Which has the best audio reproduction, the optical or HDMI connection?
- Asked by Richard C from Greenlawn
- Flag as inappropriate (Which has the best audio reproduction, the optical or HDMI connection?)
3 Answers from the Community
Ofcourse the HDMI output will provide the best audio reproduction.
The TOSLINK optical output is limited to provide the uncompressed 2 channel PCM audio and compressed 5.1 audio LPCM. Whereas if you connect the HDMI output to an AV receivers which can support the DTS HD Master Audio, you can enjoy the uncompressed 24 bit / 192 kHz sample audio.
Hope this helps.
- Answered by Raghuvaran P
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Optical is the best, cleanest, purist, distortion free on the market still to this day. No resistance or signal loss
- Answered by Jeremiah W from West Palm Beach
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
They're the same ting. A digital audio signal of the same specifications will sound the same. Optical was the first format to provide this, HDMI includes the audio digital signal as well as the digital video data, plus some unused bandwidth. For my purpose, I am going to use the optical signal for a discrete signal from AppleTV to my receiver, bypassing the HDMI audio which routes tot eh TV set. I think another way around this is to use the 2-way HDMI port on some devices, but I am not clear on that method.
- Answered by James R from Penfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can it connect to apple tv with a wire via the optical audio?
- Asked by Jeff B from Brownsburg
- Jul 12, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it connect to apple tv with a wire via the optical audio?)
- Asked about: Ultimate Ears BOOM Wireless Speaker…
Do I have to use optical audio out or will sound come through HDMI?
- Asked by Ralph W from Worcester
- Feb 21, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I have to use optical audio out or will sound come through HDMI?)
- Asked about: Apple TV