Will Snow Leopard bought in this manner install on a completely blank hard drive or do i need to be running a previous version of OS X?
1 Answer from the Community
Any version of Snow Leopard will install on a completely blank hard drive.
All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your new hard drive. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files. Also, if you have another partition with an older OS on it, at some point during the installation, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition.)
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
If i have bought the os x 10.6 Snow Leopard in order to download to os x 10.7 do i need to buy this as well?
- Asked by Alain B from Newark
- Dec 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (If i have bought the os x 10.6 Snow Leopard in order to download to os x 10.7 do i need to buy this as well?)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
i need a keyboard for powerpc g4 os x 10.4 or a after market that is compatible model-M7803.
- Asked by Laura J from Lake Elsinore
- Apr 6, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (i need a keyboard for powerpc g4 os x 10.4 or a after market that is compatible model-M7803.)
- Asked about: Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad …
Does this work with garageband 3.0.5 or will I need a later version?
- Asked by Jeffrey S
- May 24, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with garageband 3.0.5 or will I need a later version?)
- Asked about: Apogee JAM Guitar Input