I have a late 2008 macbook 2.4 aluminum with 250 GB HD and I wanted to start using time machine.
How big of a EHD do I need.
- Asked by Gary M from Avon Park
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a late 2008 macbook 2.4 aluminum with 250 GB HD and I wanted to start using time machine.)
2 Answers from the Community
Actually, you can use any size hard drive that is at least 20% larger than the total size of your data. But to be safe and covered up to the extent of filling your internal hard drive, you will need a 250gb or larger, hard drive to accommodate your Time Machine backup image up to the point that you have filled your internal hard drive. 500gb drives are the most economical to purchase this fall. You will need a USB drive because your MacBook does not have a firewire port. Be sure to repartition your new drive to GUID and use HFS+ Extended and Journaled formatting. Time Machine will notify you when your backup drive gets full and will inform you that backups are going to be combined and copies of deleted data are going to be removed from the backup to allow for more space to backup current data.
- Answered by Larry P from Little Rock
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Quick Answer: Get a 250GB (or 320 for close to the same price)external HDD.
Detailed Answer: Time Machine will back up all files, then continue to add to that back up. Let's say you only keep about 100GB of data on your internal drive. Time Machine would back that up, then keep adding to it as time passed, until the external is full. So the bigger the drive, the "further back in time" you can go.
If your goal is only to have an up-to-date backup of everything, then your external drive needs to only be as large as the space you currently/plan to use on your internal.
- Answered by Steven M from Durham
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will this work with my old macbook. the late 2008. it has the original mag safe. my macbook is the 2.4 ghz with 250gb hard drive.
- Asked by Howard W from Vancouver
- Jun 13, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with my old macbook. the late 2008. it has the original mag safe. my macbook is the 2.4 ghz with 250gb hard drive.)
- Asked about: Apple 45W MagSafe Power Adapter for…
Where do I Buy a New MacBook Battery for 13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008?
- Asked by Melody J D from Los Angeles
- Jan 26, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Where do I Buy a New MacBook Battery for 13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008?)
- Asked about: Mac
Will this remote work with the Late 2008 MacBook(Aluminum)?
- Asked by Noah R from Columbia
- Dec 18, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this remote work with the Late 2008 MacBook(Aluminum)?)
- Asked about: Apple Remote