Questions & Answers for Lightning Digital AV Adapter
283 Questions from the Community
Dolby Digital 5.1 passthru?
Will this adapter pass Dolby Digital to an AV Receiver for 5.1 playback?
- Asked by Matt F from San Francisco
- 11 3, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Dolby Digital 5.1 passthru?)
Yes, if that AV receiver can handle audio over HDMI
- Answered by Peter J
- 03 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Dolby Digital 5.1 passthru?)
The overview states that the adapter "will display in up to 720p on your HDMI-equipment". Then it goes on to say the adapter also displays in 1080p??
"Use the Lightning Digital AV Adapter to mirror whatever’s on your iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation) with Lightning connector — apps, presentations, websites, slideshows, and more — on your HDMI-equipped TV, display, projector, or other compatible display in up to 720p HD. Video mirroring is supported on all compatible devices.
Watch video on the big screen in up to 1080p by connecting your device with Lightning connector to a television, projector, or other HDMI-compatible display. Video out supports up to 1080p for iPad mini, iPad with Retina display, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation)."Best Answer:
At the time this question was asked, the iPad or iPhone could only manage a lower resolution for mirrored displays than it could for video playback (which is hardware accelerated)
This has changed recently to claim 1080p output for mirrored displays as well (although this is probably upscaled internally from a lower resolution display mode)
Can I use this to mirror an iPad 2 to a relatively new 21 inch iMac (i.e. with a lightning connector)? If so what other hardware would be required?
No answers yet
No, this is strictly an "output" cable. Plug in this cable and you can now watch that game or movie from your Ipad of Iphone on a bigger screen.
- Answered by Michael D from Muncy
- 08 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to tether video with my Nikon D800 to my mini Ipad 3rd generation or Iphone 6+?)
What apps are not supporting video out thru this cable?
I want to you this cable to watch video on tv from you tube, IPLA , or other apss. Please list all aps not supporting video out.
- Asked by Remigiusz G from Raleigh
- 01 29, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What apps are not supporting video out thru this cable?)
Does lightning digital av adapter work with ipad air on ios 7.1
I have a ipad air on 7.1 does this work for apps that support tv out?
- Asked by Hannah H
- 04 1, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does lightning digital av adapter work with ipad air on ios 7.1)
What color format does it output through HDMI?
I already have this adapter and it could display my iPad mini 2 screen on an HDMI monitor.
However, when I tried to hook it up with Blackmagic UltraStudio mini recorder, the mini recorder didn't get any video.
It looks to me that the mini recorder only supports YUV color format.
Someone in BlackMagic's forum told me that this adapter may output only in RGB format.
(I don't use any copy-protected video)
So, can someone please confirm what color format it outputs through its HDMI port?
- Asked by Jongam P from Emeryville
- 09 16, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (What color format does it output through HDMI?)
Can I use the lightning port on this device to connect another adapter? I want to use this for HDMI and also add a lightning to MIDI adapter.
I am using my iPad to display lyrics, but want to mirror it using this adapter onto a screen. I also want my iPad to receive MIDI so I want to add that adapter. So I'm hoping I can use this adapter to not only output HDMI, but also allow use of another adapter to input a MIDI signal.
Reset your device... Just sent a previous answer that many are reporting iPhone 5/5s that updates to iOS 8.2 pops up a dialog that it's downloading updated firmware (which it does not really do) and the AV adapter won't work.
Several of us have resolved the issue by backing up the iPhone, then "reset iPhone" and then restored the backup to get data and settings back and that seems to solve the issue and no more dialogs about firmware downloading -adapter just works as it used to prior to iOS 8.2...
Apple Support KnowledgeBase article HT201252 describes detailed steps how to use iTunes to reset the iPhone.
This was such a relief to know that it was not the adapter and not having to wait until an iOS 8.3 update.
- Answered by Wayne W from Wailuku
- 03 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how do you accessory firmware update for Lightning Digital AV Adapter on OS8.2)
what's the "difference's?.. between a digital AV adapter & a digital AV lightening adapter. I have an iPad Air and want to watch programs etc. via tvAnswer
I assume you are referring to the 30-PIN Digital AV Adapter vs Lightning Digital AV adapter. The first one uses the old 30-PIN connector while the latter uses the new lightning connector. Check whether your device uses lightning or 30-PIN connector.
- Answered by Philgin E from Burbank
- 03 22, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what's the "difference's?.. between a digital AV adapter & a digital AV lightening adapter. I have an iPad Air and want to watch programs etc. via tv)
Digital a/v cable compatible with car stereo video?
I have an iphone 5 and the current cable adapters does not support video when plugged into my double din car stereo for navigation; does this A/V adapter work?
- Asked by Alfredo A from Concord
- 11 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Digital a/v cable compatible with car stereo video?)
You will need this plug plus an HDMI to Composite converter... then you should have no problem.. I did it in all my cars. There is a mini one you can buy and hide behind your dash leaving just the HDMI exposed.
- Answered by Scott G from Hollywood
- 11 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Digital a/v cable compatible with car stereo video?)
Can I hook to a projector and watch iTunes movie rentals with this?
I want to connect my first generation iPad mini to a portable projector and watch standard definition iTunes rental movies offline. I know that using a vga cord will not work but does this adaptor meet the hdcp requirements or will I get the same error message? Thanks!
- Asked by Katie A from Rochester
- 07 13, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I hook to a projector and watch iTunes movie rentals with this?)
Does this adapter work with MHL compatible TVs? Also does the power pass through of those TVs work directly through it?
- Asked by James M from Naperville
- 08 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter work with MHL compatible TVs? Also does the power pass through of those TVs work directly through it?)
What is the smaller port to the right of the HDMI port?
- Asked by Deborah A from Belmont
- 10 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the smaller port to the right of the HDMI port?)
It's a passthrough for a lightning cable so you can charge your phone while also using this adapter.
- Answered by Luis A M from Holmdel
- 10 28, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the smaller port to the right of the HDMI port?)
Can I connect to Home Theatre system
Connectin iPhone 6 Plus to LG home theatre systems
- Asked by Paul Deepak E
- 01 1, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect to Home Theatre system)