Will a airport express 2.4/5Ghz. affect the performance of a mac mini @ 2.3Ghz?
Ive been running my 2009 macbook pro w/ a airport express 2.5/5Ghz. and achieving great internet speeds. Recently I purchased a mac mini operating at 2.3 Ghz. and it seems to be running slower than the old macbook did w/ the same airport express. Everything else between the two devices seems to be compatible as far as i can tell.
Can this small difference in bandwidth affect the performance of the new mac mini in this way?
- Asked by Jeff W from Tuscaloosa
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a airport express 2.4/5Ghz. affect the performance of a mac mini @ 2.3Ghz?)
1 Answer from the Community
2.4 GHz on the Airport Express refers to the frequency of the radio waves used to communicate with your computer over wifi. All computers use 2.4 GHz over wifi. The 2.3 GHz that your MacMini spec mention is the speed at which it can do calculations. It can calculate 2.3 billion things each second. This has nothing to do with wifi at all and so shouldn't affect the speed of wireless connections in any way.
If you're getting slow wifi performance, first make sure there is a good line of sight between your MacMini and airport express (or at least remove as many obstacles as possible) If you're still having trouble, try changing the channel your wifi is set up to use in Airport Utility. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are usually best because they don't overlap each other, but try a few until you find a good one because your neighbour's wifi may be clashing with yours and they end up fighting for space in the air waves.
- Answered by Stuart M
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Would a mac mini work for some light Photoshop work and video editing plus some light gaming if i got the 2.3 GHz i7, the fusion drive with 8gb RAM?
- Asked by Cynog W
- Jun 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Would a mac mini work for some light Photoshop work and video editing plus some light gaming if i got the 2.3 GHz i7, the fusion drive with 8gb RAM?)
- Asked about: Mac
Is there any affect on performance if the AE is laid on its side?
- Asked by Steven S from San Jose
- Jun 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there any affect on performance if the AE is laid on its side?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can I install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on a late 2012 mac mini?
- Asked by Brad H from Maryville
- Sep 16, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on a late 2012 mac mini?)
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard