Does this adapter carry analog signals, converts it, or uses apple trickery?
This is really bugging me. I want to hook my unibody mbp up to my tv via composite cable. Composite is roughly the analog components of VGA. VGA is analog, correct? but the pin-out on the mini display port does not specify a dedicated analog path. but it does have vague reverences to non-video data lines (pin 2 and 4)
I have tried mini DP ->DVI-I adapter, to a DVI-I -> component cable with no success. (implying no analog present at all)
so, how is analog getting out of the port for VGA? is there a feedback resistor inside the adapter which is communicating with the video card to specify digital for the DVI-d adapter, and analog for the VGA adapter? what this all is implying to me is you only get analog out of the graphics card with a VGA adapter and only digital with the DVI-d.
- Asked by Tucker P from Loveland
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter carry analog signals, converts it, or uses apple trickery?)
2 Answers from the Community
To my awareness, VGA is only Analogue. The DVI Apple offers is the DVI-D version, and therefore digital. I don't know all the fancy terms for it, but in so many words as far as I'm aware, this is Analogue, and the DVI-D version Apple supply is the only Digital version they offer...
- Answered by Andrew P
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
All digital. It starts digital from your iDevice and passes along HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) and straight to your HD monitor. Never gets converted. Now if your using a component Analog converter then yes it will be a standard D to A conversion common to most devices of this time. Unfortunately we live in the time of A to D conversions but analog is fighting tough
- Answered by Clarence B from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will is work as a direct connection between the iPad hdmi output and convert the digital signal to VGA analog out that will work on a projector?
- Asked by Collin B from Lakewood
- Jul 27, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will is work as a direct connection between the iPad hdmi output and convert the digital signal to VGA analog out that will work on a projector?)
- Asked about: Kanex ATV Pro X HDMI to VGA Adapter…
Digital to analog conversion of audio
- Asked by Ernest P from Tallahassee
- Sep 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Digital to analog conversion of audio)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter
No answers yet
what is the downside to this being digital only rather than digital and analog?
- Asked by Ahad B from Glendale
- Feb 21, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the downside to this being digital only rather than digital and analog?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter