The G-Technology G-RAID with Thunderbolt hard drive helps you get the most out of your professional content-creation applications. It's 12 times faster than FireWire 800, with raw speed that other I/O interfaces can't match.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- Ultra-fast, high-performance Thunderbolt interface technology
- Double the data transfer rates of USB 3.0 and more than 12 times faster than FireWire 800
- RAID 0 for maximum performance
- Supports multi-stream HDV, DVCPro HD, XDCAM HD, ProRes 422 and uncompressed SD workflows
- Dual Thunderbolt ports for easy access and daisy-chaining up to six Thunderbolt compatible peripherals
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS X
- 7200 RPM drive technology
- Solid all-aluminum case for ultimate durability
Did you notice?Thunderbolt technology gives you speeds 12 times faster than FireWire 800.
Apple Recommends ForManage multi-stream HDV, uncompressed SD and other high-capacity workflows on your Mac with ease.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-RAID with Thunderbolt external hard drive
- Thunderbolt Cable
- Power cable
- AC power adapter
- Quick start guide
- Other Features: Kensington Port, RAID support, Time Machine compatible, Upgradeable / Expandable
- Connections: Thunderbolt
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 3.37 in./8.57 cm
- Width: 5.12 in./13 cm
- Length: 9.25 in./23.5 cm
- Mac OS X v10.6 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G02272
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487189780
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three-year limited
Ratings & Reviews
Gets extremely hot, and then slow, and finally stuck
This one goes back to the apple store next week. The first thing I wanted to do was to copy my iTunes library to it. After 100 GB This one goes back to the apple store next week. The first thing I wanted to do was to copy my iTunes library to it. After 100 GB it was extremely hot and finally it was stuck doing nothing nothing. It is a good price per TB but considering the performance, this is not recommendable. …
- Written by Martin A from 新座市
143 of 179 people found this useful
Drives not hot-swappable. What's the point?
If I want the decent performances using RAID 0/5 + Thunderbolt (for video editing for instance), ideally I take 2xSSD
If I want t If I want the decent performances using RAID 0/5 + Thunderbolt (for video editing for instance), ideally I take 2xSSD
If I want the safe data storage using RAID 1 (for external backup of my data), I need hot swappable drives so I can change myself a failed drive.
None of these 2 key options are offered with the G-RAID.
So disappointing to wait so long to see the first G-Tech Thunderbolt device and finally get such a bungled design apparently worth $999... …
- Written by Clement B
136 of 189 people found this useful
Don t buy
Definitly not worth the price the design isn't that good and the performances are not better than my former eSATA drive, I should Definitly not worth the price the design isn't that good and the performances are not better than my former eSATA drive, I should have bought something capable of more than eSATA (300 MB/s) …
- Written by serious I
121 of 168 people found this useful
Happy with this drive.
I've had numerous hard drives and none have been perfect. This drive has a few faults, a bit more noise then others, bright LED an I've had numerous hard drives and none have been perfect. This drive has a few faults, a bit more noise then others, bright LED and such. But it does the job and does it very well. I'm quite happy with it! …
- Written by Tim M from Saskatoon
2 of 2 people found this useful
I have had this drive for about 18 months and I have only good things to say about it! It's connected to my top spec'ed mid 2011 I I have had this drive for about 18 months and I have only good things to say about it! It's connected to my top spec'ed mid 2011 Imac. I use this setup for video editing with FCPX. I edit directly from this disc and it performs fantastic! Recommended! …
- Written by Bent Are H from Bardu
8 of 11 people found this useful
Blazing fast data transfers, relatively quiet and cool running. Sleeps when not in use. Built solid as far as I can tell. The only Blazing fast data transfers, relatively quiet and cool running. Sleeps when not in use. Built solid as far as I can tell. The only thing I would change is that darn light on the front...there needs to be a way to dim that...I use this as part of my Mac Mini HTPC setup, and man, is it distracting. Going to have to go old school, and tape over it. Grrr. Otherwise, it seems solid, and haas given me no issues. …
- Written by James P from Denver
7 of 11 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
which data cable do i require for the for the G-Tech 4TB G-RAID Thunderbolt Hard Drive
- Asked by Lucy M
- Aug 13, 2012
You need a Thunderbolt port, it won't connect or work on Firewire.
- Answered by Martin M from Poole
- Sep 7, 2012
does the G-drive 4 TB Thunderbolt external hard drive come with a thunderbolt cable?
- Asked by Paul C from Philadelphia
- Sep 18, 2013
Yes. I just ordered mine and it came in today. It was the first thing in the box
- Answered by Jake C from Springfield
- Jan 24, 2014
is it compatible with os 10.9 with no problems?
- Asked by Oliver B
- Nov 4, 2013
I have not noticed any problems.
- Answered by David A
- Nov 24, 2014
Does this act as a storage facility as well? As I want to store photos on it
- Asked by Jon H
- Nov 20, 2014
It IS a storage facility; you can store any kind of file on it, including photos, or you can use it It IS a storage facility; you can store any kind of file on it, including photos, or you can use it as a TimeMachine backup. …
- Answered by David A
- Nov 24, 2014
Looking to get into filming weddings. I will have lots of footage. So as not fill Comp HD- will this G drive be quick with final cut x?
- Asked by Gerald M from Cinnaminson
- Jul 10, 2013
Yes. I use one for Final Cut Pro X. It is fast and reliable.
- Answered by Martin N
- May 2, 2014