To use a keyboard shortcut to enter a cell reference, place the insertion point in the Formula Editor or formula bar.
To define your own format for numbers in table cells:
- Select one or more cells.
- Choose Custom from the Cell Formats pop-up menu in the format bar.
- From the Type pop-up menu, choose Number & Text.
- Define your number format by dragging the blue elements into the format field above the box.
- For instance, to create the number format in the example, drag the Scale element to the format field. Click the disclosure triangle on the element and choose Millions (M).
- In the Name field, type a name for your number format. Custom format names are listed in the Cell Formats pop-up menu in the format bar.
- Click OK to save your number format and apply it to the selected cells.
You can also define other types of number formats, including those for currency, decimals, and more. To learn more, see “Creating a Custom Number Format” in Numbers Help.