Questions & Answers for AirPort Extreme
513 Questions from the Community
At my work I do not have any wi fi for my iPad. Is this product portable? and would it give me the same quality of wifi anywhere i went?
- Asked by Steven C from Milton
- 06 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (At my work I do not have any wi fi for my iPad. Is this product portable? and would it give me the same quality of wifi anywhere i went?)
Wifi access points such as this are not portable. You would need to get an iPad capable of cellular data service or get a portable wifi hotspot from someone like verizon or att. Generally when your talking about wifi its going to be wireless internet stationary in one general area.
- Answered by Patrick N from Summertown
- 06 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (At my work I do not have any wi fi for my iPad. Is this product portable? and would it give me the same quality of wifi anywhere i went?)
I'm not sure for Airport Extreme, but I did that for my Airport TimeCapsule, it can maybe work for you :
1 : Open the Airport Utility on your Mac
2 : Select your You airport Extreme (A window should appear)
3 : Open ES file explorer on your android device
4 : Go to the fast access (swipe from de left side to the right) => select network => Lan
5 : Click "+" (new) at the bottom left
6 : Entre for
- "domain" : Nothing or the name of the network (At the top into the window of airport utility)
- "server" : the IP address
- "Username & password" : the user name and password you use to connect to your hard drive on your Mac
- "Display As" : The name you want it have on your smartphone
7 : Click OK and wait.
8 : Click on your Hard drive
And it's done, please tell me if it has worked.
(I don't know what anonymous does but I didn't click on it, I don't recommend you to do it)
- Answered by Maxime A from Wandre
- 02 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i access external hard drive connected to airport extreme on my android phone using es file explorer)
What type of encryption does it support?
- Asked by Polly H from Millbury
- 07 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What type of encryption does it support?)
How is the Airport Extreme more secure than other routers?
I have a neighbor who is a determined wi-fi hacker who has been able to hack into my network no matter how difficult the passwords. Can I turn down the power on the extreme so his signal is weak? What features on this unit will help me thwart his efforts? I've already turned off WPS on my current router, UPnP and all that other stuff. I know MAC filtering is useless as is hiding the SSID. What can I do to make the router secure?
- Asked by Karen E from Santa Rosa
- 06 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (How is the Airport Extreme more secure than other routers?)
Use Wpa2 a and long passcode, if he still gets in he is getting the access information from something. Most likely, one of your machines is compromised - he has access to I it - and that's how he keeps getting in.
- Answered by Scott F from Ossining
- 08 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How is the Airport Extreme more secure than other routers?)
Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.
The reason MAC address cloning is important to me is because Comcast never changes the MAC address they have on file (even though they say they do), so if your new router has a different value you can't access the Internet on it. Has this changed with this model?
- Asked by Brian L from South San Francisco
- 09 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.)
There is no mac address cloning for this device like the other routers but as long the settings for this network is off bridge and set to dhcp and will work fine this will act like a switch using the same assign ip range from ur cable modem.
- Answered by Graciano A from Artesia
- 12 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.)
Does the new Extreme support VPN/PPTP? Does it support DDNS?
- Asked by Matthew L from Baltimore
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new Extreme support VPN/PPTP? Does it support DDNS?)
If I have a windows laptop, do I have to/ can I set the airport extreme 2013 up with my ipad? Or will Airport utility be available for Windows 7?
I have a Windows 7 laptop, and my current router, a Linksys WRT110, isn't cutting it. It constantly drops signals/ crashes, and I will need my own router (the linksys is my parents') when I move out. I am trying to decide between this, and the new Asus router, but I heard that Airport utility 6.0 and later aren't compatible with Windows.
Is it going to be compatible in the future?
Can I use Utility 5.6.1 with the 2013 Airport extreme?
Can I setup the airport extreme with the Utility app on my iPad?Best Answer:
You can of course use the Airport Extreme as a normal WiFi router but other have mentioned that Apple support confirmed that you cannot currently configure the Airport Extreme using Windows. Nor can you using Airport Utility 5.6.1 on a Mac for that matter since it requires Airport Utility 6.3 or higher.
You can however use your iPad so long as it is running iOS 6.0 or higher using the Airport Utility app.
Can I print from an iPhone and iPad to a non-airprint-compatible USB printer which will be plugged into the USB port of the latest Airport Express?Answer
Non-airprint printers might work but only via 3rd party IOS (and/or Macintosh) apps - not via Apple's IOS interface. For the cost of the Airport Express you could almost buy a new printer which is AirPrint enabled.
how do i set up Airport Extreme to achieve maximum range in my house?
Airport Extreme router
- Asked by Ronald L from Abbotsford
- 06 13, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i set up Airport Extreme to achieve maximum range in my house?)
Which apple devices currently support wireless ac?
- Asked by Richard G from Lawrenceville
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Which apple devices currently support wireless ac?)
As of right now, only the new 2013 MacBook Air support 802.11ac WiFi networking.
- Answered by Kurtis F from Victorville
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Which apple devices currently support wireless ac?)
Can usb speakers be connected to this device?
- Asked by Jack D from Waianae
- 06 14, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can usb speakers be connected to this device?)
How do I set up Airport Extreme as BOTH a Switch AND Wireless Access Point?
My Comcast Modem is a Motorola SBG6580 which is a combination modem/router. I have a password protected LAN connecting both wired and wireless devices. In my office I want to install an Airport Extreme connected to the Motorola with a CAT 6 cable, and then cable-connect my iMAC to the Airport Extreme, AND use the Wireless capability of the Apple Extreme to connect iPhone and IPad.
The Apple Extreme would function as a switch for the connecting the iMAC to the LAN, and as an Access Point for the wireless devices. Can this be done? How do I navigate the setup choices?
- Asked by William H H from San Francisco
- 11 7, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I set up Airport Extreme as BOTH a Switch AND Wireless Access Point?)
My Sky Broadband router is in a different room to 3 ethernet devices that I want to connect. How can I do this without linking directly to the router?
I'm considering buying the Airport Extreme but will this enable me to connect multiple ethernet devices to the internet without having to link it directly via the WAN port?
Can you connect a printer to the airport extreme to allow air printing/wireless printing from other devices such as a macbook or mobile device?
I have an all-in-one printer from HP that currently does not have wireless capabilities such as air printing. I would like to know if the air port extreme could somehow be connected and allow such a thing.
- Asked by George G from Los Angeles
- 12 28, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you connect a printer to the airport extreme to allow air printing/wireless printing from other devices such as a macbook or mobile device?)