Hard drive crashed on my 08 MacBook Pro that ran Leopard. can I install 10.6 on the new bare hard drive without issues? Any advice at all? Thanks!
1 Answer from the Community
If you have an Intel-based Mac, you can install Snow Leopard.
All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your new hard drive. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files. Also, if you have another partition with an older OS on it, at some point during the installation, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition.)
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?
- Asked by John B from Astoria
- Sep 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
So how will I connect my hard drive to the computer?
- Asked by Aubrey G from Sherman Oaks
- Apr 10, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (So how will I connect my hard drive to the computer?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter