Range of bulb from base station
How far from the base station are the bulbs reachable. Will I need multiple starter packs to control multiple rooms in my home? How do the bulbs communicate? Bluetooth? 802.11?
Is there any kind of authentication or paring needed for the bulbs? I wonder what would happen if a neighbor bought a kit as well, would they be able to "take over" my lights?
- Asked by Cody S from Fort Wayne
- Flag as inappropriate (Range of bulb from base station)
- Asked about: Philips Hue Connected Bulb - Starte…
2 Answers from the Community
The frequency the system uses is 2.4Ghz. The actual system is called Zigbee, as long as one bulb is in range of the router, the other bulbs can connect to each other, forming a 'mesh network'. Every bulb does not have to be in range with the router.
The bulbs 'authenticate' with the router, so a neighbour cannot take over your bulbs, they have to be paired. The three bulbs that come with the starter kit are already authenticated with the bridge.
- Answered by David H from Mophett Vale
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The system works by wifi, so range depends on how well your wifi setup covers your home. Each bulb needs to be paired with the bridge. The bulbs in the starter pack are already paired upon purchase. New ones, once paired, are controlled only from the bridge they are paired with.
- Answered by Michael D from Iowa City
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
What is the range the Express Base?
- Asked by Ricardo H from Thornton
- Dec 8, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the range the Express Base?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
what happens when the light bulb burns out?
- Asked by Jason H from Toronto
- Jan 4, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (what happens when the light bulb burns out?)
- Asked about: Sengled Pulse Dimmable LED Light wi…
No answers yet
Can you use AP Extreme to extend the range of your network? I currently use a Time Capsule as my Base Station.
- Asked by Sandeep G from Duluth
- Aug 31, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use AP Extreme to extend the range of your network? I currently use a Time Capsule as my Base Station.)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme