Does the new Snow Leopard have any anti-virus, trojan or spyware protection built in?
2 Answers from the Community
10.6 Snow Leopard has a new feature that protects you against malware files. This combined with Unix security built into the Operating System means you can browse the web safely. Apple also provides security updates to users addressing new exploits are discovered in the industry.
You can feel safe with Mac OS X as it is one of the most secure Operating Systems.
- Answered by Thomas F from Marstons Mills
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
It depends on what you mean by "protection."
The Good News. Snow Leopard and Lion do indeed both have powerful, buit-in security features. These include the ability to "lock down" user accounts in ways that make it quite difficult for malware to gain control WITHOUT THE OWNER'S CONSENT.
However, the bad guys are getting quite adept at using social engineering -- for example, phony java update pop-ups -- to fool you into entering an administrative password so malware can install itself. This is how the "Flashback" trojan reportedly infected nearly half a million Macs in early 2012. (The phony pop-ups are getting increasingly authentic-looking, so much so that I personally dismiss ALL these alerts, and either run Software Update, or go directly to the vendor's website by hand-entering the URL into Safari.)
Also, AFAIK, no version of Mac OS X to date has a dedicated antivirus, anti-trojan or anti-spyware program "built in."
This is why you now see selected, high quality anti-Malware programs offered both in the Apple Store and through the Mac app store. If you're a sophisticated user, and willing to turn off Java and Java-Script in your browsers, you may not need such a program. However, the question you're asking right now is a sign that you probably do need one, IMO.
- Answered by Arthur J from West Chester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Best anti virus/spyware /malware to cover Mc Book Air
- Asked by Paul G
- Dec 11, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Best anti virus/spyware /malware to cover Mc Book Air)
- Asked about: Mac
What virus/malware/spyware protection comes with Mac pro out of the box? How does ESET cyber security differ from protection preinstalled?
- Asked by Henry H from Albany
- Aug 29, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (What virus/malware/spyware protection comes with Mac pro out of the box? How does ESET cyber security differ from protection preinstalled?)
- Asked about: ESET Cyber Security 2014 Edition
should I get an anti-virus for my new IMAC yosemtie
- Asked by Timothy G from Mount Vernon
- Sep 5, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (should I get an anti-virus for my new IMAC yosemtie)
- Asked about: Mac