't.)
iPhone 5 / iPad Retina Display lightning cable , av tv cable hdmi
Hello , i was wonder before i buy an av cable for my iPhone 5 and iPad retina display with lighting connector , will the cable display what i see on my iPad/iPhone5 " Will i see my home screen"?
- Asked by Ryan M
- 12 27, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (iPhone 5 / iPad Retina Display lightning cable , av tv cable hdmi)
Yes, so far everything I have tried is replicated right down to the home screen.
- Answered by Ken C
- 01 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (iPhone 5 / iPad Retina Display lightning cable , av tv cable hdmi)
When used with an iPhone 5, does it stretch the output?
iPhone 5 is at 1136x640, so when connected to an HDTV, does the TV get sent a 640p signal, or a 720p signal where everything is slightly blurry from upscaling? If it sends a 640p signal, then you could decide for yourself with the TV's options whether to upscale or leave the image with a border around it.
- Asked by Darren K from Lexington
- 11 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (When used with an iPhone 5, does it stretch the output?)
Is that a standard HDMI port, or mini HDMI, or micro HDMI?
- Asked by Cliff K from Concord
- 11 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is that a standard HDMI port, or mini HDMI, or micro HDMI?)
Standard HDMI connector. I' very impressed with the quality of components in the HDMI socket. Worth the price, no doubt.
- Answered by Lawrence V
- 11 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is that a standard HDMI port, or mini HDMI, or micro HDMI?)
Does it output the audio also?
HDMI normally carries both audio and video. If you have a movie on your iPhone 5, will this device (with an HDMI cable) output both audio and video to your HDTV?
- Asked by David M from San Francisco
- 10 24, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it output the audio also?)
Yes, HDMI carries both audio and video.
- Answered by Duke B from Playa Vista
- 10 24, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it output the audio also?)
The text for this adapter says both "up to 720p HD" and "up to 1080p". Which is it? (The text for the 30-pin digital adapter does a better job.)
The text for your new Lightning Digital AV Adapter needs a clearer explanation of its resolution limits. The older 30-pin Digital AV Adapter says your iPad is mirrored on an "HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p)." Are the same limitations in effect here?
No You need the lightning sd card connector. Just eke out the sd card from your camera and pop it into the cable. Easy peasy. The cable is £25. Steep but makes things easy.