If I have leopard installed, can I download mountain lion from a friends computer using my own apple id, and do a clean install on my own computer?
I friend of mine has leopard installed to his laptop. Can he skip the upgrades to snow leopard and lion by downloading mountain lion from my computer using his own apple id to do a clean install on his own laptop?
Why upgrade from leopard to an outdated snow leopard operating system, then to another outdated lion, when he can just do a clean install of mountain lion over his previous leopard?
My thinking was he could download mountain lion thru apple from my computer using his own apple id, then do a clean install of mountain lion over leopard on his own computer.
1 Answer from the Community
Technically, this is possible, provided his system meets the base requirements for Mountain Lion. However, you need to be very confident technically. There are some articles around on the net which can guide you.
A few things to note:
1) The upgrade path is: Snow Leopard -> Mountain Lion. There is no need to install Lion to get Mountain Lion.
2) From a licensing perspective, I think that he needs to purchase Snow Leopard.
3) An in place upgrade will preserve his files, installed applications and settings. A clan install will require that he reinstall any applications that he currently has installed - which can take hours.
- Answered by Rodney W from Niddrie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
will it work with mountain lion?
- Asked by Alexandria C from Cerrillos
- Aug 19, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (will it work with mountain lion?)
- Asked about: Logitech TrackMan Marble Trackball
I have a Mac with Snow Leopard installed.I would like to upgrade to Lion. Would I still be able to use Adobe CS3 that is on my computer
- Asked by Bettina G from Jupiter
- May 20, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Mac with Snow Leopard installed.I would like to upgrade to Lion. Would I still be able to use Adobe CS3 that is on my computer)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)