Questions & Answers for Apple 12W USB Power Adapter
185 Questions from the Community
does this charger work in bali
- Asked by Andrew F from Melbourne
- 08 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (does this charger work in bali)
I am from Indonesia. YES u can use it here. U may need an adapter because we use 2rounded pin.
- Answered by Hendra T
- 08 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does this charger work in bali)
How do I use it in the car
How do I charge my iPad in the car using the apple 12w adapter
- Asked by Neil M
- 08 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I use it in the car)
Actually it's not that complicated if you did want to use it in your car. Just get a power inverter. They plug into your cigarette lighter outlet and convert the 12V DC to 120V AC. They're quite common and work great.
- Answered by David P from Reno
- 09 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I use it in the car)
My charger stopped working. Was it because when plugged into an extension cord it always felt hot? Is an extension cord compatible with this charger
When using an extension cord, the charger would get very warm.Best Answer:
The (over) heating of your charger when on a extension cord may be caused by thermal insulation from the surface that the charger is resting on or under during operation. If it is resting on a hard, cool surface, the charger can dissipate heat into moving air (convection) and into the cool surface (conduction) at about the same rate as the charger produces it, and it doesn't overheat.
If the charger/adapter is plugged into a strip or wall outlet, it will have maximum surface area in air and can cool by air moving past (convection).
A problem can arise if, because of the location the charger/adapter that extension cord will allow, the charger is resting on a thick carpet or an upholstered surface or bed, or worst of all, covered under a pillow, blanket, or other fabric. Now, convective or conductive heat loss (or both) will be reduced and the charger can get very hot reducing its useful life, and if completely insulated, risking a fire.
The extension cord rated for the input of the charger isn't the problem, but the extension allowing improper location of the charger itself, is.
does this adapter come with a longer cord?
- Asked by Patricia E from Poughkeepsie
- 07 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (does this adapter come with a longer cord?)
I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with a cord
- Answered by Matt F from Tucson
- 06 4, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does this adapter come with a longer cord?)
Does 12 watt power adapter work with the latest ipod classic 160gb ?
- Asked by John M from Espanola
- 05 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does 12 watt power adapter work with the latest ipod classic 160gb ?)
No. I tried it with two of them, and it didn't work. But it worked like a charm with an iPhone 4. That would explain why the Classic models are conspicuously absent from the Compatibility section of the product's page, despite the Product Information section pretending that it can be used to charge "all" iPod models.
- Answered by Michel V from Sainte-julie
- 01 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does 12 watt power adapter work with the latest ipod classic 160gb ?)
will this charger allow me to use my ipad air 2 whilst charging as the charger i use now does not, the touch screen is not responsive whilst charginAnswer
Yes the 12 will allow you to use an iPad Air 2 whilst charging. I do it constantly right before I crash out for the night. I do plug the charger into a surge protector though.
The current and the safest watt for charging the ipad is 2.4A. Which is the 12W adaptor. Be careful of those brand new 3.4A adaptors which gives a bigger watt ratings that could damage your ipad. It may charge your ipad at a much faster rate. But the capacitor that was built in the port may damage resulting in battery explosion.
- Answered by Foxtrot N from Mandaluyong
- 06 20, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What are the different USB power plug watt ratings and which one is the highest?)
The photograph is of a US adaptor, is that what I would be purchasing? I assumed on the Apple UK site that this would have the UK converter.Answer
In the UK the 12W USB Power Adaptor is supplied with a 3 pin 13A plug head. In the US it is supplied with the equivalent US plug head. Conveniently the plug heads are removable. Also there is a Travel Kit of plug heads available for the Power Adaptor that will fit many Countries.
- Answered by James J C from St Saviours
- 08 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (The photograph is of a US adaptor, is that what I would be purchasing? I assumed on the Apple UK site that this would have the UK converter.)
No problem at all. A charger of less than 10W would be inappropriate for your application
- Answered by Frank H from Highbury
- 01 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (The power of mi ipad 2 is 10w, is there any problem of i Get one of 12w?)
No it will not. This charger when used to charge an iPhone it will only draw 5 watts
and that is the same as the included charger with the iPhones.
- Answered by Erik I from Tehachapi
- 01 31, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this charge the iPhone 5 faster than the 5W adapter that came with the phone?)
Can I use this on a us ipad
- Asked by Nadeem H from Huntingdon
- 12 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this on a us ipad)
Yes, you can use it on all iPad models.
- Answered by Ahmad A from Overland Park
- 12 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this on a us ipad)
will 12w adapter work on the apple watch?
It doesn't show in compatibility but its in the apple watch accessories section so bit confused??
- Asked by James K from Mascot
- 04 19, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (will 12w adapter work on the apple watch?)
- Answered by Nathan L from Ogden
- 10 27, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this compatible with the First Generation iPad?)
can i use apple 12w usb power adapter for iphone 5s
- Asked by Yao Wen L from Brooklyn
- 11 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use apple 12w usb power adapter for iphone 5s)
Yes you can. Please refer to the compatibility list in the product description, it states that the 12W USB Power Adapter is compatible with the iPhone 5S. I personally use the 10W adapter to charge my iPhone 5S, but as soon as I pick up the the new iPad Air I will use it to charge the iPhone 5S as well. It will charge your iPhone 5S faster than the 5W adapter iPhone 5S comes with.
- Answered by Peter Z from Castaic
- 11 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use apple 12w usb power adapter for iphone 5s)
Does it comes with a wire?
Does it come with a wire for iPad 1-3, iPod 4?
- Asked by Hui Jia Y
- 12 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it comes with a wire?)
The package is the adapter only, no wire included.
- Answered by Ahmad A from Overland Park
- 12 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it comes with a wire?)
1A at 5V is 5W. And the adapter has a standard USB connector. It should work using your GoPro's USB cable. Of course, there's no guarantee, and Apple is not going to support using their chargers with non-Apple devices.
- Answered by David C from Purcellville
- 12 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to charge a go-pro camera? It requires a USB and 1000mAh.)
Does this come with a 30-pin cable?
I need both an adapter and cable but can't find a 30-pin adapter anywhere.
- Asked by David C from Media
- 01 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this come with a 30-pin cable?)
It does not because I ordered like 5 for work place and did not include cables. Very disappointed! They could easily put a one liner stating cable is not included.
- Answered by Juvy H from Dallas
- 01 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this come with a 30-pin cable?)