Will this work with a PowerBook G4 pre-Intel?
We currently have an Airport router that was purchased at the same time as the PowerBook G4 pre-Intel. Our internet provider said that Airport is greatly slowing down data transmission. Will a new Airport solve this problem? And, will the new Airport work with the G4 laptop? Thank you.
- Asked by Debra G from Superior
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with a PowerBook G4 pre-Intel?)
1 Answer from the Community
Absolutely. My pre intel power mac G5 is still the fastest and most stable machine on my network. Hang on to the pre intel equipment. Mine is still working flawlessly. It is fussy with some modern softwares and cannot stream some things (ex. Netflix) but its stability is worth keeping. Bullet proof machine and it is over 10 years old.
Your G4 is probably running at least tiger? If not Leopard OSX?
The airport could be slowing you down. It sound like you may have an older generation. My Airport Extreme is delivering 802.11 n speeds flawlessly. My ISP ethernet speed test comes in at typically 50 mbps. My Airport extreme delivers consistently 35 to 40 mbps wirelessly.
Check with your isp. If they are delivering gigabit potential, then you will have to go to a 3rd generation to get the 802.11 ac speeds.
But the G4 and G5 pre intels cannot take advantage of gigabit speeds. But will perform in the 10/100 mbps ethernet range flawlessly.
Hope this helps.
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will it work on the Powerbook G4
- Asked by Fred G from Gilbert
- Dec 1, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it work on the Powerbook G4)
- Asked about: Apple Remote
Will this work with a 2005, 15", 1.67ghz, G4 Powerbook? It has 10.5, but is not Intel.
- Asked by Jessica D from Burleson
- Feb 14, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with a 2005, 15", 1.67ghz, G4 Powerbook? It has 10.5, but is not Intel.)
- Asked about: LaCie 4TB USB 3.0 Porsche Design P'…
Can this be used on a PowerBook G4?
- Asked by Jonathan M from Farmington
- Mar 9, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used on a PowerBook G4?)
- Asked about: Apple USB Ethernet Adapter