can i use iMacs thunderbolt port with this device with a firewire/thunderbolt adapter
- Asked by Stuart D from Rolling Hills Estates
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use iMacs thunderbolt port with this device with a firewire/thunderbolt adapter)
2 Answers from the Community
Yes, I have a daisy chain of several drives that are FireWire on the Thunderbolt to FireWire converter cable. I understand the drives need to be AC powered (plugged in). The Thunderbolt port can not power the Drives as I have them set up. But, it is very fast. You will enjoy the true Firewire 800 speed.
- Answered by Mark C from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You would not achieve the same 10Gb/ps (1.25 GB/ps) sequential read/write speeds of Thunderbolt, but it would definitely work. Just make sure you buy the Thunderbolt to FireWire adaptor, because it will not work the other way around.
But, you can also use the built in USB 2.0/3.0 port that came built-in on your iMac. The data transfer rates will be faster, if your iMac features USB 3.0.
- Answered by Teij S from Chilliwack
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
How many devices can be connected - simultaneously - to one thunderbolt port?
- Asked by Diego G from Salvador
- Oct 28, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (How many devices can be connected - simultaneously - to one thunderbolt port?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - W…
How many monitors can I use on a 2011 27" iMac with dual Thunderbolt ports?
- Asked by Michael M from Cedar City
- Jun 2, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (How many monitors can I use on a 2011 27" iMac with dual Thunderbolt ports?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter