However you use your iBook G4 surfing the Internet, playing games, reading email, browsing your iPhoto library or editing movies on the go youre bound to appreciate its speed, responsiveness and durability.
The Speed of Life
The iBooks PowerPC G4 processor works hand in hand with Mac OS X to give you a one-two performance punch. Mac OS X features preemptive multitasking that allocates processor cycles on an as-needed basis and protected memory that keeps you up and running even if an application happens to crash. Enhancing the performance of the PowerPC G4 is its aptly named Velocity Engine. The Velocity Engine processes data in huge 128-bit chunks, instead of the smaller 32-bit or 64-bit chunks, and can perform complex calculations two to four times faster than run-of-the-mill PCs.
No Need to Walk Softly
For a laptop, the inside of a backpack presents a jarring environment filled with shifts, bounces and the occasional bump. Thats why Apple engineers designed the iBook G4 from inside out to stand up to the rigors of your strenuous life. Made from ultratough polycarbonate plastic the same high-grade material used in bulletproof glass the iBooks sleek white case resists impact. And inside, a sturdy magnesium frame provides superior strength, while reducing the weight of the iBook G4 to well below that of other full-featured PC notebooks.(1) Rubber mounted and equipped with Sudden Motion Sensor technology that helps protect your data in the event of a drop or fall, the iBooks hard disk drive lets you store all of your digital goodies and still enjoy peace of mind. Whats more, the iBook has no I/O doors or protruding elements and no optical drive tray, either to break or snap off when tucked into a backpack or briefcase.
|Configurations||12-inch Combo Drive||14-inch SuperDrive|
|Processor||1.33GHz PowerPC G4||1.42GHz PowerPC G4|
|Level 2 Cache||512K at 1.33GHz||512K at 1.42GHz|
|Memory (DDR SDRAM)||512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM; supports up to 1.5GB; 1 available expansion slot|
|Hard drive (2)||40GB ATA/100 4200 rpm||60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm|
|Optical drive||Slot-Load Combo Drive DVD-ROM/CD-RW||Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW|
|Display||12.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA||14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA|
|Graphics support||ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 with 32MB of dedicated DDR SDRAM|
|FireWire||One FireWire 400 port at up to 400 Mbps|
|USB||Two USB 2.0 ports at up to 480 Mbps each|
|VGA, S-video and composite video output||Video mirroring supports VGA video out to an external display or projector (requires included Apple VGA Video Adapter) and S-video and composite video out to a TV or VCR (requires optional Apple Video Adapter, sold separately).|
|Modem (3)||Built-in 56K V.92 modem|
|Ethernet||Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet|
|Wireless(4)||Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme (Wi-Fi 802.11g); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR|
|System software||Mac OS X version 10.4 Tiger|
|Software||iLife ’06 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD(5), GarageBand), Mail, Dashboard, Spotlight, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, QuickTime, iSync, iCal, DVD Player, Address Book, AppleWorks, iWork (30-day trial), Classic environment, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Zinio Reader, XCode Developer Tools and Apple Hardware Test|
|Service and support||90 days of free telephone support and one-year limited warranty. Product contains documentation. Backup copy of software is provided on CD-ROM.|
|Hardware accessories||Apple VGA Display Adapter, modem cable, power adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-ion battery|
|Build-to-Order Options||Order a custom-configured iBook from the online Apple Store or an authorised Apple reseller.|
256MB (768MB total), 512MB (1GB total), 1GB (1.5GB total)
|Hard Drive (2)||
60GB, 80GB or 100GB ATA-100 4200RPM
|Adapters and cables|
|Battery and power|
Processor and memory
- 1.33GHz or 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine and 512K on-chip level 2 cache
- 133MHz or 142MHz system bus
- 512MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM with support for up to 1.5GB
- 40GB or 60GB Ultra ATA hard disk drive (2)
- One of the following optical drives:
- Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW); writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed, reads DVD-ROM discs at up to 8x speed, reads CD-ROM discs at up to 24x speed
- 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW); writes DVD±R discs at up to 8x speed, writes DVD±RW discs at up to 4x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed.
- Support for external FireWire and USB storage devices
- Choice of built-in 12.1-inch or 14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA active-matrix display
- Support for millions of colours at 1024 x 768 pixel resolution
- Support for resolution scaling to 800 x 600 pixel and 640 x 480 pixel resolution with millions of colours
- ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 graphics processor with 32MB of dedicated video memory and AGP 4X support
- Built-in 56K V.92 modem (RJ-11 connector) (3)
- Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
- Built-in 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme (compliant with 802.11g standard; Wi-Fi Certified for 802.11g and 802.11b interoperability) (4)
- Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
- Two 480 Mbps USB 2.0 ports
- One FireWire 400 port at up to 400 Mbps(6)
- 16-bit CD-quality stereo headphone jack
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Built-in omnidirectional microphone
- Support for external USB audio devices such as microphones and speakers
- VGA video output for video mirroring on an external display or projector (24-bit color) with included Apple VGA Display Adapter.
- S-video and composite video output to TV or projector (requires Apple Video Adapter, sold separately)
- iBook G4 with 12.1-inch display: 50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery provides up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge(7)
- iBook G4 with 14.1-inch display: 61-watt-hour lithium-ion battery provides up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge(7)
- Integrated charge indicator LEDs on battery
Keyboard and trackpad
- Built-in full-size keyboard with 77 (U.S.) or 78 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys, 4 arrow keys (inverted T arrangement) and embedded numeric keypad
- Solid-state trackpad provides precise cursor control; supports tap, double-tap, drag and scrolling capabilities
Electrical and environmental
- Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
- Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC
- Frequency: 50 to 60 Hz
- Operating temperature: 10° to 35° C (50° to 95° F )
- Storage temperature: -25° to 45° C (-13° to 113° F)
- Relative humidity: 20% to 80% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 3,000 m (10,000 feet)
- Maximum storage altitude: 4,500 m (15,000 feet)
Size and weight (12.1-inch model)
- Height: 3.42 cm (1.35 inches)
- Width: 28.5 cm (11.2 inches)
- Depth: 23.0 cm (9.06 inches)
- Weight: 2.2 kg (4.9 pounds) (1)
Size and weight: (14.1-inch model)
- Height: 3.42 cm (1.35 inches)
- Width: 32.3 cm (12.7 inches)
- Depth: 25.9 cm (10.2 inches)
- Weight: 2.7 kg (5.9 pounds) (1)
- Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
- 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
- Compatible ISP and telephone services required. Your ISP may not support all V.92 features. Modem will function according to V.90 standards if V.92 services are not available. Actual modem speeds lower; speed depends on connection rate and other factors.
- Wireless Internet access requires AirPort Base Station or AirPort Extreme Base Station and Internet access (fees may apply). Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort. Range may vary with site conditions.
- You need an Apple SuperDrive to burn DVDs in iDVD, but you can save iDVD projects as an archive on iBook G4 models with a Combo Drive and later transfer them to a SuperDrive-equipped system and burn them to a DVD.
- Actual rates will vary.
- Battery life depends on configuration and use.
Internet access requires a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply. Product contains electronic documentation. Backup copy of software is included.
*=X-Australia, SA-Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines,India, TH-Thailand, TA-Taiwan, HK-Hong Kong, KH-Korea, CH-China.