can I use the non-grounded portion of my 60W magsafe charger in Europe without running the risk of damaging my macbook pro 13"?
I am traveling to Europe from the US and I plan on bringing my MacBook Pro 13". I only want to bring the smaller portion of my 60W magsafe charger to take up less room. Will I run the risk of damaging my computer if I don't bring the Ground plug portion of my charger? Or will it not matter? FYI the ground plug portion is the three prong part compared to the non-grounded two prong part.
1 Answer from the Community
You won't damage the computer. The only thing you'll lose is some protection for yourself in case the computer or power supply exposed a live AC current. I've used ungrounded adaptors in both Europe and Africa without problem.
Practically speaking you may want to try out different ends to see what fits best into the power adaptor you're going to use in Europe. You can actually get European-type ends for the power adaptor which are the best solution, but otherwise I fear the tiny US 2-prong part of the adaptor may not fit so nicely as the longer cord when you're plugging into a US to European adaptor.
- Answered by David R
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does the 85W MagSafe2 Power adapter work on my macbook pro with 13 inch retina display without any damage?
- Asked by Yaxue L from Gainesville
- Dec 16, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the 85W MagSafe2 Power adapter work on my macbook pro with 13 inch retina display without any damage?)
- Asked about: Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (…
Could I use this converter with a 85W Magsafe 1 charger to charge a 2014 Macbook Pro Retina 13" that normally uses a 60W charger?
- Asked by Jacob S from West Bloomfield
- May 21, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Could I use this converter with a 85W Magsafe 1 charger to charge a 2014 Macbook Pro Retina 13" that normally uses a 60W charger?)
- Asked about: MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter
Can this be used with a 60W MagSafe adapter?
- Asked by Sikandar K
- Sep 1, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used with a 60W MagSafe adapter?)
- Asked about: Power Adapter Extension Cable