Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?
The only limitation I have with the current generation of Airport Express is the fact that I can only plug in one wired device when using it to extend or join a current network. If someone gets one of these and has an existing network, could you please find out if both ports are usable or if you need to buy an external hub to connect 2 wired devices to the network.
- Asked by Julian A from Gilbert
- Flag as inappropriate (Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?)
1 Answer from the Community
No... the WAN port is for a WAN - it's not a LAN port, so it still only has one LAN connection. It is not a switch. You would need to buy a switch to have multiple wired connections connecting to this Airport Express. I'd suggest at home just a good brand one for about £20 ($30) and at least 10/100 if not 10/100/1000.
Don't use a Hub. I'm not sure many people use them since the early 90s!
- Answered by Bobak F
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
AE setting up a new network vs extending an existing network is new better? Looking to boost Wifi in low signal places in the house & outside.
- Asked by Paula P from Oxford
- May 3, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (AE setting up a new network vs extending an existing network is new better? Looking to boost Wifi in low signal places in the house & outside.)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can it be used as a video INPUT port on the ipad?
- Asked by Alex Z from Monfalcone Go
- Mar 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it be used as a video INPUT port on the ipad?)
- Asked about: Lightning Digital AV Adapter