Which has the best audio reproduction, the optical or HDMI connection?
- Asked by Richard C from Greenlawn
- Flag as inappropriate (Which has the best audio reproduction, the optical or HDMI connection?)
3 Answers from the Community
Ofcourse the HDMI output will provide the best audio reproduction.
The TOSLINK optical output is limited to provide the uncompressed 2 channel PCM audio and compressed 5.1 audio LPCM. Whereas if you connect the HDMI output to an AV receivers which can support the DTS HD Master Audio, you can enjoy the uncompressed 24 bit / 192 kHz sample audio.
Hope this helps.
- Answered by Raghuvaran P
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
They're the same ting. A digital audio signal of the same specifications will sound the same. Optical was the first format to provide this, HDMI includes the audio digital signal as well as the digital video data, plus some unused bandwidth. For my purpose, I am going to use the optical signal for a discrete signal from AppleTV to my receiver, bypassing the HDMI audio which routes tot eh TV set. I think another way around this is to use the 2-way HDMI port on some devices, but I am not clear on that method.
- Answered by James R from Penfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Optical is the best, cleanest, purist, distortion free on the market still to this day. No resistance or signal loss
- Answered by Jeremiah W from West Palm Beach
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can the optical cable be used stand alone? Without a converter?
- Asked by Roger S from Granville
- Aug 14, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the optical cable be used stand alone? Without a converter?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 18 ft./5.5 m Optical Ca…
Can I use this to connect my new Apple TV to my old Apple TV as we need to use the audio optical port for sound?
- Asked by Karen T
- Jan 20, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to connect my new Apple TV to my old Apple TV as we need to use the audio optical port for sound?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter